Let's Make Popsicles!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Janet H

Certifiable Executive Chef
Staff member
Summer is here - time for homemade popsicles..

Last weekend I went to a b-day bash held outdoors. I was responsible for dessert and instead of the traditional cake, opted to make an assortment of popsicles and also some chocolate chip cookies - a nice change.

I have a few left (rejects for cause - crooked sticks, smudges, etc) and thought you might be interested. These were super easy to make and the flavor combos are endless. Most use coconut milk for the base as it freezes with fewer ice crystals and added plain greek yogurt gives a nice acid note to counter balance sweet. I've found that this improves popsicles that are often sort of one note wonders. Building layers of flavor is fairly easy this way.

Berry and cardamom smash up: Coconut milk, ground cardamom infused into warmed coconut milk, a little honey, black berries mashed in to the mix

Strawberry buzz: Fresh strawberries, orange flower water, sugar to taste and lemon juice. Whirl it up and freeze

Coconut cream, chocolate confusion - a deconstructed mounds bar:
Mix 1: Coconut cream, coconut milk, plain yogurt, vanilla
Mix 2: Coconut milk, cocoa powder, pancake syrup (yes, the cheap stuff), vanilla, plain yogurt

Coffee - left over strong coffee, plain yogurt, condensed milk, vanilla, instant coffee dissolved to increase coffee flavor

Lime juice, pomegranate - not shown as they were the hands down favorite. Fresh lime juice, sugar, a little molasses, pomegranate seeds (not too many)

Do you make popsicles? What are your favorite flavor combos?

pop_1.jpg

pop_2.jpg

Last edited:
They sound delicious Janet and a very creative challenge for an outdoor party. How did you manage to keep them frozen?

I especially like the sound of the coffee ones....:yum:

I got a chunk of dry ice and wrapped it in newspaper - then into a cooler. The popsicles were in a air tight plastic container sitting directly on the ice. They came out of the cooler actually harder than from my freezer (which is a sad commentary on my freezer).

I got a chunk of dry ice and wrapped it in newspaper - then into a cooler. The popsicles were in a air tight plastic container sitting directly on the ice. They came out of the cooler actually harder than from my freezer (which is a sad commentary on my freezer).
No, it's not a commentary on your freezer. Dry ice freezes at -109°F (-78°C)!

Memories revived. I used to make popsicles with Kool Aid and in the Tupperware popsicle makers. Thanks. A kid's favorite in the summertime. My kids loved the lemonade ones. :angel:

Yep, that's what we had when we were kids. Kool Aid popsicles. When Jr came along we made Juice popsicles for him and his little friends. I kind of like the looks of these new fangled ones :yum:

Yep, KoolAid popsicles here as a kid too, and with my own kids! I love your ideas of the amped up versions, Janet. I'll have to try making some this summer.

Where do you get your molds?

Yep, KoolAid popsicles here as a kid too, and with my own kids! I love your ideas of the amped up versions, Janet. I'll have to try making some this summer.

Where do you get your molds?

I would like the recipe for the chocolate one. I lived on fudgesicles when I was pregnant with baby #1 and #2. :angel:

I used this mold: Amazon.com: Prepworks from Progressive International PLP-1 Freezer Pop Maker: Popsicle Molds: Kitchen & Dining

I bet you can find this at walmart or similar for less $$ I've had this mold for twenty years now ...

An interesting tip: Wait until the pops are half frozen to place the sticks in - other wise they float and will be crooked.

I would like the recipe for the chocolate one. I lived on fudgesicles when I was pregnant with baby #1 and #2. :angel:

I don't really have a recipe but that mold takes 3 1/4 cups to fill.

To make solid chocolate pops use a can of coconut milk, about a cup of plain greek yogurt, cocoa powder, some vanilla and some sweetener. I use pancake syrup because the brown sugar flavor enhances the chocolate.

Heat up about 1/3 C of the coconut milk and add about 1/4 C of cocoa powder. Whisk it together until there are no lumps. You can use more cocoa if you like is really dark. The hot milk intensifies the cocoa flavor.

Then mix all the other ingredients into that paste and whisk until there are no lumps.

Freeze.

Thanks for the info, Janet. It occurred to me a little while ago that I might be able to find something similar at our local Joann's, too.

Those look good, Janet. I'd probably add some Hershey syrup to the coffee one, if I made it. I love making extra coffee in the summer, pouring it into an old glass milk bottle, and adding enough syrup to taste. Pop that baby into the fridge, my own Coffee Coolatta is ready to go. Right before I head out the door I pop a couple ice cubes into the travel mug, add some of the coffee mix, then top off with milk and/or half-and-half. Who needs $tarbuck$ or DD when you plan ahead? ;)

When our kids were small, I used to toss chunks of watermelon or cantaloupe into the blender, whiz till smooth, and pour into Dixie bathroom cups. Although it might have been better to have a straight stick, I'd just put them in right away, sort of on an angle. The kids loved those so much I should make some just for me now. Just for the walk down memory lane...

These look amazing. Someone posted something on my facebook a few days ago about wine popsicles. I think fancy popsicles are going to be in my future.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom