Dinner Wednesday, 2-18-2015 ~ Fish, or no fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking Goddess

Chef Extraordinaire
It's Ash Wednesday in some households, ours included, so we're doing fish for supper tonight. I pulled out a package of TJ's Albacore tuna steaks that I will sear on the CI pan. I have two zucchini that want to be cooked before it's too late, so I'll saute them up with some sort of herb blend. The rest will be from pulling out all the containers of veggies and starches that are from the last couple of days. I plan on shopping tomorrow and I want to see the back of my fridge before I head out!

As Harry Cobean would say, "wot's on yer plate, mate?" (Wonder where ol' Harry went...)

We don't observe this, but we are having a Caribbean lobster dish.:yum:

I'll be having the last of the leftover chili and corn bread.

Steve, you have some will power, coming here to the dinner thread when you're fasting! :ohmy::)

The noise is enough to drive anyone out of the house with the kitchen cabinet work, so we went out for a nice main meal lunch at our local Pub. We both had fish and chips (hold the chips for me, add salad). Steve had their black and tan onion rings.

Tonight we might pick up some fast food sandwiches..fish for me, beef for him.

I large salad and baked cod.

I melted a tablespoon of butter in a shallow Pyrex dish, coated two little cod fillets with the butter and topped them with a mixture of 1T seasoned breadcrumbs and 1T grated Romano cheese. Popped them into a preheated 400 degree oven and baked them for 15 minutes.

It's Ash Wednesday in some households, ours included, so we're doing fish for supper tonight. I pulled out a package of TJ's Albacore tuna steaks that I will sear on the CI pan. I have two zucchini that want to be cooked before it's too late, so I'll saute them up with some sort of herb blend. The rest will be from pulling out all the containers of veggies and starches that are from the last couple of days. I plan on shopping tomorrow and I want to see the back of my fridge before I head out!

As Harry Cobean would say, "wot's on yer plate, mate?" (Wonder where ol' Harry went...)

Sounds good, CG....I'll have to try those tuna steaks next time I go to TJ's. How did you like them?

Aunt Bea, your cod fillets sound delicious. :yum:

Kay, with all that noise, I would have wanted to go out to the pub for eats, too! Will they be done tomorrow?

I miss Harry too, he was fun and shared a lot of interesting step by step pics of his dinners. Hope he's doing well.

Last edited:
Sounds good, CG....I'll have to try those tuna steaks next time I go to TJ's. How did you like them?

Aunt Bea, your cod fillets sound delicious. :yum:

Kay, with all that noise, I would have wanted to go out to the pub for eats, too! Will they be done tomorrow?

I miss Harry too, he was fun and shared a lot of interesting step by step pics of his dinners. Hope he's doing well.

No Cheryl the noise will go on for two more days here. :w00t: Tomorrow afternoon and Fri. afternoon we'll be at baby Cheyenne's house taking care of her. No baby can make that kind of noise. ;)

Sounds good, CG....I'll have to try those tuna steaks next time I go to TJ's. How did you like them?...
I try to make sure I have a package in the freezer, handy for when the whim (or a planned meal) occurs. I guess that means we like them! We do like our tuna kinda well-done, and I use a liberal hand with a seasoning blend I like for it. I use Sylvia's Secret Seasoning, plus a few twists from my pepper-and-salt mill. Sometimes I'll squeeze a bit of lemon juice on it once I plate it, sometimes not.

Hope to see pics of your new cabinets Kay, and have fun with baby Cheyenne. :)

CG, what is Sylvia's Secret Seasoning? Unless it's a secret. :ermm::LOL:

Ack, Cheryl! I had hunted down the website so I could put the link in my post, then forgot. *smacks head* Here ya go: Sylvia's Spices

I've found it in the local grocery stores around here, although I did notice a link on the site if you want to order it directly. I think it's good, but probably not mail-order good.

Pan-seared Caribbean lobster medallions over a bed of saffron-glazed Yukon Gold potatoes, arugula, and a blood orange/Meyer lemon salsa.

37240-albums1008-picture6193.jpg

I try to make sure I have a package in the freezer, handy for when the whim (or a planned meal) occurs. I guess that means we like them! We do like our tuna kinda well-done, and I use a liberal hand with a seasoning blend I like for it. I use Sylvia's Secret Seasoning, plus a few twists from my pepper-and-salt mill. Sometimes I'll squeeze a bit of lemon juice on it once I plate it, sometimes not.

I am with you CG. I will take a small piece of fresh tuna, cook it to well done with sautéing and pour a small amount of olive oil over it. Let it marinate overnight. By then the piece has absorbed most of the oil. I pour off the excess. I then make an awesome tuna salad with diced celery, finely diced Vidalia Onion and seasonings. I have a small FP that cuts things like celery and onions so small they are almost liquefied. I have difficulty with raw vegetables. So in order to eat them, they have to be really finely diced. And for those that hate onions, or celery, they don't even know they are eating them.

They can keep their raw tuna just seared on the outside. Because of the high mercury in tuna, I don't eat it too often. And I don't buy the albacore steak ever. They have the highest mercury levels. :angel:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom