Today's "cook"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paymaster

Sous Chef
Former co-workers wanted me to smoke some meat for their home Christmas gatherings. Did over night last night and today. I did 2 fresh hams , a Boston Butt, a fattie and two diller eggs. I will deliver the stuff tomorrow.:chef:

img_1403435_0_6f1b9a0aac06283c6947eacf7f3f677a.jpg

img_1403435_1_60be02bafeb6efd785d2d37e4187673b.jpg

img_1403435_2_23a9dab924aa6f5759cca52ddc2d766a.jpg

img_1403435_3_e3b878b0907cf82d7bc2107a01d0e808.jpg

img_1403435_4_fff232c68e847bb89c2ef8b0c5e02880.jpg
img_1403435_5_29c3ecb4a57315271afe38be5cc40cd4.jpg

David

Fabulous as always, Paymaster! Dang, does that look good...

A fattie is breakfast sausage shaped into a loaf with cheese in the center and the whole thing is wrapped in a weave of bacon. This can vary from one cook to the next.

No clue what a diller egg is but I'd bet they are stuffed with something too.

A fattie is breakfast sausage shaped into a loaf with cheese in the center and the whole thing is wrapped in a weave of bacon. This can vary from one cook to the next.

No clue what a diller egg is but I'd bet they are stuffed with something too.

The fatties I've seen over on the Smoking are something like this: "How to roll a fatty" (scroll down that page a little to see what it looks like after smoking)

A search over there returned no results for "diller egg". Even Google didn't return any results that seem to fit this reference.

Last edited:
Armadillo Eggs (diller eggs to some of us)

Cored jalapeno pepper stuffed with two colored cheese and encased in sausage and cooked on a smoker.

img_1403500_0_50916f5d5abca15f63fcca47299c184f.jpg

Thanks y'all.:chef:

I notice you used no seasoning on either shoulder roast? Why?
I would have heavily coated them with my rub along with salt and pepper.
Do you always smoke your meats this way. With no seasoning?

I notice you used no seasoning on either shoulder roast? Why?
I would have heavily coated them with my rub along with salt and pepper.
Do you always smoke your meats this way. With no seasoning?

I cook my meat the way the person receiving it asks. The Pork butt was coated well with my rub. The hams, not shoulders, however had no rub or seasoning other than salt and a spray of apple juice and cider vinegar once per hour. The hams will be reheated on Christmas Day by the folks that received them and they will baste the meat with their own seasoning during the reheat. They just wanted me to smoke the hams for them.

Ahhh... armadillo eggs. Boy there are so many different ways to make them. Your version is a new one on me. Over on the forum I mentioned above, they call them the somewhat cruder ABT (Atomic Buffalo Txxds - if this violates any rules, please delete it).

The recipe I made one time, the peppers were stuffed, battered (not breaded) and deep fried. Good, but a bit of a pain, and messy, and it was hard to get the batter to stick to the peppers, even after dredging them. Now I just by the frozen ones in the grocery store. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom