New small local eatery.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

callmaker60

Senior Cook
Last month we had a mother and daughter open a small eatery, which advertize home cooking.
We visited twice, the first time, my sugar pea's were cooked to death. On the second visit my wife ordered a chicken dish, with a topping of mushroom and onions. The onions were raw. We didn't say anything on either visit. I don't want to be negative and say something. I know everyone cooks their own way, but after two times dining out, I don't know if we want to go back. Any thoughts if I should say something if we go again and get a not so pleasant experience?

With any new business, I think they'd want to know. We'll let the owners know in a nice way if something isn't good, and they're always very appreciative.

Last edited:
Last night, we went to a brand new local restaurant that had just opened. In fact last night was the grand opening.
We arrived to a packed house.
The minute i walked in, I could tell something was not right.
There were no tables available so we went and sat at the bar.

I found out why it felt weird in there.
A Mexican restaurant without beer or any alcohol.
The woman said something about the license hold up. I said how could you open without it.
We know its a good place as there is another one in town.
I especially love the Dos Equis on tap in frosted mugs. Its sacrilege to open a Mexican restaurant on Valentines day and not have any liquor.
It says a lot about my surroundings.

Good thing our favorite Mexican place was only a few miles down the road. They had the ice cold beer and the oysters were marvelous. As they always are.

Post a review of your experiences on Yelp. Most business owners take these reviews very seriously. I always go to Yelp and read what others have written about an establishment. I've also posted reviews on Yelp on restaurants and other types of businesses as well.

Last edited:
I agree you should have made a comment in a helpful tone. They benefit from cooking dishes that patrons like. If you are silent and go away dissatisfied, they don't stay in business.

Yelp, Urban Spoon reviews. Use them if you don't want to approach management. They are helpful for others and as mentioned the owners/management read them, too.

Last night, we went to a brand new local restaurant that had just opened. In fact last night was the grand opening.
We arrived to a packed house.
The minute i walked in, I could tell something was not right.
There were no tables available so we went and sat at the bar.

I found out why it felt weird in there.
A Mexican restaurant without beer or any alcohol.
The woman said something about the license hold up. I said how could you open without it.
We know its a good place as there is another one in town.
I especially love the Dos Equis on tap in frosted mugs. Its sacrilege to open a Mexican restaurant on Valentines day and not have any liquor.
It says a lot about my surroundings.

Good thing our favorite Mexican place was only a few miles down the road. They had the ice cold beer and the oysters were marvelous. As they always are.
Over here if a restaurant doesn't have an alcohol licence you often take your bottle of wine or whatever. The restaurants sometimes charge what they call "corkage" - a small charge for opening said bottle.

Over here if a restaurant doesn't have an alcohol licence you often take your bottle of wine or whatever. The restaurants sometimes charge what they call "corkage" - a small charge for opening said bottle.

There are counties in NC that I know of that use the BYOB arrangement.
But here in SC, I know of no county that allows patrons to bring their own alcohol.
Oh....I do know establishments that allow this. Some strip clubs allow it.
Has something to do with the licensing. Naked women are okay as long as you serve no booze to the customer.
Very silly if you ask me and i know this from word of mouth, not personal experience. ;)

When I worked at the bars in Texas, you could bring in hard liquor in a brown bag. But I would give them a "set up." A glass of ice and an empty glass to mix their drink in. I would charge them $.25 for a set up. :angel:

When I worked at the bars in Texas, you could bring in hard liquor in a brown bag. But I would give them a "set up." A glass of ice and an empty glass to mix their drink in. I would charge them $.25 for a set up. :angel:

Are there bars that still practice that? What happens if everyone brought their own liquor? That's where the money's at, in drinks.

Are there bars that still practice that? What happens if everyone brought their own liquor? That's where the money's at, in drinks.

I wonder if that would have been in a dry county. They still existed decades ago when Addie was living in Texas. I think they're pretty rare now.

Back
Top Bottom