Is water the best fruit and veggie wash out there?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking Goddess

Chef Extraordinaire
Because my "Search" skills stink, I apologize if this thread duplicates one I did not find.

When I stand and iron, I like to distract myself with TV or "radio". Last night I was watching a Canadian show on ION TV: "Anna and Kristina's Grocery Bag". They tested four ways of washing pesticide off of a bell pepper. After spraying the peppers with pesticide and letting it dry, they washed one pepper in each of four solutions. Two were commercially available formulas, one was homemade vinegar-water solution, and one was plain old tap water.

According to their evaluation, water is best. Surprised me!

If you want to see the link to their show summary, you can find it here. The one comment does raise some questions; no matter what the starting point of the pesticide was, it appears that water gets you to the lowest (cleanest) number.

The comment on that article is worth reading. Pesticides degrade pretty rapidly and rain washes them off. And people are not pests - in this context, at least ;) So pesticides that interfere with insect metabolism, for instance, have no effect on humans.

Back
Top Bottom