Refrigerate after Opening, & use within 10 Mins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Burnt-toast

Assistant Cook
Well.....maybe not quite as bad as that. But more and more I am seeing these messages on food containers that may have stood happily on Supermarket shelves for months, totally uncooled.

So what is it that makes it so important to use within a short period of time ?

I have a genuine reason for asking this, because, as you all know, it is far more economical to buy a large tin/pot/jar/container of just about anything than it is to buy a small one.

And I am also totally prepared to believe that there are many products to which this sort of message would genuinely apply. Dairy based produce springs to mind.

But now I am seeing it on the most unlikely [ to me, anyway] of things. Thai Chilli Sauce. Farmhouse Pickle. Mustard. Apricot Chutney !!

So I am keen to find out just what it is about opening something that leads to these 'new' rules applying. Is it because it has been exposed to air ? And therefore, is cold air [ refrigerated] safer than warmer air ?

In the case of my 1KG Jar of Thai Chilli sauce, [ which I didn't notice had to be consumed within 3 weeks until I was home !] would it be safe to decant it into 4 x 250gm jars, full to the brim, and tightly screw the tops on ?

That is just a particular case in point, but am keen to find out the general principles behind it all.

I sometimes think that some manufacturers take advantage of the stricter rules and regs just to increase the sales of their own products.....but, of course, I could be wrong. I frequently am !

But the more I can find out from reliable sauces, [ sorry....couldn't resist it ] the better.

Many thanks.

Well.....maybe not quite as bad as that. But more and more I am seeing these messages on food containers that may have stood happily on Supermarket shelves for months, totally uncooled.

So what is it that makes it so important to use within a short period of time ?

I have a genuine reason for asking this, because, as you all know, it is far more economical to buy a large tin/pot/jar/container of just about anything than it is to buy a small one.

And I am also totally prepared to believe that there are many products to which this sort of message would genuinely apply. Dairy based produce springs to mind.

But now I am seeing it on the most unlikely [ to me, anyway] of things. Thai Chilli Sauce. Farmhouse Pickle. Mustard. Apricot Chutney !!

So I am keen to find out just what it is about opening something that leads to these 'new' rules applying. Is it because it has been exposed to air ? And therefore, is cold air [ refrigerated] safer than warmer air ?

In the case of my 1KG Jar of Thai Chilli sauce, [ which I didn't notice had to be consumed within 3 weeks until I was home !] would it be safe to decant it into 4 x 250gm jars, full to the brim, and tightly screw the tops on ?

That is just a particular case in point, but am keen to find out the general principles behind it all.

I sometimes think that some manufacturers take advantage of the stricter rules and regs just to increase the sales of their own products.....but, of course, I could be wrong. I frequently am !

But the more I can find out from reliable sauces, [ sorry....couldn't resist it ] the better.

Many thanks.
"So what is it that makes it so important to use within a short period of time?" Fear of being sued?

Seriously, though could you freeze the jars that you don't need? Or can them?

"So what is it that makes it so important to use within a short period of time?" Fear of being sued?

Seriously, though could you freeze the jars that you don't need? Or can them?

The main reason is companies have discovered that the new push to put dates on everything allows them to to suggest that a product should be used by a certain date or time from opening. These dates and times are only based on potential loss of food quality or taste and not based on health reasons.

Use the same method you used before to determine what to keep and what to throw out.

Once you open a sealed container, it becomes contaminated from microbes floating in the air (doesn't matter whether it's warm or cold), or on a utensil you've used to remove some of the item from the container. More acidic ingredients (citrus juice, vinegar, etc.) can prevent mold, etc., from growing for a while, but less acidic items will go bad faster.

Once you open a sealed container, it becomes contaminated from microbes floating in the air (doesn't matter whether it's warm or cold), or on a utensil you've used to remove some of the item from the container. More acidic ingredients (citrus juice, vinegar, etc.) can prevent mold, etc., from growing for a while, but less acidic items will go bad faster.

Thanks for that. So is it all about mold growth ?

And if it doesn't make any difference whether it's warm or cold, why does everything have to be 'Refrigerated after Opening' ?

Also, if it's about exposure to air, then surely a tall thin container would be a lot safer than a short fat one ? [Talking about decanting]...especially if filled to the brim and well sealed ?

Finally....can you freeze EVERYTHING ?

Cheers.

These dates and times are only based on potential loss of food quality or taste and not based on health reasons.

I'm sure you are right, but surely it should be the 'Health and Safety' factor that these things should be based on ?

If something doesn't taste quite so good, but is not dangerous, what does it matter ?

Or maybe there should be 2 Dates.....'Safe Before....', and 'Best Taste Before...' ??

And in many cases there are so many numbers and ingredients, and heaven knows what else on today's packaging, it's hard to see the wood for the trees.

Thanks for that. So is it all about mold growth ?

And if it doesn't make any difference whether it's warm or cold, why does everything have to be 'Refrigerated after Opening' ?

Also, if it's about exposure to air, then surely a tall thin container would be a lot safer than a short fat one ? [Talking about decanting]...especially if filled to the brim and well sealed ?

Finally....can you freeze EVERYTHING ?

Cheers.

No, it's not all about mold growth. That's why I said, "...mold, etc." There are other potentially toxic microbes.

Refrigerate after opening because the cold inhibits bacteria and mold growth.

re: the container: don't know. I'm not a scientist, just someone educated in food safety.

You can freeze everything. Quality after thawing will vary considerably and will affect how you can then use the item.

I'm sure you are right, but surely it should be the 'Health and Safety' factor that these things should be based on ?

If something doesn't taste quite so good, but is not dangerous, what does it matter ?

Or maybe there should be 2 Dates.....'Safe Before....', and 'Best Taste Before...' ??

And in many cases there are so many numbers and ingredients, and heaven knows what else on today's packaging, it's hard to see the wood for the trees.

If something doesn't taste good, people won't buy it again and the company will lose money.

Bacteria grow fastest at room temp, so cooler temps slow the growth of bacteria. Freezing stops the growth of bacteria.

If something doesn't taste good, people won't buy it again and the company will lose money.

I don't care about that. It's the Health and Safety issue these things should be based on. Not a Company's Balance Sheet.

It's opened the door for widespread mis-information just so companies can reduce the time food is OK for, and make more money by re-selling more of the same, before strictly necessary.

And it was Birdseye that scared us about freezing food that had been frozen and thawed. They scared us because they didn't want us ruining the texture of their frozen vegis by re-freezing them.

I don't care about that. It's the Health and Safety issue these things should be based on. Not a Company's Balance Sheet.

It's opened the door for widespread mis-information just so companies can reduce the time food is OK for, and make more money by re-selling more of the same, before strictly necessary.

Well, "should" has never stopped companies from considering their bottom line.
And the bottom line here is no one knows when opened food will actually become unsafe, because it is what happens from the point of opening on that matters. Companies will always choose to err on the side of caution, and their bottom line.

Your best defense is to educate yourself on food safety until you feel comfortable about which labels to follow and which to ignore.

Well, "should" has never stopped companies from considering their bottom line.
And the bottom line here is no one knows when opened food will actually become unsafe, because it is what happens from the point of opening on that matters. Companies will always choose to err on the side of caution, and their bottom line.

Your best defense is to educate yourself on food safety until you feel comfortable about which labels to follow and which to ignore.

+1 Not to mention that companies will go out of business if people don't buy their products because they don't taste good.

+1 Not to mention that companies will go out of business if people don't buy their products because they don't taste good.

But does that matter to us ? In a discussion about Food Safety ?

I understand your point, of course.....but not sure of its relevance to this thread. Unless you have a lot of shares in the Big Business Food sector ?

Sure. Exactly. And that's what I'm trying to do. It's partly why I asked the question. But not finding it easy to get good answers !

If you're saying that I have to find out through experience, and trial and error, [like everyone else !].....OK. Fair enough.

And thanks for your everyone's advice. Maybe it was a bad question. There are no 'short-cuts' !!

My thinking is that they are probably using less preservatives (which I welcome) and so the fresher product does not last so long and needs refrigerating. I notice it in some low sugar jams and don't mind it's shorter life if it means the product is more fruity than sugary.

It pays to have a system so as not to have to throw stuff away. I jot down the dates they should be used up by on a calendar so can be reminded that I need to use it up. I hate to throw out food.

Last edited:
My thinking is that they are probably using less preservatives (which I welcome) and so the fresher product does not last so long and needs refrigerating. I notice it in some low sugar jams and don't mind it's shorter life if it means the product is more fruity than sugary.

It pays to have a system so as not to have to throw stuff away. I jot down the dates they should be used up by on a calendar so can be reminded that I need to use it up. I hate to throw out food.

Thankyou. And I quite agree with everything you've said. I also have little stickers with dates on stuff.....even stuff I've cooked and frozen !!
What I'm trying to understand is what controls these dates that are on food products, as there doesn't seem to be any conformity behind it all. I'm sure there is, and that's what I'm trying to understand. I don't necessarily trust something as being Gospel, just because it;s printed on the packet.

Call me cynical if you wish, but I suspect 'other' motives behind some of these 'use by' dates.

Mustard is a good example. Since the start of the Second World War I have always just kept in on a shelf, and used it for years until the pot is empty.
Suddenly I see it must be 'Refrigerated after opening'. Since when ? Are they making it differently ? Which elements does it contain that can 'go off' ?

And presumably there must be a common factor amongst those foods that can become 'dangerous'. I just feel that it would be advantageous to know what these are. That's all.

But does that matter to us ? In a discussion about Food Safety ?

I understand your point, of course.....but not sure of its relevance to this thread. Unless you have a lot of shares in the Big Business Food sector ?

Well, maybe not to you, but it matters to me. Re: "shares in the Big Business Food sector?" You're way too cynical. I'm done trying to answer your questions.

Well, maybe not to you, but it matters to me. Re: "shares in the Big Business Food sector?" You're way too cynical. I'm done trying to answer your questions.

That was a joke. We are obviously not on the same wavelength !

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom