Would You?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roll_Bones

Master Chef
Pillsbury crescent rolls dated 2/2015. I plan to use them tonight. In a few minutes.
Feedback much appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

Pillsbury crescent rolls dated 2/2015. I plan to use them tonight. In a few minutes.
Feedback much appreciated!

Assuming they were properly refrigerated, I sure would. The date is probably for the useful life of the yeast rather than spoilage.

I probably wouldn't. I've always adhered to those dates very strictly. But I was reading about this just the other day and it seems that we don't risk much by using things past their date, so maybe it's a good idea. :)

I probably wouldn't. I've always adhered to those dates very strictly. But I was reading about this just the other day and it seems that we don't risk much by using things past their date, so maybe it's a good idea. :)
Probably due to their fear of being sued, many manufacturers are over cautious with their "sell by" and "use by" dates, according to an article I read recently in a food magazine.

Try them, if you're still alive tomorrow drop us a line;)

Seriously, though, there may be a slight loss of quality although I wouldn't think so if they were dated only last month

I'd use 'em. It's still March. A month isn't that long.

Last edited:
Thanks. The chicken casserole is in the oven.
As to quality, they were sub par at purchase from Costco.
It seems the 4 pack (we bought two packs) were not as attractive and uniform as the crescents we buy in the individual containers at the grocery store.

I will report on any ill effects....lol

I'd use 'em w/out worry as well. Taste might not be perfect, but I don't think there are any safety issues to be concerned about.

It's worth remembering that the smell test doesn't always help. Some food poisoning toxins, including some variants of botulism, are odourless.
Yes, that's a good point. I don't exclusively use the sniff test. But, anything that doesn't pass the sniff test gets chucked in the garbage.

Well if the date is 2/2015, that could mean 2/28/2015. So that is only 20 days. I doubt very much if 20 days past due is going to put you in the hospital. Make them and enjoy! :angel:

With only that small of a 'use by' margin, I'd go ahead and bake them, too. I also use milk, eggs, and yogurt if they're only within a month or so past the "best used by" date. I haven't died from it yet. :LOL:

A lot of times it just depends on the item. Something like those Poppin' Fresh refrigerator rolls should be fine to use as long as they've been properly refrigerated.

Meats I'm more cautious with. Some veggies are often okay for well past what I'd think would be recommended, as long as the texture is still fairly normal, and they aren't discolored or furry.

With only that small of a 'use by' margin, I'd go ahead and bake them, too. I also use milk, eggs, and yogurt if they're only within a month or so past the "best used by" date. I haven't died from it yet. :LOL:

Like you Cheryl, I pay little attention to the dates on yogurt or eggs. Milk, on the other hand, gets dumped down the drain the day it expires :sick::yuk: unless
Steve swears it's still good so I let him have my share. :ROFLMAO:

Like you Cheryl, I pay little attention to the dates on yogurt or eggs. Milk, on the other hand, gets dumped down the drain the day it expires :sick::yuk: unless
Steve swears it's still good so I let him have my share. :ROFLMAO:

:LOL:
What's REALLY annoying is when milk goes bad before the exp date. grrr...

Back
Top Bottom