Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Food Shows, News and Media (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f147/)
-   -   Egg rationing in America has officially begun (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f147/egg-rationing-in-america-has-officially-begun-93129.html)

GotGarlic 06-06-2015 12:44 PM

Egg rationing in America has officially begun
 
Due to an epidemic of swine flu sweeping chicken farms in the United States, 46 million birds have been affected since April, mostly laying hens. The only way to control it is to destroy them.

Egg rationing in America has officially begun - The Washington Post

Cheryl J 06-06-2015 08:07 PM

Very sad - the ripple effects from this could be huge. :sad:

CWS4322 06-06-2015 08:27 PM

That's the problem with the egg industry--battery farms without regulations, inspections, etc. So glad I have my own laying hens. I know they are happy hens, healthy, get out in the sunshine, do what hens do.

Dawgluver 06-06-2015 08:35 PM

Egg rationing in America has officially begun
 
I'm driving to CWS's place and adopting a couple of her hens. Beagle would love them.

CWS4322 06-06-2015 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawgluver (Post 1424880)
I'm driving to CWS's place and adopting a couple of her hens. Beagle would love them.

Drive on, DL. It takes about 24 hours to get here from LOW!

RPCookin 06-06-2015 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CWS4322 (Post 1424879)
That's the problem with the egg industry--battery farms without regulations, inspections, etc. So glad I have my own laying hens. I know they are happy hens, healthy, get out in the sunshine, do what hens do.

That's fine for you. People who live in cities and towns ( probably more than 95% of the population) don't have that option. They depend on the those farms that you deplore. I can mostly get by without eggs for a while if I have to, but for many people it's a significant part of their diet. Those people will have a difficult time adapting until the industry recovers. I feel for them.

CWS4322 06-06-2015 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RPCookin (Post 1424883)
That's fine for you. People who live in cities and towns ( probably more than 95% of the population) don't have that option. They depend on the those farms that you deplore. I can mostly get by without eggs for a while if I have to, but for many people it's a significant part of their diet. Those people will have a difficult time adapting until the industry recovers. I feel for them.

Actually, 82% of people live in urban areas.


I don't care where you live--you don't have to buy eggs from a battery farm. I live in a city with a population over 1 million people. Everyone has the option to not buy eggs from battery farms. The condition in which the hens are kept is deplorable. Go to a farmer's market, go to a health food store, pay more for the eggs and know you are not supporting a battery farm, or stop eating eggs. Battery farms are akin to puppy mills.


The hens cannot stretch their wings, dirt bath, scratch for food, etc. They never get to sun bathe. They don't know what it feels like to walk on grass. All they can do is produce eggs and they are kept confined in conditions where if another hen dies, the body doesn't necessarily get removed. It just remains there until the workers get around to removing it. Eggs from the farm gate or the local health food store will taste totally different than the eggs from the battery farm hens. And, farm gate eggs from the small producer come from happy hens. Back in the '30s. '40s, and '50s, people kept hens. My mom grew up with laying hens, as did my dad. He lived in the middle of St. Paul, MN. We need to get people back to having a small flock of laying hens (3-5 birds, small coop). A garden, a few hens...works for me.


Chickens are very intelligent. In many States, chickens are recognized as therapy animals and visit Alzheimer's. patients They do not deserve to be treated as "dumb" birds. I'd suggest that you get 2-3 laying hens and a little coop there in Logan, Colorado. I imagine you could.

Dawgluver 06-06-2015 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CWS4322 (Post 1424882)
Drive on, DL. It takes about 24 hours to get here from LOW!


And about an additional 15 hours from here along the Mississippi!

taxlady 06-06-2015 09:10 PM

I have to agree with CWS on this. It's a big problem with battery farms for chickens.

If CWS's chickens got the Avian flu, I'm sure she would just take extra good care of them until they got over it. It's the flu. I imagine she would isolate the healthy chickens from the ones with the flu. You can't really do that in a battery farm.

I live in the suburbs. I am not allowed to have chickens. I buy organic, free range eggs at the health food store and sometimes at Loblaws/Provigo, a Canadian chain of supermarkets. Sure, it costs me $7.99 for a dozen eggs, but I know the chickens were raised humanely and the eggs have more flavour.

CWS4322 06-06-2015 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taxlady (Post 1424888)
I have to agree with CWS on this. It's a big problem with battery farms for chickens.

If CWS's chickens got the Avian flu, I'm sure she would just take extra good care of them until they got over it. It's the flu. I imagine she would isolate the healthy chickens from the ones with the flu. You can't really do that in a battery farm.

I live in the suburbs. I am not allowed to have chickens. I buy organic, free range eggs at the health food store and sometimes at Loblaws/Provigo, a Canadian chain of supermarkets. Sure, it costs me $7.99 for a dozen eggs, but I know the chickens were raised humanely and the eggs have more flavour.

Key words: raised humanely. Yes I eat meat. I don't eat it every day, but I do buy meat from farmers who have raised their animals humanely. Going to the supermarket, you'd never buy beef from a steer named "Conrad".

We all make choices. I choose to eat fish that is from sustainable fishing practices. I choose to buy local grass-fed beef and lamb and naturally raised pork. I eat less meat and more vegetarian meals because I can't afford to eat grass-feed and naturally raised every day. Since having laying hens, I don't eat chicken except when I have to cook it for the food photographer.

If you haven't been to Montreal, well, it is a challenge to drive in Montreal and it is a fairly large city--I think it is bigger than Ottawa...


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:05 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.