Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Dehydrator Discussions (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f149/)
-   -   What is your favorite item to dry in your dehydrator? (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f149/what-is-your-favorite-item-to-dry-in-your-dehydrator-92670.html)

Maelinde 04-01-2015 07:17 PM

What is your favorite item to dry in your dehydrator?

I love using my dehydrator, and I've made some yummy treats, and some flops.

So far, my favorite dehydrated treats are tangelo slices, Roma tomatoes, banana chips, and kale.

I have plans to dehydrate some beef jerky, Zucchini chips, and potato chips.

What are your favorites? Also, what have you been wanting to dehydrate and just haven't gotten that "round tuit" out yet?

Dawgluver 04-01-2015 07:36 PM

What is your favorite item to dry in your dehydrator?

Looking forward to trying the tangelo slices! I've made some very pretty wreathes with orange slices.

Years ago, DH ran a tennis tournament, and came home with an excess of leftover bananas, which made awesome chips. I grow a surplus of cherry tomatoes and apples which dry well. I've also made raisins and dried peaches. Dehydrated watermelon takes ages, but the end result tastes like cotton candy.

larry_stewart 04-01-2015 07:38 PM

I always do the dried tomatoes when I have an abundance in the summer. I do a bunch of herbs and mint too.

Cheryl J 04-01-2015 08:07 PM

I'm going to have to get my dehydrator out and start using it again. I bought mine at a yard sale several years ago and dried some herbs in it, and some desert flowers for crafts, and that's about it. Lots of good ideas here.

Selkie 04-01-2015 08:49 PM

Thinly sliced pot roast (cross cut) for making beef jerk.

Dawgluver 04-01-2015 10:25 PM

Now that's it. Will have to hit the grocer for whatever lean beef is on sale tomorrow and make some jerky. We'll miss DH's Wednesday old fart discount, but oh well.

Bookbrat 04-02-2015 12:46 AM

We dry a lot, but favorites are cherry tomatoes, halved and cut side up - sprinkled with salt, granulated garlic and fresh ground pepper, and tomato paste leather. Kale...we crumble it in everything, like parsley. Mushrooms (especially morels when I can find 'em!). Huckleberries. Garlic, sliced thin,it rehydrates just like fresh. I like to keep chopped onions and sliced potatoes around, too.

CWS4322 04-02-2015 05:59 AM

I use my dehydrator all the time. One of the things I like to do is dehydrate mushrooms. I pick up mushrooms when they are on special and dry them. Tomatoes (love tomato chips), cherries, apples, extra stock (which I grind afterwards--takes up less real estate than freezing it). Garlic--which I grind for garlic powder.

Dawgluver 04-02-2015 11:27 AM

I forgot to mention mushrooms, I also get them when they're marked down.

Maelinde 04-02-2015 07:53 PM

I hadn't thought about sliced mushrooms! I need to put them on my list along with some cherry tomatoes. Hoping to do the jerky before the weekend, along with some Zucchini chips -both 1st time dehydrator treats. I'll keep you posted.

Do try the Tangelos sliced very thin with the skin still on at 125F. It tastes like candy. Randy prefers to take off the skin before he eats them, but I love it. I'll have to check my notes for how long I dried them, but I do know that times vary depending on heat, humidity and sea level. I do remember that I let them dry initially for 6 hours, and then checking every couple hours until done.