Cooking smoked haddock - food poisoning awareness

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kerry532

Assistant Cook
I cooked some smoked haddock, in the bag, in the oven tonight.

The instructions stated 22 minutes at 150 degrees fan, 180 conventional oven. I accidentally put it in a conventional oven at 150 degrees, for around 25-30 minutes.

I left the majority but had a few bites before I realised it may be undercooked.

Would this have been safe to eat, or am I likely to get an upset stomach with what I had?

Welcome to DC! Smoked fish is usually "ready to eat". So I think you're good to go.;)

If the internal temperature reached 150F for more than 5 minutes then your completely safe. But since you did not post the internal temp no one can answer if it was safe or not.

Since you've already eaten it, I guess it's a moot point. ;)

The effects from undercooked food are completely unpredictable. What may be fine at one meal could turn around and bite you at the next.

Just to note that food poisoning is likely going to give you way more than an upset stomach. It can kill you or put you on dialysis for the rest of your life.

If it was smoked how was it "underdone?"

Just to note that food poisoning is likely going to give you way more than an upset stomach. It can kill you or put you on dialysis for the rest of your life.

If it was smoked how was it "underdone?"

Exactly! I have never heard of smoked fish that wasn't fully cooked.

In Canada, we can only buy cold smoked haddock. I have added it to cooked dishes. The difference between hot (wet) smoking is the curing time. Cold smoked are salty whereas hot smoked is moister and could pose a problem if not stored properly.

I have always had a problem with smoked Haddock. Every time I buy it, it never gets home in one piece. In fact sometimes by the time I reach my door, there is none left. I keep picking at it until there is none left. I don't even want to cook any of it for my kids. Finnan Haddie. Yum! Hard to come by now in these parts. :angel:

I have the same problem with pickled her ring (could explain the fork in the glove box), pickled salmon, and squeaky fresh cheese curds.

I am in seventh heaven. Today there opened The Boston Public Market. It is a year round farmers market. And one of the stall makes fresh smoked fish. Including Finnan Haddie! I am ecstatic! It is very seldom seen in this part of the world. Known to the rest of world as smoked Haddock. Right now it is a crazy place. The place just opened today and it is a crazy place to be. I will wait until it calms down. Right now there are 30 stalls and all the stalls have products that are grown here in Mass. or throughout New England. :angel:

I have the same problem with pickled her ring (could explain the fork in the glove box), pickled salmon, and squeaky fresh cheese curds.

Oh, I'd get it home, but it wouldn't last the day/evening. You can imagine the looks I got in Elementary School when I opened my Wolfman lunch box and pulled out pickled onions (the ones you could buy in gallon jars from Maryland), pickled herring and leftover steamed shrimp. My grandmother would put a Tupperware container with ice cubes to keep things cool. Wasn't an everyday thing, but when I had it, the other kids were grossed out.:ohmy:

Back
Top Bottom