Mom's Beefy Sauerkraut Hotdish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dawgluver

Chef Extraordinaire
I like this. As requested:

Brown about a half pound ground beef. I add some sliced onions. Drain. Add a can of undrained sauerkraut and a cup of either cooked rice or a half cup of uncooked Minute rice. I usually use regular Frank's sauerkraut, but all I had this time was Bavarian, it was fine. Dump in a can of Campbell's Tomato soup, either regular or Heathy Request. Add s&p to taste. Cook until rice is done.

Last edited:
I can't stop eating this. Hope you like it, Taxy!

Had never heard of golabki, so my friend the Google explained it. Sounds delicious!

DC provides a wonderful education!

Dawg, this sounds good.

My only question is do you think I could sub in crushed tomatoes for the tomato soup? I am supposed to cut out all processed foods.

I will use my MIL's homemade sauerkraut as I have it, it is "natural" and it is delicious.

LP, I don't see why not.

I think I might puree the tomatoes with a boat motor before adding them. The kraut and ground beef give it a nice texture. Wild rice might also be good in it.

Last edited:
The tomatoes are actually already "pureed with a boat motor"! :LOL:

My SIL, niece and nephew-in-law can over 100 pounds of tomatoes every year into various products and one is "crushed tomatoes". they cook them, puree and then put them through a sieve to remove the seeds. The only additives are a bit of salt and pepper.

I am going to try this recipe as soon as I am up to cooking again. :)

Whoa, 100 pounds of tomatoes! I'm lucky if I get 5 pounds!

They live in a very rural area and while they grow a lot of their own, there are farms that actually have "pick your own" tomatoes along with berries, corn and potatoes. My niece is a paramedic and her hubby is a butcher and heads up the search and rescue. They both volunteer with S&R and living in a very mountainous area get a lot of call-outs. So, many of the farms let them pick for free as a thank you from the community.

My Sister in law lives fairly close and visits for a month or so just helping them can. We all benefit come Christmas and birthdays! It is great!

Oh, what a great deal! Relatives with benefits!

I'll have to post a recipe that I got from the Recipes of North Dakota website for tomato soup. It was outrageously good, and disgustingly simple.

This sounds like my stuffed cabbage without the cabbage. I use beef and pork, rice, kraut and tomato juice (has to be Sacramento brand). This sounds like a quick easy variation. Thanks

This sounds like my stuffed cabbage without the cabbage. I use beef and pork, rice, kraut and tomato juice (has to be Sacramento brand). This sounds like a quick easy variation. Thanks

Thanks, MsM! Yes, sort of a deconstructed cabbage roll. You might need to add a half can of water if it's too thick.

Thanks, MsM! Yes, sort of a deconstructed cabbage roll. You might need to add a half can of water if it's too thick.

That's why I use tomato juice instead of tomato sauce it is just loose enough. Maybe you should loosen it up with juice so you don't take away from the nice tomato flavor.

Not a bad idea, MsM! I'll try some low-sodium V-8 instead of water next time. The current batch isn't going to last long...

I made this for dinner tonight. Easier than making cabbage rolls and just as tasty. I had a small size can Frank's kraut on hand. I like this size since it's more easily used up than a whole 2 lb package. Ok flavor.

I used a good size cup Prego spaghetti sauce, because that's what I had, + kraut juice + 1 C water. I used regular Uncooked rice, so it needed extra water and baked it in a covered casserole until the rice was done about a half hour, then baked uncovered a little longer. I made a whole lb burger, put half in the casserole and half to the freezer. To the sauce I added garlic powder, and about a tsp each dry marjoram and thyme. A spoonful of red wine vinegar and another spoonful brown sugar. There. (dusts hands), didn't want it to resemble Spaghetti flavor. It didn't, should have used more than a heaping cup of jarred sauce.

Worthy of making again and just the right amount of leftovers.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom