Thawing a turkey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lostsoul65

Assistant Cook
I have a frozen 20 pound turkey and I put it in my garage for 30 hours and the temperature is 40 at night and 60 during the day, so after 30 hours (2 days and 1 night) I bring it into the house which is at 70 degrees and it should be thawed in 18 hours making it 48 hours to thaw a turkey. Something tells me I'm doing something wrong this time. Should I cook the turkey tomorrow morning when it should be thaw out after 48 hours?

Last edited:
If I read your post correctly, this turkey will be unrefrigerated for four days. That being the case, I would not eat it. It's been growing bacteria for too long and is dangerous.

If I read your post correctly, this turkey will be unrefrigerated for four days. That being the case, I would not eat it. It's been growing bacteria for too long and is dangerous.

No 2 days, and it's still frozen and hopefully it will be thaw in the morning?

It can easily take 3 or 4 days to thaw in the refrigerator. When I thaw one, I usually mix it up, a few hours on the kitchen counter, then a day in the fridge, repeated as necessary. I've tried it in the fridge for 3 days like the safety warnings always say, and it's still frozen solid when I'm supposed to be ready to cook it. I just try to keep tabs on it and make sure that the surface stays plenty cold. I haven't poisoned anyone to date.

I felt the turkey and it's very cold so I have it in a plastic tub in a garbage bag and I'm going to put some ice in the tub with the lid on so it thaws out evenly. So I think I might have to wait an extra half day which will give me 2 1/2 days to thaw so it should be OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle
You don't want to cook it when it's thawed?

What does that mean. Your not going to cook the turkey when it's frozen?

Your question was..."Should I cook the turkey tomorrow morning when it should be thaw out after 48 hours?"

PS I'm curious how your turkey turned out back in 2012.

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f17/cooking-a-15-lb-turkey-in-foil-83400.html

Last edited:
PS I'm curious how your turkey turned out back in 2012.

The Turkey turned out good. I worry about everything. I figure if anything that could go wrong will go wrong. I really have to change my attitude on life. Thank You for asking.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom