Christmas Dinner Menu

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
SO and I are hosting my two daughters, SIL and grandson for a gift exchange with appetizers followed by dinner.

We are making cheese bereg, a paklava-like dish similar to spanakopita. It's filled with muenster and cottage cheeses.

Dinner will be a boneless ribeye roast, gravy, lyonnaise potatoes, rice pilaf, steamed broccoli, rolls and wine. Desserts will include Christmas cookies, paklava and a chocolate ganache cake.

What's on your menu?

Spiral sliced ham, kielbasa, cauliflower gratin, cabbage salad and lo carb apple crisp with fake ice cream for dessert.

I'm also going to make a small batch of lo carb eggnog with some cognac and dark rum added to kill or confuse any bacteria that may be lurking in the raw eggs! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

We're doing courses...

Appetizers. Served with Berlucchi '61 Brut (think Italian "Champagne")
  • Bacon wrapped scallops with chipotle mayo
  • Assorted cheeses
  • Caprese Salad
  • Smoked salmon

Soup. Served with TBD Chardonnay. Choice of:
  • Broccoli Cheddar
  • Cream of Mushroom

Entree. Served with my own 2013 Pinot Noir or 2012 Syrah.
  • Standing Rib Roast with Au Jus and Horseradish Cream
  • Red Wine Braised Mushrooms
  • Garlic Mashed Potatoes
  • Squash Gratin
  • Green Bean Sauté

Salad. Assorted Greens with choice of Blue Cheese or Smoked Balsamic Vinaigrette. Served with my own 2013 Viognier.

Dessert. Someone else is bringing, so I have no idea what it will be.

Aunt Bea, float the eggs in water and pick the freshest ones you have in the carton (the ones that stay horizontal on the bottom). Salmonella has to make it to the yolk to be of concern. If you are using store-bought eggs, buy the pasteurized eggs (in the States, they have a pink P in a circle on them).

We're doing a California Christmas since the temps will be like summer here.

My son will barbeque Tri Tips and shrimp along with marinated pineapple slices and garlic bread. There will be a big green salad, my Sunshine Potatoes, and someone will bring dessert. There will be ten adult family members and baby Cheyenne to make our Christmas complete.

Merry Christmas to all whatever your menu!

Aunt Bea, float the eggs in water and pick the freshest ones you have in the carton (the ones that stay horizontal on the bottom). Salmonella has to make it to the yolk to be of concern. If you are using store-bought eggs, buy the pasteurized eggs (in the States, they have a pink P in a circle on them).

Thanks for the tip.

You could also make what is known as a boiled custard and use that as the base for the eggnog, similar to a vanilla ice cream base.

Starters will be pastry and prosciutto wrapped asparagus spears, and basil pesto elephant ears.

The main meal will be a spinach salad with warm bacon dressing; a 13 pound boneless rib roast slow roasted and rubbed with several cracked herb seeds and served with a brown ale butter sauce; make ahead mashed potatoes (with sour cream and cream cheese) and gravy, a veggie as yet unknown (my SIL is bringing that); rolls and butter.

Dessert will be a pecan pie and a butterscotch pie.

We also have several bottles of wine to work our way through. There will be 10 attending, eight family, and two friends whose respective families are too far away to be able to get together every year. We will try to be family for them this year.

Last edited:
We used to have turkey on xmas day and crab on xmas eve, but our family has shrunk so we now forgo our xmas eve crab dinner and have it on xmas day.

Dungeness crab, potato salad, coleslaw, sourdough bread, pumpernickel bread, cream cheese, Swiss cheese, blue cheese, pickled herring, creamed herring, sweet gherkin pickles, black olives, melted butter, mayonnaise, lemon wedges.

Going to a friend's house. She's planning ham, scalloped potatoes, asparagus, sweet potatoes and some other stuff.

Thanks for the tip.

You could also make what is known as a boiled custard and use that as the base for the eggnog, similar to a vanilla ice cream base.
I have no qualms about using raw eggs. My mother made eggnog (pre-pasteurized egg days) whenever we were sick. I didn't get sicker.

I don't make eggnog, but I use raw eggs. I don't use raw eggs when I have guests over, but I don't have any concerns about my eggs.

My doctor buys eggs from me. She is from Eastern Europe. At my last appointment, she told me that even if the eggs have been in the fridge for a month, the yolks are still round and the white doesn't separate from the eggs. My problem is sometimes my eggs are too fresh! I can't do boiled eggs unless I let the eggs cure. Her mother raised hens. She has no concerns about eating eggs that have not been pasteurized. She does have concerns about the conditions from which store-bought eggs come--battery farms.

I know from where my eggs come, the health of my girls, their living conditions, and what they eat. Right now, the ones who are molting are getting extra protein to push those feathers out (three are in the house because they are "naked.") .

I know how fresh the eggs are and understand that salmonella has to make it to the yolk from the white to be an issue. The bacteria cannot develop in the white. Eggs don't hang around my house long enough to get that old. Any eggs that start to "float" (rise up off the bottom when I check for freshness) are fed to the dogs or given to a local wildlife sanctuary to be fed to the raccoons (those are still fresh eggs, but when I have some that are a little older, that means I have too many eggs!) At this time of year, those eggs are the ones I didn't pick up before they froze but the shells "seam back together" when the eggs warm up.

Christmas day's menu here at my home will be brunch. :) Scrambled eggs, sausage patties, hash browns, smoked salmon, English muffins, and a loaded up fresh fruit salad. Fresh squeezed orange juice, and Mimosas for anyone who wants...like me. ;):LOL:

Christmas dinner will be the next day, I'm making a Mexican feast.

I am having my in-laws over this year, so I decided to go all out.

Snacks/Appetizers:

Deviled eggs
Candied almonds
Peanut butter fudge

Mains:

Standing Rib Roast
Honey-glazed ham

Sides:

Mashed potatoes
Sauteed Brussels sprouts
Garlicky carrots
Baked mac and cheese
Rolls

Desserts:
Pecan Pie
Double-Chocolate Chocolate Caked
Sour Cream Cheesecake

Should all turn out pretty good, and I am definitely looking forward to spending the day with family.

Hosting two rounds of gifting this year. In the morning, my son, his wife and her parents will all come here for a get together which will be brunch. I'm making roller coaster breakfast http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f22/roller-coaster-breakfast-7863.html and breakfast casserole http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f22/breakfast-casserole-pics-61918.html. Her mother is bringing ham biscuits too.

Round two will be in the afternoon when my family arrives around 4pm. That will be our traditional homemade pizza, pork bbq sandwiches, chips and dips, salad and whatever the rest of them bring goodie-wise.

I'll be starting the pork butt in the slow cooker shortly. Then on to making cracker jack, dips, cooking up the meats and just before bed I'll make the pizza dough to rise over night. In between all that, I'll be cleaning. Hope I can get it all done!

We have a small group - just 3 of us. I'm repeating the Beef Wellington that I've made the last 2 years, with a couple of veg sides. Dessert will be sticky toffee pudding with homemade vanilla ice cream. If the weather is nice, we may eat on the patio.

Its a simple Christmas dinner here.
We already had Christmas with daughter and grandsons
Big celebration with family Christmas eve at parents
Just hubbie and me Christmas day and he decided he wants lasagna.
All made ready to pop in the oven, add green salad and some Italian bread and a new white cake recipe with chocolate frosting,
Merry Christmas Everyone

Our Christmas dinner is very similar to what you all did for Thanksgiving.

Turkey, stuffing, oven roasted potatoes

Broccoli wild rice casserole
Brussels sprouts/asparagus - steamed and tossed with some spice

Spinach salad
Committee salad

Orange fluff pie, assorted goodies, ganache tart with blackberry coulis

We're doing a California Christmas since the temps will be like summer here.

My son will barbeque Tri Tips and shrimp along with marinated pineapple slices and garlic bread. There will be a big green salad, my Sunshine Potatoes, and someone will bring dessert. There will be ten adult family members and baby Cheyenne to make our Christmas complete.

Merry Christmas to all whatever your menu!

What do you marinate pineapple in?

Our traditional dinner is ham and a cheesy, sour creamy potato casserole with whatever other sides sound good. This year I get four whole days off in a row at New Year's, so I'll do the big dinner next weekend.

Tomorrow will be a munch all day thing. We'll go to the kids' and nosh on whatever finger foods we feel like throwing together. I'm taking a smoked salmon dip and crackers, and a jar of my dilly beans. My sis sent some dates from her friend's farm near Palm Springs so we may stuff them with gorgonzola and wrap with our home smoked bacon then bake. The rest is TBD.

Ooh...and I have eggnog and something called Kraken Black Spiced Rum. :D

We will have my kids and grandkids over for an early supper consisting of:
baked Smithfield ham
collard greens
potato salad
roasted asparagus
butterbeans and corn
cranberry-orange relish
key lime pie
banana cream pie
iced tea
coffee
(and a variety of adult beverages)

It's a quiet Christmas for the two of us this year. I'm making:

- a three-rib roast
- roasted carrots, parsnips, onions and Brussels sprouts with balsamic vinaigrette
- some kind of potatoes
- yeast rolls
- flourless chocolate cake with dark chocolate-cinnamon ganache

Need to get going on that cake :yum:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom