Beer Can Chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Essie

Senior Cook
My DH made a beer can chicken last week. It was jucy on the inside with a nicely crisped skin. Next time, we're doing something with wine and herbs instead of beer. If you haven't tried this, please do so. :rolleyes:

Did your DH cook it on the grill or in the oven?

Ive had it when its cooked on the grill and it was sooo good.
I tried to make it in the oven and I dont think it was as good as the grilled chicken.:)

Essie said:
My DH made a beer can chicken last week. It was jucy on the inside with a nicely crisped skin. Next time, we're doing something with wine and herbs instead of beer. If you haven't tried this, please do so. :rolleyes:

I've heard of this many times, but have never tried it. Can you tell me how it's done? :)

Here's how we do it Dancer.

Begin with about a 4-pound whole chicken. Wash and dry it. Open a can of beer. Warm beer is okay. Don't waste a cold one. Plain old average lawn mowing beer is fine. Save the good stuff to drink.

Pour off or drink about one third of the beer. Put as many openings in the top as you can with a traditional "church key" opener.

We make a rub of 1 tablespoon seasoned salt, 1 tablespoon garlic powder, and 1 tablespoon salt and freshly ground black pepper. Lighter on the black pepper than the salt. Mix this up very well. Rub the chicken all over very well with the rub. Think of it as suntan oil.

Pour what remains of the rub into the can of beer. It will foam up a bit, so do it over the sink.

Now, insert the can in the chicken's cavity. Our children lovingly referred to cooking chicken this way as "beer butt chicken." Potty talk was always popular when they were young.

Place the chicken on a disposable 8-inch-square aluminum pan and then put it on your grill, which is moderately hot. The chicken will be like a tripod. The two legs and the can being the three points of the tripod. The pan will collect the juices that will inevitably come out of the chicken and will prevent flare-ups on the grill.

Cover with the grill lid and cook about an hour and a half. No need to baste. Check with an instant-read thermometer to be sure it reaches the correct temperature, 170 degrees. I would take it off the grill at about 160 to 165, cover with foil and let continue cooking. It will continue to cook after it comes off the grill.

Be careful removing the chicken and the pan. Everything will be very, very hot. Serve with the juice, if you wish. Use tongs or heavy towels to extricate the chicken from the can. Toss the can and what's inside in the trash. It's not good to use for anything.

Our chicken always comes out with the most wonderful bronze skin and tender, juicy meat. Even the white meat.

When we don't want to cook it using the outdoor grill, we cook it in the oven.

Another thing we like to do is to use a clean beer or soda can and fill it with white wine and tarragon, rub the chicken with olive oil and stuff finely minced garlic and tarragon under the skin and cook using the same method. Grill or oven.

Really, really tasty.

mmm, beer can chicken :)
I like Dr P, too, better than beer (for the chicken that is, but it is my pop of choice). I started adding a little worcestershire (sp?) sauce to the rub and making it into a paste.... very good. You can get stands at Walmart and they have directions on them, but I don't add water to the pie tin. I think the skin comes out crispier without.

I've done it both ways grill and oven -can really tell no difference, both yummyto me! I've used beer, sprite, etc. all good !

I guess any liquid would work...it's the moisture getting up inside the chicken that makes it so moist and tender.
I just sorta have a loyalty to beer.

Constance said:
I guess any liquid would work...it's the moisture getting up inside the chicken that makes it so moist and tender.
I just sorta have a loyalty to beer.

Yeah, "pop can chicken" just doesn't have the same ring ot it :LOL:

Thanks for the detailed description Katie E. I'll definitely give it a try. I will be sure not to waste the beer too. :) If I do this in the oven, is the cooking time the same? And what would the temp be? I have a thermometer on my grill, so I can get an idea.

I have even done this with cornish game hens.... using a Red Bull can with beer or what have you. It was awesome!

Dancer, thanks SO much for asking this question!
A dear friend in Atlanta ( :cool: ) sent me the holder for the chicken at Christmas and I had never considered using any liquid other than beer.:wacko:

The mind boggles...Margarita Chicken, Campari Soda Chicken, Sake Chicken etc etc etc.
:LOL:

lolol...maybe not, but I am going to try coconut milk with some Thai flavours and see what happens. Indeedy!!

Dancer, when I do mine in the oven, I preheat my oven to 400', then put my chicken in a pan and place on lower rack in the oven. Cook for 1/2 hour, then turn down heat to 350' and cook another 1 1/2 hrs. Yum

Lynan said:
Dancer, thanks SO much for asking this question!
A dear friend in Atlanta ( :cool: ) sent me the holder for the chicken at Christmas and I had never considered using any liquid other than beer.:wacko:

The mind boggles...Margarita Chicken, Campari Soda Chicken, Sake Chicken etc etc etc.
:LOL:

lolol...maybe not, but I am going to try coconut milk with some Thai flavours and see what happens. Indeedy!!

That present was for your Husband, not you!!! :ermm: :LOL:

Hi, again, Dancer. When I cook my chicken in the oven I usually cook it at about 375 degrees for about 1 1/2 hours or until it tests done.

Another yummy way to prepare "can" chicken is to use peach nectar and a cinnamon stick. Then rub the chicken with some olive oil and make a mixture of brown sugar, paprika, salt, freshly ground black pepper, garlic powder, ground cinnamon, and cardamom. Sprinkle about 1 tablespoon of this mixture over the bird and put the rest into the can with the nectar and cinnamon stick. Cook as I described before.

There are many, many other ways to cook chicken on a can. Just let your imagination be your guide.

Oh my, this sounds wonderful ~

Another yummy way to prepare "can" chicken is to use peach nectar and a cinnamon stick. Then rub the chicken with some olive oil and make a mixture of brown sugar, paprika, salt, freshly ground black pepper, garlic powder, ground cinnamon, and cardamom. Sprinkle about 1 tablespoon of this mixture over the bird and put the rest into the can with the nectar and cinnamon stick. Cook as I described before.

Half Baked said:
That present was for your Husband, not you!!! :ermm: :LOL:

Husband, Musband...this is a man who puts orange marmalade on cheese and onion scones, uses 2 cups of flour to thicken a wee sausage curry, empties cans of fruit salad into his meatloaf mix!! lolol;)

There are some great ideas here and I shall be experimenting for sure. Pity our summer has screeched to a halt but a kitchen oven awaits and the BBQ grill will keep.

And my apologies to Essie..she was the original poster so thanks Essie!

Katie E said:
Another yummy way to prepare "can" chicken is to use peach nectar and a cinnamon stick. Then rub the chicken with some olive oil and make a mixture of brown sugar, paprika, salt, freshly ground black pepper, garlic powder, ground cinnamon, and cardamom.

I've heard of cardamom, but don't know what it is. :huh: Rookie afoot!

Back
Top Bottom