Meatloaf spices?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giggler

Sous Chef
Oh!, I'm planning to make my Mom's style meatloaf tonight and I have no dry onion soup mix!

What spices would work instead?

I plan to use meat, canned mushrooms, diced onion, and cracker crumbs, an egg.

But need some spice recommendations, please..

Thyme and parsley and garlic powder?

Thanks, Eric, Austin Tx.

Oh!, I'm planning to make my Mom's style meatloaf tonight and I have no dry onion soup mix!

What spices would work instead?

I plan to use meat, canned mushrooms, diced onion, and cracker crumbs, an egg.

But need some spice recommendations, please..

Thyme and parsley and garlic powder?

Thanks, Eric, Austin Tx.
Worcestershire sauce, some granulated beef or mushroom bouillon dissolved in a bit of water. A dash of soy sauce. I usually add a little powdered milk. Not sure what is in onion soup mix, but perhaps some oregano?

As others have said, a little Worcestershire sauce and garlic.

And for me, meatloaf must have diced bell peppers. :yum:

Meatloaf is the "clean out the refrigerator" stew that you can cut with a fork. I use whatever sounds good and whatever I have on hand at that moment. With meatloaf, there is no right nor wrong!

Mine always has onion (small diced), salt and pepper. sometimes I'll add some chopped sautéed mushrooms. I may mix in some Montreal Steak seasoning, but usually I like my meat loaf fairly straight up.

I'm also in the camp that doesn't use any sort of tomato sauce on it. I use a can of cream of mushroom soup and that's spread on top 1/2 hour before it's done cooking, with sliced green olives dotted on top of the soup. I use oatmeal for the binder, not breadcrumbs. I learned it from my mother, and it was one of my favorite comfort foods growing up, so the changes I make to her formula are quite minimal.

Meatloaf is a clean slate. You've been given some standard ones here. I make several different recipes but I never got into the habit of topping my meatloaf with tomato, or other stuff. I just make it and bake it.

I use several splashes of soy or teriyaki sauce instead of salt. Spices include garlic powder, onion powder, dried onion, marjoram, savory and basil. If I'm out of marjoram and savory, I substitute oregano.

For your Mom's meatloaf:
1 lb. ground beef
1 lb. ground pork, or ground pork breakfast sausage
1 large egg
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. black pepper
4 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 onion, finely minced
1/8 cup whole milk
1/4 cup bread crumbs.

Chief's Mount Vesuvius Meatloaf:
1 lb. ground beef
1 lb. ground Italian Sausage
1 large egg
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. black pepper
1 onion, finely minced
2 tsp. dried oregano
2 tsp. dried sweet basil
1/2 tsp. rosemary
1/2 tsp. ground thyme
1/8 cup whole milk
1/4 cup bread crumbs.
Mix well, form into a mountain-scape with a crater on top. Bake for 1 hour at 375' F.. When done, fill crater with marinara sauce until dripping down the side, and strategically place strands of string chese in the lava rivulets. Bake another ten minutes to melt the cheese.

Chief's Montezuma Meatloaf:
1 lb. ground beef
1 lb. ground Pork
1 large egg
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. black pepper
1/4 cup minced jalapeno peppers
1/4 cup minced brightly colored bell pepper
1 onion, finely minced
2 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. dried cumin
1 tsp. ground coriander
1/2 tsp. ground thyme
1/8 cup whole milk
1/4 cup bread crumbs.
Mix well, form into a mountain-scape with a crater on top. Bake for 1 hour at 375' F. When done, fill crater with enchilada sauce until dripping down the side, and strategically place strands of Queso Fresco chese in the lava rivulets. Bake another ten minutes to melt the cheese. Place the volcano onto a platter and suround with refried beans to make the ground. Place broccoli flowerettes to look like trees in your landscape. Serve hot.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Lognwind of the North

If not already mentioned, 1/4 teaspoon per pound of seasoned salt (besides the salt and pepper) and 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder per pound of hamburger.

Make sure you fry a little piece before making and roasting the loaf.
In way to many instances, i had wished i thought about this before roasting.
Salt being the ingredient that needed adjustment.

Salt is also a problem of mine. I tend to undersalt or not salt at all.

I can always add salt when I'm eating.

You can certainly add salt at the table, but salt sitting on top of the food is not the same as seasoning food as it's prepared and cooked. It's not as good, imo.

I am with you on that one. I am not a salt user. So I forget to salt when I am cooking. Unless I am reading a recipe as I go along and it says 'salt' The only two foods I can think of right now that make a difference that really need salt when preparing are mashed potatoes and water for pasta. I will reach for it when I sit down to eat if there is no salt in those two items. Otherwise I am not a salt person. :angel:

Addie, I usually use lite soy sauce, sparingly, as about half of whatever salt I used to add. I love the flavor, and still keep the salt down.

So many canned goods have too much salt for me. I like it when I can find low or no salt versions.

I rarely use canned goods anymore. I buy frozen vegetables as often as I can, and I find alternatives to lots of things such as making catsup, BBQ sauce and salsa from whole tomatoes. I don't claim, to be 100% can-free, but when I feel up to it, I make a low salt effort.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom