Chicken Wings (Hot Wings) to work

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't do chicken wings as often as I used to due to cost. Prices have just about doubled in the last 3 or 4 years. And when I do wings I always do them in minimum of 5 lb batches.

I don't do chicken wings as often as I used to due to cost. Prices have just about doubled in the last 3 or 4 years. And when I do wings I always do them in minimum of 5 lb batches.

I agree about the price of wings now. Besides, the ones in the grocery seem to be from itty bitty chickens. How does that happen when chicken breasts are huge? Funny looking chickens me thinks.

Someone here turned me on to Costco chicken wings, and I'll never buy them anywhere else now. The cost is reasonable and the wings are big and meaty.

I sometimes buy fresh wings from Costco. When I have a small crowd to feed I'll even get their 10 bags of frozen party wings and simply dump the entire contents on a large outdoor grill, season them as they grill, and shuffle them using two very large spachulas. I don't have the patience of turning each and every piece or sauce them as they grill. Faster and easier to just shuffle them like stir fried vegetables. They always come out nicely charred. :)))

Last edited:
I sometimes buy fresh wings from Costco. When I have a small crowd to feed I'll even get their 10 bags of frozen party wings and simply dump the entire contents on a large outdoor grill, season them as they grill, and shuffle them using two very large spachulas. I don't have the patience of turning each and every piece or sauce them as they grill. Faster and easier to just shuffle them like stir fried vegetables. They always come out nicely charred. :)))

I'm way too anal. I have to turn each wing section individually.

I used to buy the 10 pound bag of frozen wings from Costco but found them to be too uneven in size. Some so tiny they're hardly recognizable.

Now I buy their vacuum packed fresh wings in six-packs. They're much better. You have to trim off the tips and separate the sections but I think it's worth it. The tips are saved for stock. Reasonably priced compared to the supermarket version.

Last edited:
Now I buy their vacuum packed fresh wings in six-packs. They're much better. You have to trim off the tips and separate the sections but I think it's worth it. The tips are saved for stock. Reasonably priced compared to the supermarket version.

That's what I usually get from Costco. Couple of members of my family love the crunchy, almost burnt wing tips so I usually just leave them on. Only problem with that is they end up taking so much precious grill space.
This week, our local supermarket is having a 50% off any packaged Foster Farms chicken so in this instance this sale price was a lot cheaper than Costco. Costco's fresh chicken also comes from Foster Farms here.

Last edited:
I'm way too anal. I have to turn each wing section individually.

I used to buy the 10 pound bag of frozen wings from Costco but found them to be too uneven in size. Some so tiny they're hardly recognizable.

I do the same Andy, although I leave the two sections together, and cut through the web for better cooking. Makes for half the turning time as well.

I do the same Andy, although I leave the two sections together, and cut through the web for better cooking. Makes for half the turning time as well.

SO and I are 100% compatible when it comes to wing geography. I like the drumettes and she likes the other section. If I don't cut them, we each have to do that work at the dinner table.

You're exactly right Chief. I was thinking you were saying to skin the wings. ;)

I do a similar sauce for my chicken and it's the bomb as the kids would say. :chef:

I've skinned wings before, but found that it was not worth the effort. Now if you remove the skins from thighs and breasts, fry them into cracklings, with a touch of salt, and something good to dip them in, that's good eatin'!.

Whoa, I'm starting to lose my Northern identity. I've go to step back.;)

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

SO and I are 100% compatible when it comes to wing geography. I like the drumettes and she likes the other section. If I don't cut them, we each have to do that work at the dinner table.

Now that's convenient Andy. For those who don't prefer one over the other, it's a very good method in terms of turning lots of them on the grill. Jointing them on the plate is a snap.

img_1397540_0_daf552ca05caa7be525cee64a3490ff4.jpg

Now that's convenient Andy. For those who don't prefer one over the other, it's a very good method in terms of turning lots of them on the grill. Jointing them on the plate is a snap.

img_1397952_0_daf552ca05caa7be525cee64a3490ff4.jpg

This is the way to go. Broil, bake or grill and then you don't have to worry about crispness. Toss with sauce after cooking. Simple and very tasty. No oven, no problem.
They are excellent like this BTW!

This is the way to go. Broil, bake or grill and then you don't have to worry about crispness. Toss with sauce after cooking. Simple and very tasty. No oven, no problem.
They are excellent like this BTW!

I prefer grilling to roasting by a wide margin but sometimes it's too cold to go out to the grill.

I prefer grilling to roasting by a wide margin but sometimes it's too cold to go out to the grill.

You're right! Man when it gets down into the mid 40's or 50's, grilling can really get tuff!:innocent:

You're right! Man when it gets down into the mid 40's or 50's, grilling can really get tuff!:innocent:

I was thinking more like below freezing.

My grill is on my deck right outside the slider in the dining area so it's easy for me to pop in and out to flip or turn something and go right back in.

Back
Top Bottom