Best thing I ever ate in 2014

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

keylime

Assistant Cook
Well? Photo via Alton Brown. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419953630.693136.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1) everytime I open my mouth is something good.

2) Local restaurant featured Swedish Meatballs. which I think is silly, considering I can make pretty good at home. The MB were small, cocktail size, and I thought hmmm. They melted in my mouth and they used some extra spice I couldn't identify, the sauce was homemade served over mashed potatoes, popovers, salad and a now forgotten veggie. O yeah, house made pickles and a spicy cranberry relish. Typical mid-west food done right.

3) My Bro in law made 2 turkeys for Christmas. Best tasting/ moistest turkey ever. He cooked them Breast side down in 2 ovens, and basted them several times.

I made a herb-crusted rack of lamb in September when SO was out of town (she dislikes lamb) and it was outstanding.

Earlier this month I had a Chianti braised short rib at a local Italian restaurant and that was outstanding as well.

The first thing that comes to my head is the Blue cheese/ shallot Garlic bread served over a gorgonzola Fondue. Ill have to review my year to see if anything else topped that.

Maybe it's just my memory remembering only the most recent memorable food ;) but the rib roast and flourless chocolate cake with dark chocolate-cinnamon ganache I made for Christmas was exceptional. (bows her head modestly)

Maybe it's just my memory remembering only the most recent memorable food ;) but the rib roast and flourless chocolate cake with dark chocolate-cinnamon ganache I made for Christmas was exceptional. (bows her head modestly)

I don't think liking your own cooking is being immodest. We all admit not everything we cook comes out great. Why not admit it when something comes out great.

Another vote for flourless chocolate cake, except with a peanut butter ganache. :yum:

I don't hold out much hope for my resolution to cut out desserts. Even limiting them looks iffy.

A friend of mine who is a food writer has been posting "realistic resolutions" on Facebook, including "eat more food dipped in chocolate," "incorporate pork in more meals and snacks," and "eat more tacos." I like his style.

Do what you need to do to be successful ;)

Well...what springs to mind is a very exceptional pomegranate - unlike any other one I ever had. It was a deeper, more intense shade of dark red and tasted sooo full of flavour it was almost as if it had been marinaded in red wine! I was truly surprised and delighted. (It was quite a big pomegranate and obtained at a deli).

A friend of mine who is a food writer has been posting "realistic resolutions" on Facebook, including "eat more food dipped in chocolate," "incorporate pork in more meals and snacks," and "eat more tacos." I like his style.

Do what you need to do to be successful ;)

Makes a lot of sense, GG. I hope that by putting the emphasis on protein I'll be recalling a great entree instead of dessert come January 2016. Just requires reorganizing my priorities and maybe a little discipline.

Without a doubt, the best thing I ate in 2014 was the menudo that the owners of a local Mexican restaurant allowed me to share.
It is far and away the best menudo I have ever eaten.
I am however looking forward to the next visit of my nephew's in-laws who are originally from Mexico and currently reside in Texas. Jimmy's MIL is an excellent cook and she has promised to share some of her family recipes.

ooh, that's a hard one. a dizzying flood of mouthwatering food memories from 2014 is currently interfering with my ability to choose a single favorite. okay, okay, let's just say ONE of the most delicious things i ever put in my mouth last summer, was a white flesh peach, from a local peach orchard. it cost $1.20. which i remember thinking was an obscene amount of money to be charging for one small piece of fruit--that is, until i took that first bite, and then i was a goner--ripe sweetness, bursting with juices running down the arms heavenly delicious. and this celestial experience goes for a mere 1.20....

Last edited:
I've been thinking about this since the thread was started, and there is no way I can possibly pin it down. (Never had a dessert that I felt would go on the list though, but I'm not a huge fan of desserts.) I've eaten too many dishes that left me ecstatic while in the moment, and none can really be rated more highly than the others. Anything from homemade pizza to grouper fillets en papel to braised short ribs to Liz Ritchie's post holiday bean soup, made with the bones/carcasses from both ham and turkey holiday dinners (to die for, guaranteed).

To place any one above the others would be an injustice to the losers.

Risotto
My nephew is a chef in a local Italian restaurant. I took my mom to eat there and he came out to say hi and brought us a dish of his risotto. I have made it and have had at different places but his was absolutely wonderful. I had it a couple times through out the year, one his basic plain with cheese and one with basic and added in shrimp and asparagus yummy

Back
Top Bottom