Need help making a soup more " Greek"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
Hi,
I'm making spinach pie tonight, and I thought I'd make a soup to go with it. I found a soup recipe online that is theoretically Greek. Im not Greek, so Im taking their word for it. The ingredients are ( carrots, onions, celery, olive oil, navy beans, tomato sauce, water. For the most part, after hydration the beans, the rest is add to pot and simmer for an hour.

Seems kinda simpler for me. Maybe it is authentic, and Im just too ignorant to know. The soup is simmering as Im typing this, and I was just wondering if anyone has any suggestions what I can add to the soup , at this point, to " Greek" it up a bit? or should I just leave it as is ?? I have a few thoughts in my mind what I can do, I just don't want to sway peoples suggestions by mentioning them.

Thanks, Larry

Sounds like a fairly basic bean soup. Consider adding some mint to the pot and finishing with a squirt of lemon.

Just added a squirt of lemon, dash of oregano . Found some frozen Artichoke hearts in the freezer and tossed them in ( Not sure if they're Greek or not, but definitely Mediterranean ).

As Kathleen's Greek friends would say "serve it with fries".:ROFLMAO:

The soup may very well be authentic as is... not every authentic dish has the "Greek" flavor profile that is our idea of Greek food.

The soup may very well be authentic as is... not every authentic dish has the "Greek" flavor profile that is our idea of Greek food.

Exactly. The reviews kept saying" tastes the way my Grandmother made it ..." , but not having a Greek grandmother, I'm just trying to make it taste " Greek to me " :yum:

Add some thyme as well. Typically, the herbs and spices in Greek cuisine include: Greek Oregano, thyme, mint, garlic, black pepper, cinnamon, and rosemary. Lemon. A bit of crumbled feta cheese on top with some mint, thyme, and lemon zest.

I would definitely add some stoned olives and maybe some sundried tomatoes if you happen to have some. Garnish with a swirl of yoghurt and fresh chopped mint perhaps?

Add cucumber. Greeks put cucumber in everything! You could also garnish it with crumbled feta cheese just before serving.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom