Quick suggestion needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieD

Chef Extraordinaire
I put 4 whole chickens in the oven. In one aluminum tray, packed pretty tightly. 400 degrees. They are covered with foil, somewhat loosely.
How long do you think it will take to cook them?

They won't be cooking evenly if they are packed in against each other Charlie.

The sides that are touching each other won't cook as fast as the rest of the birds.

Gosh, can you transfer two of them to another pan and continue cooking?

Neah, it's an old, lousy stove. I just checked, after hour and a half. They are not nearly ready.

Well, it only took 2.5 hours.

QUOTE]

Hmm, if transferring to a 2nd pan was not an option, I wonder if it would have been possible to turn the birds around when you thought they were approximately half way done. That is , the sides which were inside and touching, would now become the outsides for a more even roasting. Did they otherwise come out ok tasting?

Hmm, if transferring to a 2nd pan was not an option, I wonder if it would have been possible to turn the birds around when you thought they were approximately half way done. That is , the sides which were inside and touching, would now become the outsides for a more even roasting. Did they otherwise come out ok tasting?

I end up turning chickens 4 times. :rolleyes: It worked.

Last edited by a moderator:
Charlie--totally off topic, I've been invited to dinner with Jewish friends next Friday. Would it be appropriate for me to bring a bottle of kosher wine? I would dare bring any food items. Or would a pot of blooming tulips be appropriate? I don't want to arrive empty handed. I'm sure the meal will be wonderful. Do I have to wear a headscarf out of respect? They are Orthodox.

Put the thought of 'this birds weights X pounds so I should roast it at X temp. for X amount of time' completely out of your mind.
Check the deep internal temp. of anything you're roasting especially meats until the temp. has reached a prescribed temp.

Charlie--totally off topic, I've been invited to dinner with Jewish friends next Friday. Would it be appropriate for me to bring a bottle of kosher wine? I would dare bring any food items. Or would a pot of blooming tulips be appropriate? I don't want to arrive empty handed. I'm sure the meal will be wonderful. Do I have to wear a headscarf out of respect? They are Orthodox.

If they are Orthodox, bring a bottle of Kosher wine. It would be perfectly appropriate. Do you have a place to buy kosher wine near you? Tulips are also nice, but then you have to make sure to arrive before the candle lighting because they will not be able to touch the flowers after the that. Kind of long story to explain why.

Flowers are a lovely idea. Consider having them delivered earlier in the day which would give ample time to arrange, etc.

If they are Orthodox, bring a bottle of Kosher wine. It would be perfectly appropriate. Do you have a place to buy kosher wine near you? Tulips are also nice, but then you have to make sure to arrive before the candle lighting because they will not be able to touch the flowers after the that. Kind of long story to explain why.
Yes, I can get Kosher wine. I was wondering about flowers because I know it is not appropriate to send/give flowers when someone dies. Thanks, Charlie, I knew you'd be able to help me with etiquette!

We do not brink flowers to the funeral or to the grave site. Nothing wrong with bringing flowers to the house.
P.S. Or do what Janet has suggested.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

Last edited:
We do not brink flowers to the funeral or to the grave site. Nothing wrong with bringing flowers to the house.
P.S. Or do what Janet has suggested.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking
Although it has been a long cold winter, I'm going with the bottle of wine. Safe, easy.

Now that's interesting. I'm just off to Google to find out why.

G'night all.

Back
Top Bottom