Fridge shame - secret lives of refrigerators

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Janet H

Certifiable Executive Chef
Staff member
Today I saw an ad in Bon appetit for a lovely Jenn-aire fridge. Perfect, styley, clean, full off awesome food... I want that life but will never achieve it. As I began to actually look at the ad I hit me that the "perfect" fridge in the ad in NO way looked like mine. This fridge has a glass bottle of milk and fresh cut figs. Mine has a plastic gallon and a mostly used jar of fig preserves stuffed waaaaay in the back - somewhere. Compare:

Theirs: Where are the pickles, jams, mustards and endless bottles of half used condiments? Where are the left-overs, half eaten yogurt cups and take out boxes? This fridge looks more like a floral shop than food storage.

jennair_ad.jpg

Mine: A cluttered mess. Casserole, a bowl with a hardboiled egg saved for the dogs, my DHs coffee cup (has to be a story there), and many, many jars. My juice is in cardboard - theirs is in a beautiful open pitcher. I have to wonder is the open peppers and olives in the nearby bowl are going to enhance the flavor of the juice. The beautiful serene fridge.. lovely but impossible.

fridge.jpg

How does your fridge stack up? Post a picture - I dare you..... ;)

What gets me is the cooking shows, where they show a glass see-through refrigerator door, and there are bottles of brightly colored liquids in there, so pristine. What the.....? :ohmy::ermm::LOL:

I cheated here a bit....here's a pic of my open fridge from last summer when we had a similar thread - my kitchen is small and it was hard enough to get this shot, I had to practically sit on the countertops on the other side of the kitchen....lol :mrgreen:

Attachments

• 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 249
Last edited:
If it wasn't for pickles and mustard I wouldn't need a fridge.

Can't find my camera, must have packed it...

Gah! Just realized what a horrible picture I took!

Oh well, need to go count my mustards.

After seeing some of my friends refrigerators I considered starting a business of cleaning refrigerators:wacko:.

Here's mine..

This is a completely unedited frig, no rearranging.

Attachments

• DSCN3470.jpg
    DSCN3470.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 310
Last edited:
Give me about a day week month year decade to clean mine out and then I'll begin to think about a picture of the inside. ;)

This is one dare I won't accept.

Was going to post a pic of the outside but the camera battery is dead.
Maybe later. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Oh dear! Right now my fridge has everything pushed to the back as far as it will go. The top shelf is almost empty. Only very tall items are there.

The reason for the push back? I went shopping yesterday. Spike being who he is, took a friend of the family that we all call Ditzy, (with good reason) along so she could do her shopping also. Spike and I have shopping down to a science. Having Ditzy along prolonged the trip by an extra hour. We are usually in and out in 45 minutes. I came home absolutely exhausted. He brought my groceries up in the large shopping cart that we have on the property. He usually puts away all my groceries. Not this time. Fortunately Pirate was here and he did it. The reason for everything being pushed back on the top shelf is that the meats get tossed in there and later I break them down. I never got around to buying my meats because of Ditzy. She kept tracking me down and asking me if Spike would approve of what she was buying. She was totally broke and he was lending her about $50 on his food stamps. No, he will not approve of the flowers, the big chocolate cake, the cute little cookies, the two packages of tomatoes, (a twofer) put one back, four bottles of soda. Now she had to take the time to put back all the stuff that I told her Spike would not care to pay for. As a result I never made it to the meat department. Spike and I had a little talk yesterday. I told him I would rather go to Shaw's alone and pay higher prices than go through that ever again. He agreed. So tomorrow after I break them down and put all the meats away, my fridge will be back to normal. Then I might consider taking a picture. And one of the freezer. :angel:

After seeing some of my friends refrigerators I considered starting a business of cleaning refrigerators:wacko:.

Here's mine..

This is a completely unedited frig, no rearranging.

I have to admit to wiping the orange juice spill off the door sill before snapping a pic - you are very brave ;)

Batteries charged.

Here's the outside. And I was shamed into the inside too.;)

I need more magnets. :rolleyes:

"I have to admit to wiping the orange juice spill off the door sill before snapping a pic "

Cheater. :whistling

Attachments

• IMG_0241.jpg
    IMG_0241.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 245
  • IMG_0242.jpg
    IMG_0242.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 241
A week ago you could see the back wall of my fridge. Today? Not so much! :LOL: Last week, when I packed away all my shopping, you needed to hold a hand up when you opened the door just in case something tried to escape. :ohmy:

I took "before" and "after" pics since today is shopping day. Didn't need much today, but had to run out and get the deals at the stores before the ad week ends. Hence, quite a few things in the "before" shot. I took a tighter shot for the second picture, since nothing changed in the "wings".

Attachments

• 2015-05-08 15.24.52.jpg
    2015-05-08 15.24.52.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 278
  • 2015-05-08 20.56.25.jpg
    2015-05-08 20.56.25.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 244
Now that fridge looks disgustingly healthy, CG! Obviously, your use of photographic lighting is much better than mine, as has everyone else's. My pic looks like something you'd find at the Munster's.

Last edited:
The secret life of refrigerators indeed. My old fridge started making these weird funny talking like noises at me between cooling cycles. I had to get another fridge recently, one that was quiet and didn't make obscure talking like noises at me. No, I'm not on any psyche drugs, yet.

Last edited:
At least you weren't talking back to your fridge, Caslon. Or were you? :LOL:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom