Any Birds Being Smoked For T-Day?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CraigC

Master Chef
SIL got a 12# turkey from work, but they already had the meal set. They are giving the bird to us, along with one granddaughter for the holiday!:)

The bird will get brined and smoked, with a nice maple glaze at the end. Since I'll have extra room in the pit, I'll do something else as well.

I smoke at least one turkey every Thanksgiving season. This year however, we've gotten about 4 foot of snow on the level. I haven't had time to clear out a path to my Webber. It laterally has a snow-cap on top that is as tall as i am, and I can't get to it through the snow.:ohmy: It'll be only roasted turkey this year. Besides, I'll be enjoying the meal down state with Sprout, P.A.G. and my DGD's and my sons-in-law. No Webber to cook on there.

By the way, your smoked turkey with maple glaze sounds amazing. I usually don't put a glaze on my smoked turkey. On my smoked hams though, well, that's a different story.:yum:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Since my wife and her side of of the family like wet turkey she'll be doing her turkey in the oven. A few of us in the family, including myself, like my turkey, traditional, with gravy so I'll be doing a small, pre-brined 12 pounder in the upright drum smoker. I'll toss in a chunk of mild fruitwood for smoke.

Hubby doesn't like Turkey; so we're probably getting a whole chicken stuffed with a fusion combo of traditional and ethnic stuffing.

Since my wife and her side of of the family like wet turkey she'll be doing her turkey in the oven. A few of us in the family, including myself, like my turkey, traditional, with gravy so I'll be doing a small, pre-brined 12 pounder in the upright drum smoker. I'll toss in a chunk of mild fruitwood for smoke.

Doesn't UDS mean Ugly Drum Smoker in your neck if the woods?:innocent:

I just picked up the turkeys today. They are fresh, Amish raised birds about 12# each. The original plan fell through as the bird was not brought home with the granddaughter.:(

Doesn't UDS mean Ugly Drum Smoker in your neck if the woods?:innocent:

Yes it does. When I'm in the BBQ only forum people know UDS as the ugly drum smoker. But here in DC most people don't know what a UDS is so I usually use the term 'upright drum smoker' so they get the idea.... :)

Last edited:
Hubby doesn't like Turkey; so we're probably getting a whole chicken stuffed with a fusion combo of traditional and ethnic stuffing.

Smoked chicken is also good, but I've never heard of smoking a stuffed one. How much time does that add to the cook and what is your choice of wood?

Doin It

Doin' it
Gonna smoke a bird and been looking round fer marinades for the bird on Turkeyday. Gonna go with bourbon, apple juice, maple syrup, brown sugar, Tbs. or tps. of a special hot rub ("Wild Willy's Number-wunderful rub") and a little garlic oil cause ya just have to have garlic and some oil. Gonna stuff it with green apples, carrots, onions, little celery. Gonna smoke it with apple wood. Wha'ya think? :chef:

Turkey went in the brine this morning. I just finished rubbing the butts and they are iced down. Got some splits ready to stoke the fire at 4 am.;)

A little more color and I'll wrap it.
36788-albums318-picture6147.jpg

A little more color and I'll wrap it.
36788-albums318-picture6147.jpg

Looks like my tunnel smoker. The hinges are exact. What brand is yours? Mine is not very efficient. Uses way to much fuel.
How much fuel does your smoker require for a job like this?
Looks really good BTW!

Looks like my tunnel smoker. The hinges are exact. What brand is yours? Mine is not very efficient. Uses way to much fuel.
How much fuel does your smoker require for a job like this?
Looks really good BTW!

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f93/now-im-ready-for-the-fourth-90220.html

It was cold when I started the cook, so it took a bit of wood to get to temp and maintain it. As the sun came up, the fuel usage dropped off, but I have probably used 3 of the pecan logs I split.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom