Upper layer not cooked in rice cooker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr good news

Assistant Cook
Hi guys. I recently bought a rice cooker. When I cooked rice in it the upper layer gets less cooked while the bottom layer gets over cooked.
I saw the rice packet, it said to add 1:1.2
1 cup rice 1.2 cup water.
I did about 1.4
But that shouldn't have done that right?
At first I used hot water to cook rice, I saw in the internet that it was bad, so i used cold water. The upper layer is cooked but not as good as it should be. The upper layer rice is still somewhat hard while the lower layer has more watery like rice.
Is the rice cooker faulty or am I doing something wrong.
I would really appreciate your help.
Thanks

If you are following the directions on the rice cooker, then the cooker is faulty. I have never had problems with uncooked layers in mine.

Hi guys. I recently bought a rice cooker. When I cooked rice in it the upper layer gets less cooked while the bottom layer gets over cooked.
I saw the rice packet, it said to add 1:1.2
1 cup rice 1.2 cup water.
I did about 1.4
But that shouldn't have done that right?
At first I used hot water to cook rice, I saw in the internet that it was bad, so i used cold water. The upper layer is cooked but not as good as it should be. The upper layer rice is still somewhat hard while the lower layer has more watery like rice.
Is the rice cooker faulty or am I doing something wrong.
I would really appreciate your help.
Thanks
Did you, perhaps, overload the rice cooker?

All rice cookers heat from a bottom element.
You are likely putting too much rice in the cooker.
I have never had a problem as you describe.
The following method works perfectly for making perfect rice every time:
I use either white basmati or white jasmine or even 'sticky rice' for lo mai gai.
A water glass which holds 460 grams of rice. Into the rice pot. Fill pot with cold water. Soak for a few minutes. Gently wash the rinse to remove the talc or whatever powder on the rice. Pour off all the water. Into the pot cold water using the same water glass but only fill the glass to about 3/4 full. No salt.
Lid on. Press the button. Red light goes on. Ten-fifteen minutes later the cooker clicks and the light turns to orange. I leave the rice covered for another ten-fifteen minutes. Remove lid. Perfect rice.
I end up with nice fluffy cooked rice. Never overcooked or undercooked.

I also get uneven cooking when I try to cook a lot of rice. When done, I stir the rice in the cooker and let it sit for a few minutes so the uncooked portion can absorb more moisture.

Oh boy, I asked my dad about this post (he's always been a very technical cook and makes great rice, though we like to do rice cooked in stock or with small toppings) and got a 45 minute lecture about what may have gone wrong. I'll try to summarize it as best I can.

When cooking rice in a cooker, look at what the cooker says first. You don't want to overload anything that cooks for you ever, because that ruins the food and can lead to breaking the tool after a while. This is especially problematic with cheap cookers that don't transfer heat evenly. Also mixing helps, I think my dad opens up the rice to mix once, and I know some Arabic recipes mix butter in about halfway through the cooking, which also helps them reach a specific texture they like. Again, if the cooker (not just for rice too) isn't really high quality you want to mix the food so things don't keep getting more unbalanced.

We have about 5 cookers in the house, with 2/3 we use, of various sizes, and if I come to the kitchen while he's making some I almost always get a lecture about how much rice each one makes. We even have a good quality rice cooker older than I am to send me to college with, specifically made for small portions! Look for the manual that came with your cooker, or when in doubt, google the model and look for experiences other customers had with it.

Last edited:
Don't hate on me...

Return the rice cooker. Rice has got to be one of the easiest things to cook. Add equal amount water to rice, water can be a touch heavy. Bring to boil and let boil for a minute or two, cover and remove from heat. Give it about 20 minutes, I never check time on this, I just let it go until I need the rice. I make it ahead enough I just leave it covered until it's time to eat. Uncover, stir, serve. Made so much rice in my day, can do it w out thinking. Never understood the need for a rice cooker. Maybe someone can enlighten me as to why.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom