Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f10/)
-   -   Wedding dessert problem (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f10/wedding-dessert-problem-92475.html)

SaucedeSewing 03-08-2015 12:03 PM

Wedding dessert problem
 
:chef:
My daughter is getting married in September, and I have agreed to provide the desserts. She wants a selection of mini cakes/desserts which will be presented on triple cake stands. There will be about 90 people at the meal. My problem is that I live in France and will only be arriving in the UK a few days before the big day. I do however have to go over in June, so what I was thinking I would make the desserts then and freeze them. What I am asking the forum for is ideas for desserts that can be made that far in advance, are freezeable and do not need any last minute finishing touches. Thank you.

CharlieD 03-08-2015 12:07 PM

Can't you make desserts at home and bring them with you right before wedding? Honestly, that long in the freezer nothing will taste great. Maybe it will still be just fine, but not great. For wedding you kind of want everything nice and fresh. Just my opinion.

SaucedeSewing 03-08-2015 12:17 PM

Thanks CharlieD, the problem is the fact that is an 18 hour drive door to door and I'm not sure anything I made would look presentable after that! That combined with all the other things that will have to be fitted in those few days means June seems like the best solution, but like you say it is a long time to keep stuff hence my post to the forum!

Steve Kroll 03-08-2015 01:29 PM

Oh my goodness! I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but as the bride's mother, don't you have enough things to worry about without having to make dessert for 90 people, and then driving 18 hours to deliver it?

If it were me, I'd be looking for a bakery or catering company close to where the event is taking place. You would still be living up to your commitment to provide dessert, but simply delegating the responsibility of actual kitchen duties to someone else. :chef:

PrincessFiona60 03-08-2015 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Kroll (Post 1412319)
Oh my goodness! I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but as the bride's mother, don't you have enough things to worry about without having to make dessert for 90 people, and then driving 18 hours to deliver it?

If it were me, I'd be looking for a bakery or catering company close to where the event is taking place. You would still be living up to your commitment to provide dessert, but simply delegating the responsibility of actual kitchen duties to someone else. :chef:

This was my take on it, too. Or go early and do the baking there. Many bakeries would be happy to make the cake, etc. for you if you want to do the decorating yourself.

Aunt Bea 03-08-2015 03:54 PM

I agree that this might be too big a project for the mother of the bride.

If you feel you must do it then I would use a combination of home baked and store bought items. A good option for the home baked portion is a sheet cake decorated similar to the picture below. Cut the cake and put the pieces in white or pastel colored cup cake papers and place them on the three tiered stand. If you are not adept at piping decorations then use some purchased candies or Jordon almonds as the decoration.

https://bettycakes.files.wordpress.c...5/100_1939.jpg

https://bettycakes.files.wordpress.c...5/100_1939.jpg

Good luck!

Vanitas 03-08-2015 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Kroll (Post 1412319)
Oh my goodness! I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but as the bride's mother, don't you have enough things to worry about without having to make dessert for 90 people, and then driving 18 hours to deliver it?

If it were me, I'd be looking for a bakery or catering company close to where the event is taking place. You would still be living up to your commitment to provide dessert, but simply delegating the responsibility of actual kitchen duties to someone else. :chef:

Agreed! You can get the bakery or catering company to make an assortment of treats, as desired, but without you needing to worry about it. It also means you will have more free time once you arrive to spend with your daughter or getting ready. Congrats!! :smile:

Addie 03-08-2015 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharlieD (Post 1412306)
Can't you make desserts at home and bring them with you right before wedding? Honestly, that long in the freezer nothing will taste great. Maybe it will still be just fine, but not great. For wedding you kind of want everything nice and fresh. Just my opinion.

Charlie, you cannot bring foods, even cooked, into another country. Customs will confiscate them. :angel:

Steve Kroll 03-08-2015 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Addie (Post 1412368)
Charlie, you cannot bring foods, even cooked, into another country. Customs will confiscate them. :angel:

She lives in the EU, not the US.

Addie 03-08-2015 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Kroll (Post 1412382)
She lives in the EU, not the US.

I know that. I did read all of her post. She is going from France to England. The last time I heard they were still separate countries. :angel:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:02 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.