Chicken stock too dark

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Farmer Jon

Sous Chef
I have made chicken stock a few times and did everything right and it turned out perfect. So I know I know how to do it.

Now the last time I made it I had a bunch of old chickens in the freezer that got freezer burn. I thawed it out and cut off the worst freezer burned parts and cut them all up. I shoved as much chicken in the pot as I possibly could. Ended up using to pots. I know I used way too much chicken but I had to use it up and didn't want to waste it. When it was all done it was really dark. Is this because of the freezer burn? Or is it super concentrated because I used way too much chicken. It tastes just fine.
I put it in jars to can. The first jar is a little dark then it gets darker the closer to the bottom of the pot I got.

img_1400950_0_9e41fa14c8ef1b5c05a0e19af59ab651.jpg
[/URL][/img]

It was this dark right out of the pot.

I think it's fine. It's probably just very concentrated; you could dilute it a bit with water when you use it, if you want. I doubt the freezer burn affected it and honestly, I would not have cut off those parts. Freezer burn is just dried-out tissue; it's not spoiled.

Here's my turkey stock. We had exceptional turkey gravy for Thanksgiving :yum:

Attachments

• 1417788908775.jpg
    1417788908775.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 303
If it smells good, and tastes okay. I'd use it. If you are at all doubtful, just toss it.

I have to watch myself for trying to get too much stock out of a given amount of chicken. It's supposed to have a rich color. When it's too light, I know I was too free with the water. If that happens, I live with it. Boiling it down is the wrong thing to do and will greatly cloud the stock. The pale stock gets used for things like rice dishes.

I am with the majority. It is just fine. I can almost smell it. It looks really delicious. Enjoy it and let us know what you do with it. "Good to hear from you. Do stop by more often. :angel:

I thought it should be good. Now after seeing Garlics turkey stock I am not worried anymore. I have 5 quarts of this stuff.
Thank you Addie I will.
I can tell you now what I most likely will do with it. I put a quart in the pan under the turkey when I baked it. My son trapped a couple rabbits I used it to make rabbit soup. Sometimes chicken hind quarters will go on sale so the wife will buy a bunch of it. I can some of it. If I feel like some homemade chicken noodle I use the canned chicken and this stock. Its done in less than half the time. Just have to cook the veggies. If I am in a real hurry I use store bought noodles. I found some real good ones in the freezer section.

I don't think you can use too much chicken. Last weekend I canned turkey stock and all the odd containers of chicken stock that were in the freezer. I simmered them down for a bit to condense and the chicken came out really tasty and about the color of yours.

Back
Top Bottom