May 7, 2015 - What's on the table?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoAnn L.

Master Chef
Grandson Josh is here with us this week ( oh my gosh, he just turned 13) and he said could I please make him some meatloaf for supper tonight. He also loves mashed potatoes with butter on them and for a vegetable its green bean casserole.

Similar meal here tonight. Just bought some fresh grass fed ground beef and some potatoes for potato salad, although I will put some bakers in the oven when the meatloaf goes in the oven. Lotsa pop corn later.

Here's a meatloaf variation I've had good results with.....as weird as they may seem to some. LOL
I buy frozen grass fed Highland cattle ground beef with a percentage of beef fat added. No 'medications' no hormones no finishing diet. Just off the pastureland and into the truck to be slaughtered. Anyway.
The packages are weighted at 1 pound. A package fits loosely into a bread pan.
Out of the freezer. Unwrapped. Into the bread loaf pan. Pour in whatever type of tomato sauce you wish. I like to use V8 juice. Enough to cover the ground beef. That's it.
Into a 210 F oven. Yes a 210 F oven middle rack.
In about three hours the meatloaf interior temp. is about 150-155 F. The carryover temp will reach about 160 F.
Allow to cool slice and serve.
The V8 juice has kept the meatloaf nice and moist.
Serve with baked potatoes.

Would a MOD or ADMIN. please correct the date.

Burgers, beer and cole slaw for tonight's dinner.

Here's a meatloaf variation I've had good results with.....as weird as they may seem to some. LOL
I buy frozen grass fed Highland cattle ground beef with a percentage of beef fat added. No 'medications' no hormones no finishing diet. Just off the pastureland and into the truck to be slaughtered. Anyway.
The packages are weighted at 1 pound. A package fits loosely into a bread pan.
Out of the freezer. Unwrapped. Into the bread loaf pan. Pour in whatever type of tomato sauce you wish. I like to use V8 juice. Enough to cover the ground beef. That's it.
Into a 210 F oven. Yes a 210 F oven middle rack.
In about three hours the meatloaf interior temp. is about 150-155 F. The carryover temp will reach about 160 F.
Allow to cool slice and serve.
The V8 juice has kept the meatloaf nice and moist.
Serve with baked potatoes.

A preparation like this, reminds me of that Tom T. Hall song "Ode to Half Pound of Plain Ground Round".:)

Last edited:
Sorry I put the wrong date. Thanks for catching it Andy. I must also have the wrong date on my check at the store this morning.

I thawed a nice pork shoulder steak this morning hoping to grill it this afternoon, with Andy's rice pilaf and green beans as sides. The wind nixed that idea - I don't mind grilling in a little breeze, but not a tornado. :LOL: Hopefully tomorrow.

Fixin' to make a taco salad with the last of the grilled steak from Cinco de Mayo, and a couple of fresh picked tomatoes. :yum:

My back is killing me. I took some Robax in, but it only helps a bit. Really couldn't cook, so we ordered Chinese. It was quite good. The beef with ginger was a little odd. The chef must have been in a hurry or in a lazy mood. The pieces of ginger were huge - just slices off some large ginger root. Poor Stirling thought it was some kind of Chinese mushroom, so he put a whole piece in his mouth and had a surprise. :LOL:

We went to the Farmers' Market figuring we'd come home with some spring veggies. No luck. Wandered around The Quiet Corner for a while, stopped for ice cream, and came home not feeling like cooking. Ended up cleaning up leftover salad, egg salad, and tuna salad. Good thing we usually have a nice selection of leftovers!

Last edited:
Clam chowder. I woke up in the middle of the night and realized that I HAD to get the clams cooking before they all died on me. Fortunately there was only two. One was cracked and the other failed to respond when I knocked on it door. And I kept knocking and knocking. It just refused to close. The dead clam went into the disposal and the shells into the trash. :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom