Looking for hummus variation recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amysueheck

Assistant Cook
I'm looking to make a different flavor besides basic or roasted red pepper hummus. Any ideas out there?

Kalamata olives are great in hummus.

You might try adding a handful of fresh parsley. Makes the hummus green and adds a nice fresh flavor.

Yum, that sounds like a great combo...maybe with lime instead of lemon. Thanks!

That would probably work in both the basic AND red pepper. That's a definite try!

Sun blushed tomatoes blitzed into the hummus are great....or pesto (either basil based or the red version) - maybe with some mayo or creme fraiche/sour cream.

I do kalamata olive hummus often. The olives really add a great flavor.

Also, consider roasted garlic as an add-in.

I like the idea of adding Kalamata olives. I often add a spoon of almond butter or peanut butter. I'm going to make some right now! Yum!

Kalamata fan here, too! I also like another Trader Joe's version (no longer available, IIRC) that had a squeeze of lemon juice and some lemon zest.

Haven't had a chance to try any of these yet, but Serious Eats has a long list of variations. Maybe you'll see something that tickles your taste buds:
15 Easy Hummus Variations

Hummus

Thanks everyone! Sounds like kalamata olive is a fan favorite here. I'll give it a try.

You could also break away from using the typical chickpeas and use white beans (with garlic, yumm!) or black beans (cilantro w/lemon juice).

You could also break away from using the typical chickpeas and use white beans (with garlic, yumm!) or black beans (cilantro w/lemon juice).

Now that sounds good too. Does tahini get added to the black bean version?

Z, your suggestion reminded me of something I saved from my old copy of Cooking Light. I found it online, Lots and LOTS of different "hummus" recipes. Black Bean, Black-Eyed Peas, Carrot! amysue, there are at least a dozen different recipes at this link - enjoy!

Hummus Recipes

A year or two back I found this Hummus pic. I haven't served it like this yet, but its on my " to do" list.

Its in the same lie as the Kalamata Olives.

Attachments

• 9385054093_96a213eb18_z.jpg
    9385054093_96a213eb18_z.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 228
I did do a search on the forum and what pulled up wasn't for hummus, but a lot of different threads on all kinds of topics. Maybe I'm not searching correctly.:ermm: I'm new to the site and still learning my way around.

Sorry--I don't have time to hunt for the threads. I make hummus all the time....but I don't use a recipe--I just use what I have--roasted red peppers, garlic, a bit of sesame oil, chives, cilantro.

Sorry--I don't have time to hunt for the threads. I make hummus all the time....but I don't use a recipe--I just use what I have--roasted red peppers, garlic, a bit of sesame oil, chives, cilantro.

While playing around some more on here I did see that I was able to pull up those hummus discussions by searching under POSTS instead of THREADS. Learn something new every day. :)

I like the idea of sesame oil...and that just got me thinking about flavored olive oils which would probably work well.

Harissa EVOO is amazing when added to hummus. As is cayenne EVOO. Using black chick peas instead of blond is also a great way to make hummus. Fresh lime juice instead of lemon, tangerine or orange juice. The options are endless.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom