Tonight it was ribs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paymaster

Sous Chef
Fired the Akorn up and did Baby Backs and country styles two ways. My daughter does not want rub or sauce on her country style ribs. Just smoke.

img_1419400_0_5458aff289031fac961627d66da733c4.jpg

img_1419400_1_30f30a845e2cbb9cae034341d4ea5e18.jpg

img_1419400_2_827437d2ac27986e96921ecbfa5d3adf.jpg

It's 25 degrees up here and you're cooking ribs. Almost makes me want to move south. But then again, if I moved south, I wouldn't be going steelhead fishing in the morning.

Yeh, you're ribs look fantastic. Nice job.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Are those Costco back ribs?
Only back ribs I have purchased that look like little rib chops at the fat end. Like there's too much meat on them? I mean that sounds stupid, but they really do look like I cut them from a bone in rib roast, not a rack of back ribs. They are still very good though, but different for back ribs.
I have stopped buying back ribs at Costco and I now buy St. Louis cut racks only.

Only back ribs I have purchased that look like little rib chops at the fat end. Like there's too much meat on them? I mean that sounds stupid, but they really do look like I cut them from a bone in rib roast, not a rack of back ribs. They are still very good though, but different for back ribs.
I have stopped buying back ribs at Costco and I now buy St. Louis cut racks only.

I think the ones with "too much meat" are the country-style ribs.

The ribs were cryovac packaged baby backs. I cut the rack in two to fit everything on the cooker. The others are country style ribs which are cut up Boston Butt Roast.

Yes

No. Buy a three pack vacuum bag of back ribs at Costco and see what I mean.
I know the difference between country style ribs and baby back ribs.
For the record. Costco does not sell bone in country style ribs.
Its back ribs or St. Louis cut ribs.

The ribs were cryovac packaged baby backs. I cut the rack in two to fit everything on the cooker. The others are country style ribs which are cut up Boston Butt Roast.Yes

So in answer to my question. Were the back ribs from Costco?
I asked about the "extra" meat because in your picture, it looks like the back ribs I get from Costco.
Regular ribs on the thin end and small pork chops on the fat end.

No. Buy a three pack vacuum bag of back ribs at Costco and see what I mean.
I know the difference between country style ribs and baby back ribs.
For the record. Costco does not sell bone in country style ribs.
Its back ribs or St. Louis cut ribs.

No, not from Costco. I love shopping at Costco but the closest one to me is an hour and a half away.

So in answer to my question. Were the back ribs from Costco?
I asked about the "extra" meat because in your picture, it looks like the back ribs I get from Costco.
Regular ribs on the thin end and small pork chops on the fat end.

Country style ribs, according to this site - Pork Country-style Ribs - National Pork Board, country style ribs come from the sirloin, thick side, and are indeed ribs. They are great when cooked properly, either with a dry or wet rub on the grill, or in the oven. I've even cooked them in the pressure cooker and sauced them when they were done. I love country style ribs as much as I love the Carolina Cut ribs - https://www.google.com/search?q=St+...dded-fresh%2Fvalue-added-spareribs%2F;387;306. Baby-back are my least favorite ribs, as the ratio of bone to meat has too much bone. St. Lewis cut are my 2nd favorite cut.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Maybe what they call country styles, but not anyone down here. All country styles down here are from the shoulder butt section and are not true ribs.

Maybe what they call country styles, but not anyone down here. All country styles down here are from the shoulder butt section and are not true ribs.

I happened to surf by an episode of BBQ Pitmasters yesterday, and one of the cuts they were doing was being called country style ribs. They didn't look anything like any country style I ever saw. They were in a rack for smoking and after being cut up for the judges, they looked more like frenched rib chops than country style ribs. I've certainly never seen a rack anywhere else that looked like those ones.

The country style ribs I've always done are the same as the ones you made. Sometimes they have some bone, other times they don't - just depends on what part of the butt they come from - but when they do have some bone, it doesn't look anything like a rib. More like shoulder blade.

When I buy CS ribs at the local supermarket, they look like this with a bone and several different muscles represented.

Attachments

• exps44464_TH1443685D51.jpg
    exps44464_TH1443685D51.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 70
That was the point of my post.

You're right, pork rules!

Pork is good, but liverwurst rules.:ohmy: Naw, I was just kidding. I love grilled pork, over glowing coals. But then again, I love grilled chicken, and grilled ribeyes, and grilled brookies, and grilled turkey, and grilled lamb and ...:yum:

Haven't tired grilled grasshoppers, but grilled swordfish is fabulous.

And Andy, that's what country style ribs look like here as well. I can believe they are true ribs, from the sirloin end.

Pork may not rule in my house, bit it ties with the rest.:mrgreen:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom