What's for dinner? Monday, 2-23-15

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cheryl J

Chef Extraordinaire
I'm roasting a couple of chicken thighs, and will have one of them this evening. Steamed broccoli and a baked potato with sour cream and chives on the side.

The other chicky thigh will be lunch tomorrow.

What's on everyone's plate for tonight? :chef:

:chef:I'm wanting to cook in my new beautiful kitchen today so I'm going to do a pot of pork Posole Rojo. We finally found dried hominy and I've been wanting to try it with this dish. I'll be combining recipes, and mostly winging it as I go along. Report to come later. Skipping (not really) off to my new kitchen. ;)

Kayelle and Sous Chef - I forgot to offer congrats on your remodel when you were sharing pics the other day. So I will say it now --Looks very wonderful.

I put a big pot of vegetable beef soup on the back burner to simmer today. I am getting pretty down about going out in the cold, so am staying in more. I bought some other stuff for the freezer too. So I'm stocked up again. I like soup.

Leftovers, a bit of this and a bit of that. Though there's only two of us, I always manage to cook for a family of 8.

Had a wonderful "comfort" food dinner tonight. I tried a new crock-pot recipe and it turned out really well. So well, in fact, that Glenn had two helpings.

At any rate, we had Crock-pot Chicken and Noodles, steamed spinach, iced tea and Mardi Gras king cake. Really satisfying and the king cake which was also a new recipe is most definitely a "keeper." Glenn loved it, too.

As for the chicken, I tweaked it a bit. Largely because I had to use some of the things I had on hand rather than the ingredients the recipe asked for. Instead of chicken breasts, all I had was one small one, but I had a few nice big thighs, so I added them to make up the difference.

I'd made homemade chicken stock over the weekend and had just enough for tonight's meal and, lastly, I thought there should be some notable flavor/herb to compliment the dish. To that end, I added about a half teaspoon of dried tarragon.

Okey-dokey! First, glad I used the thighs because using all breast meat would've been a bit too dry and bland. The homemade stock added another dimension but the winner was adding the tarragon. Will definitely make this again using my changes. Smelled soooooo good when it was cooking, too.

:chef:I'm wanting to cook in my new beautiful kitchen today so I'm going to do a pot of pork Posole Rojo. We finally found dried hominy and I've been wanting to try it with this dish. I'll be combining recipes, and mostly winging it as I go along. Report to come later. Skipping (not really) off to my new kitchen. ;)
I found it better if I soaked the dried hominy for 48 hours. The stuff I found is the blue hominy.

I found it better if I soaked the dried hominy for 48 hours. The stuff I found is the blue hominy.

This hominy is yellow CWS. It's cooking away now, and I hope bringing water to a boil and soaking it all morning will be enough. I haven't added the pork shoulder cubes to the cooking broth yet not knowing how long the hominy will need to cook. I'll post how it worked out after we eat. ;)

The lazy wave rolled over me this afternoon, right after I found out I was missing a few important ingredients to make bethzaring's http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f43/outstanding-oatmeal-choc-chip-cookie-recipe-92389.html#post1410925. As in, I only had one bag of non-mini chips, they were the Hershey Mini-Kisses, and the bag was only half of what I needed.

Therefore, dinner tonight was the other half of the chicken pot pie we had yesterday, plus huge bowls of steaming broccoli. Still wish I had a choco chip cookie though.

Leftovers, a bit of this and a bit of that. Though there's only two of us, I always manage to cook for a family of 8.
Himself says I must buy leftovers at the grocery store since we have them so often. He still hasn't found that department where I shop though, since it doesn't exist!

This hominy is yellow CWS. It's cooking away now, and I hope bringing water to a boil and soaking it all morning will be enough. I haven't added the pork shoulder cubes to the cooking broth yet not knowing how long the hominy will need to cook. I'll post how it worked out after we eat. ;)

The bottom line it was it was really really good, although it took longer tending the pot, but I like that. The broth I used for simmering the dried hominy (half bag) for about an hour (covered) before adding the pork cubes was a full bottle of Trader Joe's enchilada sauce with two cans of chicken broth and a can of fire roasted tomatoes. When the hominy was half tender I added the pork shoulder cubes (about 1 lb.) with the addition of Cumin and Mexican Oregano along with salt. Simmered (covered) until everything was tender. I know it's not a real recipe, but it's how I roll. ;)
When Sous Chef asks if we can have it again, I always say "something like it". :yum:
img_1410981_0_3eafbbaf757297ce1a7fbd0d21fe67fb.jpg

Last edited:
Hominy

i hate to tell you how many places I was looking for this stuff. I even grabbed the Goya rep when he was restocking the shelves at our local supermarket and he did not have a clue.
We stopped by Vallarta Market, a well known Mexican market, and they did not have any.
Strangely enough, we stopped by a little hole in the wall Mexican market out of town, and lo and behold, they had the dried hominy!
I am planning to buy it all up the next time I pass by there.

Meanwhile, our Market Basket store has dried hominy in two brands (Goya and something else) and canned Goya. If you ever can't find it and need it, just let me know and I'll mail you a bag. ;)

Von's has 45 choc cookies for $5
They used to be 50 , but it is a sneaky way of raising prices!
Von's is a bit of a drive for me. :LOL: What I really want is a warm, fresh out of my oven cookie from the recipe Beth posted earlier today. Three cups of choco chips to three cups of grains (flour and quick-cook oats)? Those have got to be yummy! Have no fear, except for tomorrow, we have a week of "Baking Weather". Still. *sigh*

We had ribeye, asparagus and spinach and chive pasta in a sherry and asiago cream sauce. Two thumbs up from my SO. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424763489.196377.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had made grits with cheddar last week and poured in a pan so I could cut and make grit cakes, which we've been doing on and off for breakfast. Getting pretty low on meals around here because we haven't had time to get to the grocery due to home hunting and getting ready to move. So, we had some more grit cakes last night with bacon gravy and fried eggs.

Don't know if this would be a keto-dish...I took two rutabaga, 1/2 head of cauliflower. Mashed those together with some coconut oil, made a pizza crust. I baked that for about 20 minutes and then topped it with sundried tomatoes, spinach, moz. cheese, Gouda cheese, black olives, Italian spices, fresh basil--threw that back in the oven for 5-8 minutes to melt the cheeses and wilt the spinach. The crust was really good! As were the toppings.

Back
Top Bottom