Homemade creamed corn?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyndalou

Head Chef
Just wondering. I am making creamed corn for a pot luck dinner at a friend's home for Thanksgiving. I think I'd like to add a little freshly gated nutmeg to the casserole. Do any of you do this?

Sure. I add a tiny bit of fresh grated nutmeg to my corn casserole. Not too much.

After you make the creamed corn, take a little aside and add in the nutmeg to see if you like it.

Never thought about doing that but it sounds like a good idea and I'll be trying next time I make creamed corn.

No, but I am not a big nutmeg fan. I agree with Andy. the problem with nutmeg is that it sometimes takes over a dish. In the south we just use corn and a little butter and a frying pan. Think I will lay some out to thaw for dinner tonight.

No, but I am not a big nutmeg fan. I agree with Andy. the problem with nutmeg is that it sometimes takes over a dish. In the south we just use corn and a little butter and a frying pan. Think I will lay some out to thaw for dinner tonight.

Well, in my part of the south, we use bacon grease, as well as butter, sometimes even the crumbled up bacon if we have to fry some if there's no grease on hand already, and some milk or cream too. Different parts of the south and different families all have their ways of cooking things.

Medtran49 - that sounds tooo good. I think the corn makes a difference. We only raise Silver Queen white corn. There is lots of "milk" when you cut the corn. I have one of the corn cutters and it has a blade on it that removes the milk from the cobb. If I need to I will add some milk, but this years was super tasty.

You're SOOOOO lucky you get to have fresh cut corn. I'm stuck with grocery store corn now so there's not much "milk" left by the time they get to me. I always run the edge of the knife down the cob after cutting off the kernels to get as much milk as possible but there's hardly any left compared to fresh cut, even if you buy the corn husk on.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom