Menu for Thursday 4/9/15?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoAnn L.

Master Chef
I have a kettle of homemade vegetable soup simmering on the stove for supper tonight. And I bought some Herb and Garlic Focaccia bread to serve with it. Not sure of a dessert yet.

Chicken and Lemon Casserole.

It was called a casserole but it was not a typical casserole. I first had to cook the chicken in the liquid part of the recipe with no thickening agents using a casserole dish in the oven.

Then I had to pour off the liquid into a saucepan, add some bits and pieces, add cornflour and add cream. Then pour this over the chicken which had been keeping hot.

One slight annoyance, the 'sauce' for want of a better word, looked nothing like the picture in the book. In the picture the sauce was almost pure white while mine was at best buff to light brown.

Imma gonna have a grumble about that on another thread because I'm damned sure that many of the pictures you see in recipe books were not of food that was cooked in the manner stated in the recipe!

http://www.discusscooking.com/forum...FytBA0&state=81ffcc274566393817096a0a095d6c82#_=_

Last edited:
Everything is looking and sounding good, folks. I have a stockpot of chicken simmering. It will become Chowning's Tavern Brunswick Stew for supper. The original recipe called for squirrel, but Buddy-the-Backyard-Squirrel and all of her friends run far faster than I can run-and-catch, and I don't have a hunting rifle.

Freezer diving, coconut milk, conch chowder and oyster crackers. I'll probably add a dash of dry sherry or shaoshing wine.

I'm defrosting a container of pasta sauce for dinner tonight. I will save out some of the sauce to top a pizza later in the week.

Half a leftover chicken sandwich and some celery sticks with ranch for me. DH went out for some pub food with a buddy who just got home after many days and hours in the car with his wife.

We're lucky enough to have leftovers from last night! Chicken stir fry with sweet peppers and maifun noodles. YUM

Nice and easy since we're expecting some mild risk of severe thunderstorms. Nothing I've seen on the radar is far enough south to affect us, but at least there won't be anything delicate in the oven or on the stove.

We ordered out. Stirling ordered a Philly steak sub and a poutine. I ordered "crispy coated, dry" chicken wings and fries. I think it was MC who convinced me to try malt vinegar on my fries. Yup, used it on the fries.

Green pozole made with chicken (a recipe that was test driven on Wednesday). Meh. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't remarkable. It was just okay. Definitely not going into my meal rotation plan.

This is the first time I've used canned hominy. Do those of you who use it regularly (it is very, very hard to find in Ottawa), drain and rinse it or do you dump the contents in without rinsing? Rachael Ray cooked a dish the other day with canned hominy--she just dumped the can into the pot. I must say, I find the texture of canned hominy nothing like the dried blue hominy/pozole that I usually use.

Back
Top Bottom