Lion fish: eat them to beat them

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We hear a lot about the lionfish problem in Aruba. It's fished there and offered in some restaurants to try to keep the population down. It's not very widespread.

I've seen a few when we snorkel in Cozumel. Most are out deeper. There was a recent video on YouTube that showed a diver spearing bunches of them, they were everywhere.

Nasty beasties, they eat all the baby fish of other species like grouper.

Have you tried lion fish, Andy?

Cool video, Kay! Thanks! They are voracious, non-native predators. I may have to bring a spear gun and a bag next time we go back to Cozumel.

With all the bad press, I refuse to eat Swai, although it's the cheapest fish on the market.
Makes one wonder why lion fish couldn't be marketed all over so we could all "eat them to beat them" too.

I agree. Part of the problem is that lion fish have to be speared by divers. They don't take bait and hooks. Swai are farmed, the proverbial "fish in a barrel."

Haven't had the opportunity. I look fo rit on menus in Aruba but it hasn't shown up where we've been.

There's a list of Aruban restaurants that serve it on the link I posted.

In Cozumel, my hands-down favorite is at La Perlita, a well-established and much beloved locals place. On Thursdays, they have two for one pez leon (lion fish). The lion fish ceviche is also excellent.

Anywhere I see them on the menu, that's what I'm having. The only disappointment we had was in a restaurant in Cozumel that smothered a beautiful lion fish filet with tomato sauce and covered that with sliced green olives. What a waste.

Nooooooo..... don't do that Dawg!! I've been reading more about those devil fish!:w00t2:
Lionfish Facts | LionfishHunter.com

No worries, Kay! A friend developed a special spear gun he calls the ELF (Eliminate Lion Fish), and I would use gloves. There's also a special bag you stuff them in where they can't get out. Many restaurants on Cozumel will prepare and cook them for you for cheap. BTW, once you get rid of the spines, the fish are perfectly safe to eat, they are not poisonous, just venomous with the spines. Eat them, don't pet them.

I need to do more free diving.

Last edited:
I was looking at the map in your link, Dawg - holy cow, it's amazing how the lion fish population has grown just in the past decade. :ohmy: It's scary how they prey on the good fish that keep the algae down on the reefs. At least lion fish are said to be very tasty. Love/hate relationship there. :ermm::LOL: I'd sure try one, given the chance!

I might have posted this before - my son-in-law took this pic a few years ago when he was diving off of Indonesia. They are a fascinating looking fish.

Attachments

• 2115_1066028339392_747_n.jpg
    2115_1066028339392_747_n.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:
If the food industry and the media could generate a level of enthusiasm for the lion fish similar to the hype the Chilean Sea Bass got, the citizens of the world would eat that sucker into oblivion in no time. Before you know it environmentalists will want it on the endangered species list and "Save the Lion Fish" protests will immobilize major US cities.

I was looking at the map in your link, Dawg - holy cow, it's amazing how the lion fish population has grown just in the past decade. :ohmy: It's scary how they prey on the good fish that keep the algae down on the reefs. At least lion fish are said to be very tasty. Love/hate relationship there. :ermm::LOL: I'd sure try one, given the chance!

I might have posted this before - my son-in-law took this pic a few years ago when he was diving off of Indonesia. They are a fascinating looking fish.

Aren't they beautiful, Cheryl? Just wish they'd stayed in Indonesia! At least there, they have natural predators. In the Caribbean, the other fish, including the groupers and sharks, have no clue what to do with them!

Back
Top Bottom