Dinner 2-16-15

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cheryl J

Chef Extraordinaire
I'll be frying up some chicken drumsticks here in a few. Our local grocery store has them for .88/lb and I love them, so I bought 2 family packs. :) Either a salad or asparagus on the side.

What's everyone having this evening? :chef:

Roast guinea fowl, roast potatoes, broccoli, cauliflower and chicken gravy.

I placed the bird upside down for a bit, so the underside got crisp and the juices go into the breast.

Tonight is sort of a progressive dinner. It started by cleaning up the last of some vegetable soup, next came a handful of pistachios and in about an hour my butt will be sticking out of the fridge while I survey the remaining possibilities! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Leftovers from a party we co-hosted yesterday. Things on sticks. this is the easiest appy ever. Thin sliced baguette spread with pesto. Top with a compari (small sized ) tomato slice, a fresh basil leaf and top with a little fresh mozz. Poke it with a stick to hold together. A caprese thingie on bread. I made two baguettes so there were a lot and some for today.

Fettuccine alfredo. I think this is the ultimate diet food. It is such a rich sauce, you only can eat a little and you are satisfied.

Which is a good thing, because I ate a few baguette slices while warming up the alfredo sauce. I should have made a salad too, but I "forgot".

Minestrone, corn bread, and pecan brittle, all made yesterday.

A surprising tasty meal of some tri colored pasta, Wal-mart brand jarred alfredo sauce, cut up frozen grilled chicken breasts and some frozen vegetables. Very easy to eat.

I made chicken chop suey and served it over rice. The usual iced tea to drink and, for dessert, we had snow cream and cut-out Valentine cookies. We finally had some measurable snow today and, since I'd never had snow cream, I decided we'd have some for tonight's dessert. Yummy.

Pot roast with onion, turnip, carrot, sweet and Yukon gold potatoes. Also making a side of green beans, in case we don't get enough veggies. It seems like it's taking forever for the meat to get tender enough.

I whipped up stir-fry with some leftover pork, some mushrooms, sugar snap peas, mushrooms, red bell pepper and my secret sauce. We had it over rice.

Last edited:
Roast guinea fowl, roast potatoes, broccoli, cauliflower and chicken gravy.

I placed the bird upside down for a bit, so the underside got crisp and the juices go into the breast.

I've never seen a guinea fowl for sale here. Is it common there and is it about the same size as a chicken? I wonder how it would sit on a beer can.

Dinner was a bowl of popcorn! We had a late lunch at Zaxby's after taking the furbabies to the vet. Wasn't hungry. It was a good thing to eat while watching college basketball.

I've never seen a guinea fowl for sale here. Is it common there and is it about the same size as a chicken? I wonder how it would sit on a beer can.

I was wondering about that, too. I thought it might be like a chukar here in these parts and about the size of a partridge, but I did a quick search and it looks like a pheasant. Yum. :yum:

Mrs. K is in Costa Rica for work, so I am left home watching the dogs this week. It's not all bad, as I get to eat all of the things that I like and she doesn't. Liver, for instance. I think that will be Wednesday's dinner.

Tonight I had Thai chicken curry with added ghost pepper. It was definitely hot, but not as hot as you might think. The dried variety don't seem quite as toxic, although it still set off a coughing fit when I took the lid off the spice grinder. :ohmy:

Well it seems to be only available in Waitrose (one of the better supermarkets). Yes pretty much same size as a chicken. Beer can? Please explain! :)

Chicken and Andouille gumbo that Craig made a few nights ago. Andouille was from our last batch using the new meat grinder and stuffer machines.

MC asked the same thing on the beer thread here. ;) Here you go, starting at post #12. :chef:
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f128/beer-vs-non-alcoholic-beer-92301-2.html
Ah I see. I had an image of it perched on a beer can! :ohmy: :LOL:

I don't drink beer but I understand it has a slightly bitter taste? Guinea fowl tends to have a slight tang, i.e. not as 'sweet' as chicken so am not sure if that is a good marriage with beer or not. It is also somewhat tougher than chicken which I don't mind since it has a good flavour.

(I forgot to say that Sainsburys also stock this bird - do you have Sainsburys in US)?

Ah I see. I had an image of it perched on a beer can! :ohmy: :LOL:

I don't drink beer but I understand it has a slightly bitter taste? Guinea fowl tends to have a slight tang, i.e. not as 'sweet' as chicken so am not sure if that is a good marriage with beer or not. It is also somewhat tougher than chicken which I don't mind since it has a good flavour.

(I forgot to say that Sainsburys also stock this bird - do you have Sainsburys in US)?

The image is correct Creative. :LOL: Watch the video on that thread.

No, I've never heard of Sainsbury's here. If anyone would have, or could get a Guinea hen, it would be Whole Foods where you could blow the whole weekly food budget with half the items needed.;)

The image is correct Creative. :LOL: Watch the video on that thread.

No, I've never heard of Sainsbury's here. If anyone would have, or could get a Guinea hen, it would be Whole Foods where you could blow the whole weekly food budget with half the items needed.;)
Ah I see! I had to scroll further down the page for that video. Have you tried chicken with beer? Here steak with ale is now very common in pies, i.e. hard to buy a meat pie without the damn beer!

Back
Top Bottom