What's for Dinner? Monday, November 3rd

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve Kroll

Wine Guy
I made a stir fry of pork and cabbage in hoisin sauce. I can't believe I forgot to snap a photo tonight, because it looked as good as it tasted. Oh well. You'll have to use your imagination. ;)

I pan roasted a pork tenderloin, made some sour cream mashed potatoes and steamed some baby sweet peas.

Banquet Salisbury Pot Pie.

Hey, I shopped from 7am to Noon. I didn't feel like cooking.

Pork loin roast coated with a bit of garlic salt and a heavy coating of Herbes de Provence, then cooked at high temp until the internal temperature reached 145 degrees F. Our sides included baked sweet potatoes and buttered baby lima beans. Iced tea to drink and anniversary cake for dessert.

We finished up the beef barley mushroom soup, and made sandwiches with the leftover lunch meat from Saturday's subs. Copious amounts of tea because I still can't shake a sore throat.

I made Purple Alien Giraffe's Potato and Italian Sausage Bake:

Potato and Italian Sausage Bake

This is not a low calory dish. You probably can figure that out just by the title. It is a really tastey dish and is good as a side to a large green salad (or other veggie heavy dish).

You will need a 9" x 9" baking dish. I used a ceramic casserole dish and that worked well.

1/2 lb sweet or mild Italian bulk sausage
Potatoes, any kind (I used 8 small to medium yukon golds but the number of potatoes you need will vary depending on potato size), thinly sliced, enough for three layers in your baking dish
2/3 cup sweet red pepper, finely chopped
1/2 medium yellow onion (about baseball size), thinly sliced
About 1 tblsp minced or crushed garlic
3, 1/2 tsp oregano (there are three layers, you need 1/2 tsp for each)
3, 1/2 tsp basil (there are three layers, you need 1/2 tsp for each)
1/4 cup grated asiago
1/2 cup grated parmesan split into two equal portions
Flour
Milk or cream

Lightly brown the sausage, breaking it up into small chunks and crumbles as it cooks. When finished, drain extremely well and set aside to cool. Slice, chop, mince, etc. the peppers, onions, garlic, and potatoes. Grate the cheese.

Preheat the oven to 350 F.

Lightly oil or butter the sides and bottom of your baking dish. Sprinkle flour into dish and shake around to coat the bottom and sides. It's OK if there is a small amount of loose flour left.

Begin with a layer of potatoes on the bottom of the dish. The layer doesn't have to be overlapping, you can leave little gaps. Sprinkle 1/3 of the sausage over the potatoes, letting some of it settle into the gaps. Sprinkle in half of the garlic making sure to get a little all over the layer. Sprinkle in 1/3 of the red pepper. Dust all of this with a small amount of flour (like you would for scallop potatoes). The flour should lightly coat everything without being so thick that you can't see the ingredients underneath. Now sprinkle half the parmesan cheese, 1/2 tsp oregano, and 1/2 tsp basil over the layer. Layer on 1/3 of the thinly sliced onions.

For the next layer, repeat the above process but use the 1/4 cup asiago in place of the parmesan. For the final layer, repeat the process again only without the garlic and using the remaining parmesan.

Once the layers are finished, gently pour in milk or cream, just enough to come up the sides and just barely cover the top layer of potatoes. Bake at 350 F for 30 minutes, then turn the oven up to 400 F and bake for another 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Remove from oven and let cool for 10 to 15 minutes to give it time to set up (this is the hardest part because it smells really good). Cut, serve, and enjoy.

That was her recipe, and I didn't change anything. It was wonderful! Thank you, Purple Alien Giraffe, it was purrfect and definitely a keeper!

I hope all of you will try this. It is just terrific! It went to my recipe book, and I plan to try others' recipes too!
!
Thanks again, Purple Alien Giraffe. You gave me something different and we love it.

Spinach salad with warm bacon dressing and crab stuffed mushroom caps. Got stuffing leftover so guess we'll do some stuffed shrimp or something tonight.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom