Pork ribs subbed for beef short ribs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikemcnerney

Assistant Cook
I would like to cook a beef short ribs recipe out of VJs (Vancouver)Indian cook book tonight but couldn't get beef so I bought pork side ribs. Will that work? Any adjustments necessary?
Mike, Ottawa

Beef short ribs are built differently than Spare ribs on Pork. Im not sure the exact recipe you have (I just tried to look it up). Good looking cook book!
I will say depending on the thickness of the meat and bones (beef tends to be thicker) you have you may want to adjust cook time. But as with most rib recipes be it pork or beef, baby back or short rib. Low and Slow is the most commonly used method 250 (lower side) to 325 (higher side) is what i go with. Another thing i do is cover them completely till finished then uncover and i will either throw them on the grill for a tad more flavor and color or turn the oven temp up to 450 and give them a couple mins to brown up a bit.

You know i'm curious. would you mind posting up the recipe if you can?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if I can scan it but if I can I will try to post. It is similar to many Indian recipes. Sautee all the typical aromatics in ghee. Eventually add some tomatos & red wine. then add the ribs with no braising, 4 hrs. Which now maybe I'll hijack my own thread. Recently I have been using the Cooks illustrated slow cooker book & it has occurred to me that you can still overcook in a slow cooker or in my case today, 4 hrs might be too long to simmer on the stove top for pork ribs. What do you think?

Cant say that ive done that method to ribs ( i usually just go the BBQ style route). For this method though it will depend how much liquid you have if its covered or not (will you be using a pot or tall sided pan?) and the temp. Too long in a slow rolling simmer can over cook the meat making it tough and too little liquid will reduce down an burn i would say that if you can keep the temp between 165* F and 180* F you should be ok but just to be safe check it at the 2 hr mark and if your rib meat is at 165 or higher then take it off the heat

Simmering pork ribs shouldn't take more than a couple of hours, and I'd check them often. As has been stated, they are a very different sort of cut from beef short ribs, and require different handling.

Back
Top Bottom