Double Fried Crispy Chicken Wings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

powerplantop

Executive Chef
For Marinade:
1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper
1 teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon Granulated Garlic
1 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
1 Tablespoon Hot Sauce
1 Cup Buttermilk

Mix marinade and coat wings. Let wings marinate 1 or 2 hours in the refrigerator.

Season 1.5 Cups All Purpose Flour with:
1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1/4 teaspoon Granulated Garlic
1/4 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper

After wings have marinated coat with seasoned flour and let rest for 10 minutes.

After 10 minutes coat wings again and heat oil to 340F

Working in batches fry wings until they have just browned on both sides. Remove and place on wire rack.

After all wings have been browned heat oil to 375F. Working in batches fry wings until golden brown. Remove to wire rack.

Double Fried Crispy Chicken Wings by powerplantop, on Flickr

Video Recipe

What's kind of cool is my Albertson's supermarket sells packages of chicken drummettes, no wings, just the little drumsticks. I use to fry them up in my Presto Cool Daddy. I want to try pan frying them to get a crispier coating. I may ditch my $49 Presto Fry Daddy. I haven't had much luck with it other than frying chicken drummettes.

Last edited:
Drumettes are the meaty portion of chicken wings. Drumsticks are the legs.

The meaty portion?

Yes... drumettes are mini drumsticks cut from wing portions off a small chicken and packaged and labeled as chicken drumettes. It's nice to get just the mini drumsticks in a package, not the wing parts. To me, the wing parts always seem a little bit more fatty, I may be mistaken.

Last edited:
Drumettes are wings. One specific part of a full one. I think that was GG's point

Yes, thanks, jennyema. I think calling them "mini drumsticks" could be confusing to people who aren't familiar with them, since drumsticks are a different part of the bird. I did actually know someone in college who thought drumettes were small chicken legs aka drumsticks.

KFC used to sell drumettes. I tried them once and was not impressed. Too salty and really no flavor to speak of. What they do with them now, I have no idea. :angel:

Powerplant, those sound and look really good. I love wings with a little spicy kick. Thank you for sharing your recipe - copied and saved to make soon! :yum:

Same here PP. Only I will be omitting the Cayenne Pepper. Not the best seasoning for this elderly stomach. This cooking method is based on making crispy French Fries. Standard cooking method if you want your fried foods to be crispy. Regardless, it sounds so easy and delicious. Now to find me some chicken wings that aren't in the frozen aisle.

My store has these bags that I wouldn't even toss into the trough for the swine. Pin feathers, large hack marks where the cleaver missed, etc. I will pass thank you. Even if I have to pay top price and wait for them. With this recipe, it will be well worth it! :angel:

The meaty portion?

Yes... drumettes are mini drumsticks cut from wing portions off a small chicken and packaged and labeled as chicken drumettes. It's nice to get just the mini drumsticks in a package, not the wing parts. To me, the wing parts always seem a little bit more fatty, I may be mistaken.
The meaty end of the drumette is actually the joint where the wing attaches to the bird. I'll call it the shoulder. If a chicken has a shoulder:ermm:

My wife and I fight over the wing part that isn't the drumette,, the piece with two bones. When I make wings, the leftovers are always drumettes. ;)

Back
Top Bottom