What's for dinner? Sunday 6-14-15

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cheryl J

Chef Extraordinaire
I'm just going to nibble on some cold leftover roast beef and potato salad from the party yesterday. Too hot to cook anything. :ermm:

What's everyone having today?:chef:

Simmered broth with beef tendon for the last 7 hours with the intention of making Pho. The broth ended up very greasy so I decided to leave it cool overnight, then degrease , and do the Pho tomorrow....There was a pack of smoked pork chops in the refrigerator so I boiled, then fried up some pierogie and went with that
ZJOShss.jpg

I'm getting ready to start dinner. I'm going to make Fettuccine Alfredo. I think I'll sauté some mushrooms and crumble in some bacon (not authentic, I know) for a change of pace. While the water is boiling for the pasta, I'll make a salad so I can say I had a balanced meal.

Dessert, served later, will be chocolate cake with a chocolate ganache and vanilla ice cream.

A Fresh Meal, Not From A Box

I went to Costco yesterday, so as I was vacuum-sealing portions of New York Strip steaks, I decided that I would make a meal similar to one of those expensive "chef in a box" deals. You know them, there are several different companies out there on the Internet offering 3 meals for two people that is delivered by mail to you. They contain all of the fresh ingredients, a recipe card and you make up the meal yourself. HMMM, have folks forgotten what a market is? Anyways, the price of each meal is between $10-11USD per person and the advertisement that I received today was for what? A STEAK DINNER!
:ohmy:
SOOOO....
Long story short,
I will grill a fresh New York Strip steak with fresh Zucchini, fresh Mushrooms, fresh Sweet Peppers, fresh Sweet Onion and a fresh Tomato Salad, then...
for dessert I made J-E-L-L-O with some fresh whipped cream on top.

UMM, and I only spent about $6USD
:rolleyes:
:LOL:

I haven't bought bacon in what seems a really long time. Tonight I made a BLT and slipped a few thin sliced radish and cucumber slices in with the sandwich. Ice tea.

Smoked pork chops are one of our favorite too, Rock! Grill 'em, broil, pan-fry - all yum. I especially like searing them in a hot CI skillet, then toss in a couple pounds of fresh green beans, add a bit of water, and cover. Those are some of the best-tasting bean ever! The two of us usually split a chop and eat most of the beans! Then the extra chop or two comes in handy further along the week.

I repurposed the leftover grilled chicken into sandwiches. Piled chicken, bacon, and Havarti cheese into brioche rolls, and made the cheese all melty. :yum: Sides were freezer-rescued mac-and-cheese, and dill pickle (for color).

We took my sister to one of our favourite restos. I guess we shouldn't have said, "We have liked everything we ever tried there." The food was fairly tasty, but last night just about every single item was mildly sub optimal. The deep fried scallops were over cooked. The taramosalata was pink, but tasted like potato with only the tiniest hint of roe flavour. The dolmas weren't as good as usual. The fried fish was a bit soft. The vegis were watery or flavourless. We didn't bother with dessert. I guess they knew they were having an off day because this is the first time they haven't asked us how the meal was.

Usually, the main/good cooks have Sunday's and Monday's off because they are typically the slower evenings in restaurants... you may have gotten the less experienced kitchen staff....
That seems likely, even though we have had the great food a Sundays before.

Blackened some Mahi Mahi from Costco (Kirkland frozen filets - very good) did some grilled avocado with fruit salsa, and a bed of fetuccine alfredo (home made)

That seems likely, even though we have had the great food a Sundays before.
Yeah. Restaurants can be funny things. Employees come and go. Kitchens are only as good as the weakest link, I always say. Even if you have some weak employees, at some point you have to let them work alone. You can't be there 24/7. Over the years I have dreaded days off in some kitchens because I would always come back to horror stories and complaints. But, I wasn't going to kill myself working 7 days a week. It's hit and miss in many establishments..even the good ones...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom