Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Gear: Grills, Smokers & Pits (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f93/)
-   -   New Grill (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f93/new-grill-91778.html)

RPCookin 12-11-2014 01:52 AM

New Grill

Yesterday I finished assembling my shiny new grill. I bought it on a Home Depot Cyber Monday sale, $100 off. It isn't the Weber that I really wanted, but at half the price it should do the job for now. The reviews were quite good.

Here is my shiny new Dyna-Glo 5 burner grill with side burner.

http://rapriebe.smugmug.com/photos/i...-tS9v49K-M.jpg

I cooked burgers on it today for lunch for my wife, her dad, and me, and they came out perfect, so first test has been passed.

roadfix 12-11-2014 02:45 AM

Great deal on an awesome grill! Congratulations!

Andy M. 12-11-2014 11:03 AM

Looks great. Enjoy your grilling.

CraigC 12-11-2014 03:58 PM

Its OK for a gaser.:mrgreen:

RPCookin 12-11-2014 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraigC (Post 1401826)
Its OK for a gaser.:mrgreen:

Yeah... I admit to being lazy. But I also have a cast iron smoker box for it, so it becomes a bit more than just an outdoor oven. :mrgreen:

jennyema 12-11-2014 07:51 PM

I was a charcoal-only griller my whole life till I started cooking for only myself a lot.

It's a lot of trouble for just a burger or chicken for one so I broke down and bought a gas grill...

I got a dyna glo too, probably one model lower than yours and I really, really like it. I think you'll be happy with it. Yours looks sweet !!

Roll_Bones 12-12-2014 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jennyema (Post 1401846)
I was a charcoal-only griller my whole life till I started cooking for only myself a lot.

It's a lot of trouble for just a burger or chicken for one so I broke down and bought a gas grill...

I got a dyna glo too, probably one model lower than yours and I really, really like it. I think you'll be happy with it. Yours looks sweet !!

My parents bought me a cheap Sunbeam gas grill about 20 years ago and I thought, Why?
I graciously accepted it, but had no idea if I would ever use it. You see, I was a charcoal snob.
The first time I used it I hated it. "Never again" I was heard saying.
Over time i got the hang of cooking on it, and it became our go to cooking device. I could quickly make some burgers steaks or chops without the fuss and the mess associated with charcoal cooking.

I now have had my Genesis Silver gas grill. Another present from my folks. I have had it about 15 years.
I use it a lot when its warm.
I made ribs last weekend on my charcoal grill.
I learned what worked best on gas an charcoal. I now use both.
I am happy to have a choice.
I have also learned the difference between grilling and BBQ'ing.
I think many folks are still in the dark in this regard.

RPCookin 12-12-2014 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roll_Bones (Post 1401937)
My parents bought me a cheap Sunbeam gas grill about 20 years ago and I thought, Why?
I graciously accepted it, but had no idea if I would ever use it. You see, I was a charcoal snob.
The first time I used it I hated it. "Never again" I was heard saying.
Over time i got the hang of cooking on it, and it became our go to cooking device. I could quickly make some burgers steaks or chops without the fuss and the mess associated with charcoal cooking.

I now have had my Genesis Silver gas grill. Another present from my folks. I have had it about 15 years.
I use it a lot when its warm.
I made ribs last weekend on my charcoal grill.
I learned what worked best on gas an charcoal. I now use both.
I am happy to have a choice.
I have also learned the difference between grilling and BBQ'ing.
I think many folks are still in the dark in this regard.

Yep, I know that too. I had a Genesis Silver before moving out of the US for 2 years. Would have loved to buy another one, but we have spent so much getting a household set up again from scratch that it just wasn't in the cards. I used my Weber for both grill and smoker. It took some extra effort to keep the temperature down low enough to properly smoke a pork butt, but I played with it until I figured it out.

I smoked a lot of ribs on that old grill, and now I have learn the quirks and foibles of this new one. I'm going to enjoy the trip.

Roll_Bones 12-13-2014 11:44 AM

RP, does your new grill have a wood chip tray?
I use my charcoal grill for smoking and BBQ'ing. I use my gas grill for grilling.
I have always wondered what the smoke would do to the inside and out side of my gas grill?

RPCookin 12-13-2014 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roll_Bones (Post 1402129)
RP, does your new grill have a wood chip tray?
I use my charcoal grill for smoking and BBQ'ing. I use my gas grill for grilling.
I have always wondered what the smoke would do to the inside and out side of my gas grill?

I does not, but I bought a Brinkman cast iron smoker box to use for that. I've always just used foil pouches for it in the past, but I thought that for $11 the box was worth a try. The box will sit right down on the tents that cover the burners and should heat up nicely.