Roasted a pork shoulder - help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pmgirly

Assistant Cook
Hi all I am new to this forum.
I am a pretty good cook been doing it for about 40 years now
So here is the issue for Christmas's I do meatballs in red sauce, salad and rav's - every year - this year I have decided to do a Pork Roast (shoulder) with cannelli (sp? white beans) too, with a side of mushroom gravy.
I have a 3.5 roast but I am not sure how long to cook it? I think about 3 hours at about 350. I have a convection roast/bake option on my range, which I will use so it will cook faster than normal. The timing is very important since I have so many dishes going on at the same time and I have to serve by 3:00. I can't remember if it has a bone in or not, I will have to check when I get home - but I don't think it has the bone in. It will have garlic and rosemary stuffed into it and will be marinated overnight in olive oil, lemon, garlic, rosemary, S&P and probably a little thyme
thanks..so I need times for both bone in or not

I'm thinking about 13 minutes per pound @ 375'F, if you want to serve in slightly pink in the middle. Use a meat thermometer and pull the roast when the center meat reads 145' F. It will have a wonderful pork flavor, be juicy, and tender.

For a more traditional pork roast, cook in a covered roasting pan, or dutch oven, in a slow oven of 325' for about two hours, or until the internal temp reads 190'F, This will melt all of the collagen, and make the roast ridiculously tender, while keeping it juicy.

For both roasts, I would cover with onion slices.

Make gravy from the pan drippings.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

If you have the time roast it low and slow.

I just came back from the store with a picnic roast (shoulder). It's already in the oven at 275°, I braise mine with beer and nothing else. I give it a couple of hours and check the internal temperature. When it is 180° inside, it's done and pulled pork tender.

Mine's a bit bigger, 6.9#, so It'll probably take a good bit more time than yours, but getting the internal temperature to at least 180° will always do the trick no matter the size.

thanks!

thanks all
But I can't do onions on the top I am cooking white beans in the pan with the roast - they soak up the drippings and get a little crunchy they are sooo good - it is the way my Italian mom used to do it.
Also I don't want it as a pulled pork I want to slice it up and then everyone has the option of putting the mushroom gravy on it.
Looks like I need to get another meat thermo I broke my last one!

It can be difficult to predict accurately how long a piece of meat will take to cook, which is why checking the temperature is recommended. I would plan on having it cooked, rested and ready about a half hour before you want to serve. That will give you a little leeway in case it needs more cooking. If it's done earlier than that, it won't hurt it to rest a little longer. It might not be piping hot but it will still be delicious :)

If by chance it does get done too quickly, cover it with foil to prevent any evaporation of the juices and keep in as much heat as possible. I've had to let a roast "rest" for a good 45 minutes a time or two when my timing was off, and it still comes out good.

It may be too expensive for you but I highly recommend Thermoworks for a thermometer. You don't even have to buy the $100 Thermapen instant read one. Their programmable probe thermometer/timer is very good, with models for $39 and $59.

I have a $140 rib roast ordered for Christmas dinner, and you can bet that I'm not taking any chances at all with that one. I'll be using both the probe and the Thermapen judiciously. I have the classic problem of guests who like it anywhere from medium rare (me and wife) to well done (father-in-law and brother-in-law), so I have my work cut out for me.

By the way, if ever you decide to just roast it low and slow. When you use a beer for braising liquid, the resulting pan liquid makes a fantastic gravy. No, it doesn't taste anything like beer anymore. Honest!

I usually pour the liquid into a wide mouth tumbler and chill in the back of the fridge so you can get the fat into an easy to remove plug.

By the way, my almost 7# roast has been cooking for 3 hours and still probably has a half hour to go. You can't be sure of any specific time per pound, especially or such a large roast. The reason is whether it's room temperature when you start. At low and slow, it may feel room temperature on the outside, but 7# can still be chilly inside. You really do need that thermometer for the roast to turn out just right.

I know my roast was probably chilly in the center, but there's no room for that size roast anywhere but in the oven.

Get that meat thermometer! They can be pretty cheap.

Last edited:
If using the convection function of your oven, lower your standard cooking temperature by 25F. If I am forced to cook a pork roast without a thermometer, I allow 25 minutes per pound, which will usually get it into the 165F to 175F internal temperature range. Allowing it to rest for 10 to 15 minutes will raise the temperature another 10F.

pork time

thanks all - I am going with 2.5 hours at high temp for about 20 minutes to somewhat "seal" it then the rest of the cook time will be 325.
after 1.5 hours I add the white beans to soak up the juices. Out of the oven by about 2:15 for the resting time. I have cooked many roast over the years, but my family used to roast them with the skin on so you get the Crackling! either way this should be just fine. I will of course pick up a new temp
I have done them low and slow for pulled pork - normally use my slow cooker for that or my large portable oven - love that big old portable!

Mine is out of the oven, PGirly. It took 3-1/2 hrs. I cut off the fat cap and wrapped it whole for the fridge. I'll separate it into dinner size hunks and freeze that tomorrow. The bone goes for beans. I saved the braising liquid. It'll be for a pork & gravy dinner later on.

Back
Top Bottom