Friday Dinner Plans 4/10/15

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
I often buy larger pieces of meat, take what I need for a recipe and freeze the remainder for another meal.

I am currently defrosting some bits of pork left over from something or other. I'm planning a stir-fry with the pork and some onion, mushroom, red pepper and pea pods. I'll make some rice to go with it.

What goodies are you planning for tonight?

Duck Day is here.
Shake rattle and roll....get into that kitchen and rattle those pots and pans!

The long saved duck has defrosted and this is D Day. It will be a most of the day project and after much procrastinating I'll be following Frank Z's recommendation
to the letter with the Hungry Mouse recipe.
http://www.thehungrymouse.com/2009/02/11/the-best-way-to-roast-a-duck-hello-crispy-skin/

I'm nervous, but excited to get started on my first date with a duck.

Last edited:
Duck Day is here.

The long saved duck has defrosted and this is D Day. It will be a most of the day project and after much procrastinating I'll be following Frank Z's recommendation
The Best Way to Roast a Duck (Hello, Crispy Skin!) | The Hungry Mouse

Now isn't that just ducky!:rolleyes:

We are having Grilled chicken wings and loaded potato skins.:yum:

We had Haddock with Cider Sauce.

Laid the haddock on a bed of mixed veg, carrot, mange tout, baby corn, asparagus and leeks. Some Jersey royals and a salad completed the meal.

Quite a lot there but I've been doing man things today, sawing and chopping wood, digging the garden etc so hunnnnnnngry!

Would have looked neater but my leisurely cooking session turned into a frantic rush.

Still looks nice, Wysh.

Kayelle, I bet I'm not the only one who wants to know how your Duck Date went tonight.

We're probably eating the leftover hot dogs and potato salad. It is opening day in Cleveland (a rather inauspicious start) and I've been busy switching dish sets around in all my cupboards. Don't be surprised, though, if I come back with a menu change...I have a real craving for mac and cheese. :yum:

Duck Day is here.

The Best Way to Roast a Duck (Hello, Crispy Skin!) | The Hungry Mouse

The day date with the duck was delightful and delectable!

We had great fun with this recipe and I appreciated how very detailed it was. We even had duck liver pate' on toast for our lunch. We followed the recipe to the letter and we agree it's the best duck we've ever eaten anywhere. Turning it four times was done with the handles of cooking forks inserted into each end. When it was all completed, I cut out the backbone with my kitchen shears, and quartered it for easy serving. One of the best things, is we have a full cup of rendered duck fat for the gift that keeps on giving.

We had glorified green salad and a mix of seasoned brown and wild rice with it.
Dang Frank....you were right and thank you!

img_1417284_0_b20a6cc2670855e26d22f9eb88602b07.jpg

Kayelle's duck

I tried to download the recipe, but the recipe was 19 pages, and there were a total of 166 pages with all the comments that were downloaded! It took forever just to get the pages I needed to print the recipe. I downloaded the recipe to a PDF, and if it comes out well, we have it forever!
UPDATE!!
As you can see by the previous post, this one is a keeper!
It had to be the best duck I have ever eaten. I have eaten duck all over the world, including Peking Duck in Beijing (Peking) and this was better, perhaps because of the love and fun that went into it.

What a gorgeous duck, Kayelle and Souschef! So glad it turned out so well, and that you got a huge amount of liquid gold!

Last edited:
Had hotdogs, which sounds boring but we haven't had in forever and I enjoy a good hotdog once in a while. Along with this we had leftover potatoes au gratin (which tasted even better reheated) coleslaw (kfc copycat recipe) and deviled eggs.

Went to the store and bought some cubed beef for stew, red potatoes, large boiling onions, some frozen green peas, a large carrot and Lawry's Beef Stew powdered mix. I cut the recipe in half since I bought one pound of cubed beef instead of two.
It's simmering now. I added tiny splash of red wine to the 1.5 cups of water. I'll simmer it for about 45 minutes, then add the vegetables and cook an additional 20 minutes.

I'm simmering it covered which i was wondering is the proper way. If the stew needs thickening, I'll add a little cornstarch at the end.

EDIT: After 45 minutes of simmering, the beef is still tough. I forgot someone said when you cut the ingredients of a recipe in half, that doesn't translate to the cooking time needed. I'll go the full 1.5 hours.

McCormick's has a line of recipe mixes called Slow Cooking (for Pork, Pot Roast, Beef Stew, etc).
I was going to choose that mix over Lawry's but when I read the instructions on the back of McCormick's packet mix, I couldn't believe it. After assembling the ingredients and all, it says to
stovetop the stew meat for 8 Hours at LOW temp OR...get this...4 Hours at HIGH temp!

4 hours at high temp for 2 lbs of cubed beef? Doesn't anyone find stewing cubed beef on High for 4 hours a bit extreme? I did. I guess they know what they're doing tho. Otherwise I like McCormick's mixes.

Last edited:
Well, this will bore all of you to death.

Leftover meat loaf that has veal, ground sirloin, and ground turkey all seasoned in it. We had baked sweet potatoes and gravy on the meat loaf, and white corn we had canned last year.

Burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrppppp.

Cut up canteloupe and ice cream for dessert...yum! Then we added insult to injury and fired up the fire pit with mesquite and toasted marshmallows over it.

Welcome spring and the great outdoors! Phew, I was beginning to think I would be another Jack Nicholson in the movie "The Shining"...another whacko victim of cabin fever. Yikes!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom