For Andy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Silversage

Head Chef
Walnut Cake

Ingredients
1 cup walnuts
3 Tbsp sugar
1/3 cup flour
4 Tbsp unsalted butter
½ cup sugar
3 large eggs
2 Tbsp Kirsch
1 pinch salt

Yield: 1 - 10 inch layer. 2 batches makes 3 - 8 inch layers

1. Preheat oven to 350°.

2. Butter pan and line with parchment. Butter the parchment.

3. Grind the nuts and the sugar in the food processor. Add the flour and pulse quickly to combine.

4. Soften butter to a mayonnaise consistency.

5. Beat the remaining sugar, eggs, kirsch, and salt until pale, fluffy, doubled in volume, and holds soft peaks.

6. Stir 2 spoons of the egg mixture into the butter to lighten it.

7. Sprinkle he nuts, 1/3 at a time, over the remaining egg mixture and fold in gently.

8. Fold the butter gently into the batter.

9. Spread evenly in prepared pan, and bake 20-30 minutes until sides just begin to pull away.

Tips
Depending on the size of the cake you want, make 2 or 3 batches of batter. 3 batches will give you a 10-inch 3 layer torte. 2 batches will give you an 8-inch 4 layer torte.

Author: Adapted from Julia Child
Source: Mastering the Art of French Cooking Vol.2

Maple Buttercream

Ingredients
1 lb unsalted butter, cold
2 large eggs
6 large egg yolks
pinch salt
3 Tbsp water
1 cup sugar
6 Tbsp maple syrup, grade B
2 Tbsp maple syrup, grade B
1 Tbsp dark rum or brandy

1. Soften the butter with the paddle attachment until soft but still cold. Set aside.

2. Whisk eggs and yolks with salt in a clean bowl until loose. Set aside.

3. Bring sugar, water, and 6 T of maple syrup to a boil. Without stirring, cook to softball stage 236-238°.

4. Turn on mixer with eggs. Drizzle sugar syrup into eggs while continuing to beat until fluffy and tepid.

5. Put butter and paddle attachment back on mixer. Beat egg mixture into butter by spoonfulls until smooth.

6. Add extra maple syrup and rum. Beat to perfection!

This makes enough to frost and fill a 3 or 4 layer cake. To fill only, cut recipe in half.

Author: KMCR

Soft Chocolate Glaze

Ingredients
2 oz semi-sweet chocolate
3 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 Tbsp liquer of choice

Yield: 3 ounces

Procedure
1. melt chocolate and liquer.

2. Stir in butter until smooth. Cool

Tips
Choose a liquer to compliment the flavors of your cake.

Make 1 batch of this for each layer you wish to coat.

Dark Chocolate Ganache Glaze

Ingredients
8 oz semi-sweet chocolate, finely chopped
1 cup heavy cream

Yield: 1 ½ cups

1. Place the chopped chocolate in a small bowl.

2. Bring the cream just to a boil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat.

3. Pour the hot cream over the chopped chocolate, and let it sit for 1 minute.

4. Stir gently with a rubber spatula from the center out, until smooth. Be careful not to whip in bubbles.

5. Cool uncovered, at room temperature, until it is 80-85°. This is the perfect pouring temperature.

Author: Fran Bigelow
Source: Pure Chocolate

Maple Walnut Torte

Ingredients
3 recipe Walnut Cake (2 if making an 8 inch torte)
2 recipe Soft Chocolate Glaze
½ recipe Maple Buttercream
1 recipe Dark Chocolate Ganache Glaze
1 Tbsp rum or brandy
3 Tbsp water
½ cup walnuts, chopped

Yield: 1-10 inch 3 layer torte or 1-8 inch 4 layer torte

1. Combine the rum and water. Brush it on the toss of each cooled layer.

2. Chill about ¼ cup if the Dark Chocolate Ganache Glaze until later.

3. Divide the Soft Chocolate Glaze equally between 2 of the layers, and spread almost to the edges. Leave about ¼ inch around each edge unglazed.

4. Chill the 2 glazed layers for about 30 minutes to keep the glaze from smearing when you add the buttercream.

5. Place 1 glazed layer on a platter, and top with half of the Maple Buttercream. Place the other glazed layer on top and then spread the other half of the buttercream. Place the unglazed layer on top.

6. Use the ¼ cup of chilled ganache to 'crumb coat' the torte. Spread it thinly and firmly over the top and sides, getting it as smooth as possible. Chill for 15-20 minutes.

7. Place the torte on a wire rack and set it over a rimmed pan. Pour the 80-85° ganache over the sides of the torte, letting the excess run down.

8. Scoop up the excess and return it to the bowl. Warm briefly if necessary. Spread the remaining ganache over the top, smoothing the excess down the sides.

9. Press the chopped walnuts into the sides.

10. Chill, but remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before serving.

Author: KMCR

Andy,

This is a bit awkward but I couldn't figure out another way to send you the whole recipe.

Thanks for asking!

Kathy

Attachments

• maple walnut torte (6).jpg
    maple walnut torte (6).jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 254
  • maple walnut torte (18).jpg
    maple walnut torte (18).jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 237
Kathy,

Thank you so much!

I really appreciate your taking the time to put all this here for me. I hope I can do it justice.

Am thinking each layer of the recipe could stand alone as a separate dessert! If anyone wants to make this for me, please feel free!

Thank you all. I'm getting married April 18, and I'm seriously considering a variation of this for the wedding. There are other equally delicious options, but this one is my personal favorite.

I noticed that in the pic I did the crumb coat with buttercream instead of panache. Either one works.

Well, congratulations, Silversage and soon to be Mr. Silversage!!!

Oh my think ill have to join a gym for this as I would eat the whole thing.
Fantastic looking, I had a piece of a walnut cake at a Amish bakery and never been able to duplicate it. It had a buttercream frosting on it. your cake sounds like it might be it or very close. But I definitely have to try this one. Thank you

Thank you all. I'm getting married April 18, and I'm seriously considering a variation of this for the wedding. There are other equally delicious options, but this one is my personal favorite.

I noticed that in the pic I did the crumb coat with buttercream instead of panache. Either one works.

Wow that cake looks amazing!

Congrats on the wedding!

Back
Top Bottom