I got a good deal on some kitchen gifts..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking4to

Senior Cook
My younger brother just bought his first house, he enjoys cooking too, and comes to my house to make a mess of my kitchen pretty often.

Me and my sister said we would spend $1000 each for his housewarming, he literally had nothing, he is moving from my mothers house to his new house with pretty much his clothes. He just spent $5000 on furniture, $3000 on appliances, and made the comment that he would need to borrow some kitchen stuff until he got his own because his budget is going to be tight until he pays off the 0% furniture and appliances, he also said he wasn't going to buy a tv for his parlor until he paid off the other stuff. So my sister got him a tv and laptop, I know some other family members got him stuff like dishes and silverware, and my aunt and uncle paid for a year of internet, phone, cable tv. My mother and father bought him a washer and dryer, so the kitchen stuff was up to me...

So I went to a local commercial kitchen supply house, which also sells some nice high end home style stuff.

I walked around for 25 minutes and almost gave up but then my wife said "before we leave lets see what they have in the clearance center". Like I said I planned on buying him a nice knife set, like a $1000 shun or Ken Onion {something about his Rain set attracts me}, but then I seen they had this set as a display model {it was displayed in a case, you cant tell it was a display, its all in the box and perfect} for $330! Ergo Chef Crimson Series 18 Piece Knife Block Set | eBay
I have an ergo chef set myself and love them, mine is the fieri set which my wife bought me, but very similar, the steak knives are the best I ever used. I honestly use my 2 victorinox wavy edge knives when I am cooking though, I do everything with them 2 knives and they were under $50. But this set is gorgeous I couldn't pass it up.

So while I was talking to the employee that unlocked the case to show me the knife set, I noticed they had an Anskarsrum mixer box in the case Amazon.com: The Verona® / Magic Mill DLX Mixer - The Electrolux Assistent Bread Mixer, MINERAL WHITE: Electric Stand Mixers: Home & Kitchen So I asked what the story with that was, he said that someone bought it and returned it, on the box it said "BOWL MISSING, NO INSTRUCTIONS, Cord Damage". So I asked if I could see that too, I opened the box and you could tell someone just bought it, stole the bowl and never actually removed the mixer, it was all brand new, the plug end was bent from closing it in the box, I could straighten it with my fingers and you couldn't tell it was ever bent}.

So I asked how much it was, and he called his manager, the manager said it had been there a long time and wasn't sure if it was still a current model {which it is}, he also said the bowl was $300 and they were never in stock, so hard to get, he said, "I can only sell it for up to 70% off, but if you buy that and the knife set I will do both for $400"!!! I of course bought them both. When I was ringing out he also said it will still have a full warranty, I couldn't return it but any repairs would be covered.

So I get home and straightened the plug pins then plugged it in, it worked perfectly, so I looked on the net for a bowl, and found a bowl brand new in stock shipped for $130.

OK NOw I only spent $550 so far and got him a $1000 knife set and $800 mixer, so I also got him...

this set Lodge L5HS3 5-Piece Cast Iron Cooking Set w/ Griddle, 2-Skillets, Dutch Oven & Cover I have some of these pans and they are nice, and for that price its a good deal...

and this set Calphalon UNISON 8-Piece Slide/Sear Non-Stick Cookware Set Pots Pans I have a ton of calphalon unison pans, and LOVE them, they are 6 years old now but still look new, and they have been USED, also this was a good deal for 8 pc...

I have these and love them, you can stick them anywhere, to your bowl, each other, the stove, Breadtopia | Progressive Measuring Spoons

I have 4 of these, they are very handy I bought him 1 for $9 from amazon, thats a good deal, I don't remember what I paid for mine but I know it was a lot more than that, also mine are 5 years old and still work perfect...
Amazon.com: Misto Aluminum Olive Oil Sprayer, Tomato: Cooking Oil Mister: Home & Kitchen

Amazon.com: StarPack Premium Silicone Baking Mats and Utensils Set (7 Piece) with Bonus 101 Cooking Tips: Home & Kitchen I never seen this set before it came in the mail, but I am surprised, super super nice for that amount of money...

Thats it, its all wrapped up and the party is Sunday, the house he bought is a new build, its perfect for him, just a 2 bedroom cape, with a 2 car garage on a 1 acre lot, he's 24 years old so its a great starter home.
He is working today so I am meeting the furniture and appliance delivery guys there after 12 today, he actually slept there last night with no bed, just the mattress and boxspring. I went to Target with him last night, he bought, towels, toilet paper, sheets, pillows. He wants me to go with him tonight to home depot to get blinds for all the windows.
I talked to him this morning and he said it was the weirdest night of his life, waking up to an empty house. I told him its too late to back out now, lol...

Anyway, so he was a bit nervous about not having anything for his kitchen, I can't wait until after the party Sunday when his kitchen is full. The good thing is he knows how to take care of himself, he is a great cook and appreciates nice things, I gave him some stuff I no longer use, a ninja blender, coffee machine, oven pans, and a bowl set and he already has all that stuff put away in his kitchen...

My younger brother just bought his first house, he enjoys cooking too, and comes to my house to make a mess of my kitchen pretty often.

Me and my sister said we would spend $1000 each for his housewarming, he literally had nothing, he is moving from my mothers house to his new house with pretty much his clothes. He just spent $5000 on furniture, $3000 on appliances, and made the comment that he would need to borrow some kitchen stuff until he got his own because his budget is going to be tight until he pays off the 0% furniture and appliances, he also said he wasn't going to buy a tv for his parlor until he paid off the other stuff. So my sister got him a tv and laptop, I know some other family members got him stuff like dishes and silverware, and my aunt and uncle paid for a year of internet, phone, cable tv. My mother and father bought him a washer and dryer, so the kitchen stuff was up to me...

So I went to a local commercial kitchen supply house, which also sells some nice high end home style stuff.

I walked around for 25 minutes and almost gave up but then my wife said "before we leave lets see what they have in the clearance center". Like I said I planned on buying him a nice knife set, like a $1000 shun or Ken Onion {something about his Rain set attracts me}, but then I seen they had this set as a display model {it was displayed in a case, you cant tell it was a display, its all in the box and perfect} for $330! Ergo Chef Crimson Series 18 Piece Knife Block Set | eBay
I have an ergo chef set myself and love them, mine is the fieri set which my wife bought me, but very similar, the steak knives are the best I ever used. I honestly use my 2 victorinox wavy edge knives when I am cooking though, I do everything with them 2 knives and they were under $50. But this set is gorgeous I couldn't pass it up.

So while I was talking to the employee that unlocked the case to show me the knife set, I noticed they had an Anskarsrum mixer box in the case Amazon.com: The Verona® / Magic Mill DLX Mixer - The Electrolux Assistent Bread Mixer, MINERAL WHITE: Electric Stand Mixers: Home & Kitchen So I asked what the story with that was, he said that someone bought it and returned it, on the box it said "BOWL MISSING, NO INSTRUCTIONS, Cord Damage". So I asked if I could see that too, I opened the box and you could tell someone just bought it, stole the bowl and never actually removed the mixer, it was all brand new, the plug end was bent from closing it in the box, I could straighten it with my fingers and you couldn't tell it was ever bent}.

So I asked how much it was, and he called his manager, the manager said it had been there a long time and wasn't sure if it was still a current model {which it is}, he also said the bowl was $300 and they were never in stock, so hard to get, he said, "I can only sell it for up to 70% off, but if you buy that and the knife set I will do both for $400"!!! I of course bought them both. When I was ringing out he also said it will still have a full warranty, I couldn't return it but any repairs would be covered.

So I get home and straightened the plug pins then plugged it in, it worked perfectly, so I looked on the net for a bowl, and found a bowl brand new in stock shipped for $130.

OK NOw I only spent $550 so far and got him a $1000 knife set and $800 mixer, so I also got him...

this set Lodge L5HS3 5-Piece Cast Iron Cooking Set w/ Griddle, 2-Skillets, Dutch Oven & Cover I have some of these pans and they are nice, and for that price its a good deal...

and this set Calphalon UNISON 8-Piece Slide/Sear Non-Stick Cookware Set Pots Pans I have a ton of calphalon unison pans, and LOVE them, they are 6 years old now but still look new, and they have been USED, also this was a good deal for 8 pc...

I have these and love them, you can stick them anywhere, to your bowl, each other, the stove, Breadtopia | Progressive Measuring Spoons

I have 4 of these, they are very handy I bought him 1 for $9 from amazon, thats a good deal, I don't remember what I paid for mine but I know it was a lot more than that, also mine are 5 years old and still work perfect...
Amazon.com: Misto Aluminum Olive Oil Sprayer, Tomato: Cooking Oil Mister: Home & Kitchen

Amazon.com: StarPack Premium Silicone Baking Mats and Utensils Set (7 Piece) with Bonus 101 Cooking Tips: Home & Kitchen I never seen this set before it came in the mail, but I am surprised, super super nice for that amount of money...

Thats it, its all wrapped up and the party is Sunday, the house he bought is a new build, its perfect for him, just a 2 bedroom cape, with a 2 car garage on a 1 acre lot, he's 24 years old so its a great starter home.
He is working today so I am meeting the furniture and appliance delivery guys there after 12 today, he actually slept there last night with no bed, just the mattress and boxspring. I went to Target with him last night, he bought, towels, toilet paper, sheets, pillows. He wants me to go with him tonight to home depot to get blinds for all the windows.
I talked to him this morning and he said it was the weirdest night of his life, waking up to an empty house. I told him its too late to back out now, lol...

Anyway, so he was a bit nervous about not having anything for his kitchen, I can't wait until after the party Sunday when his kitchen is full. The good thing is he knows how to take care of himself, he is a great cook and appreciates nice things, I gave him some stuff I no longer use, a ninja blender, coffee machine, oven pans, and a bowl set and he already has all that stuff put away in his kitchen...
What a lucky brother and how kind you all are to him. I don't suppose you'd like to adopt me, would you?

What a lucky brother and how kind you all are to him. I don't suppose you'd like to adopt me, would you?

We are all so proud of him, he has been working towards this since he finished school 3 years ago, saving all his money because he has been talking about buying his own house since he was 17, lol. He bought a new car before he finished college {just a camry nothing fancy} which was 0% and he said as soon as it was paid off he was going to buy a house, he set a goal and did it. He didn't have to pay anything to live since he lived at home, he literally had 4 bills, his cell phone, his car, insurance, and school loans. He saved a very healthy down payment {he put 60% down} and his mortgage {before taxes and insurance} is about what his car payment was.

We are all eager to help him as much as possible because he is the type of kid to jump into action to help you. He goes to my grand parents house every week and puts their garbage out to the street, no one ever asked him, he just makes it a point to do it, visits with them for a bit, sees if they need anything at the store, puts their garbage out and then goes back by the next day and puts their empty cans away, hes been doing it since he got his licence, and if he is going to be away he makes sure to call me and ask me to go do it, I am embarrassed to say the 5 times in my life I did it for him, I kind of dreaded it, I know its bad, but I am just being truthful, lol..

Last edited:
Sounds like he has his head on straight! My nephew is buying his first home at 25, he's managed to keep his credit clean and have no debt going into this, I'm really proud of him.

If you are anything like me, shopping for kitchen stuff is just as much fun as them getting it! Those are some amazing deals. I've been picking up stuff for my mom's new house that will be finished in a month or so. This will be her first brand new house, she loved the house that she raised us in, but this will be something really special for her, dad would be so happy to see her doing this. I've already taken care of her flatware and dinnerware, next on the list is cookware and utensils. I'm keeping an eye out for the best deals, she loves what I have, so I'll look for similar stuff.

You must be so excited to give him all this stuff!

That was really a fun read, it was like being able to shop with you! What generous and fabulous gifts you chose and there's nothing more fun than quality at bargain prices.

You're a great brother with a great brother, and sister. Your parents should be very proud of all of you, as I know my best compliment in life is when I hear what terrific people my sons are. Life gets no better than that.

I wish I was going to that housewarming...:clap:

Sounds like he has his head on straight! My nephew is buying his first home at 25, he's managed to keep his credit clean and have no debt going into this, I'm really proud of him.

If you are anything like me, shopping for kitchen stuff is just as much fun as them getting it! Those are some amazing deals. I've been picking up stuff for my mom's new house that will be finished in a month or so. This will be her first brand new house, she loved the house that she raised us in, but this will be something really special for her, dad would be so happy to see her doing this. I've already taken care of her flatware and dinnerware, next on the list is cookware and utensils. I'm keeping an eye out for the best deals, she loves what I have, so I'll look for similar stuff.

You must be so excited to give him all this stuff!

Great to hear about your nephew, it seems like its getting harder and harder on the younger generation. Also congrats to you mother, there is nothing like building your own house, I am building one more when the kids leave the nest, and that will be it. I would love to live here forever, but I want to be on the water, would rather have the master on the first floor {incase me or my wife have trouble with stairs later in life}, and this house is just too large for a single couple.

I have gone through so many kitchen devices, I am not the type to keep what I don't use for too too long, so the cream kind of stays behind and gets used...

That was really a fun read, it was like being able to shop with you! What generous and fabulous gifts you chose and there's nothing more fun than quality at bargain prices.

You're a great brother with a great brother, and sister. Your parents should be very proud of all of you, as I know my best compliment in life is when I hear what terrific people my sons are. Life gets no better than that.

I wish I was going to that housewarming...:clap:

Thanks, I LOVE buying stuff, lol. My wife says I am worse than any women she ever met.

I got some great deals, that surprised myself. My wife brought up a good point, she is worried my brother will be uncomfortable thinking I spent thousands of dollars so I am including all the receipts so he can see it was still only around $1000. She was also worried my sister would think I was trying to upstage her, so I asked her if she wanted to just say we went halves on the tv and all the stuff I bought, but my sister didn't think it mattered. My wife worries too much, I just go with the flow...

Back
Top Bottom