Dinner.....August 2, 2015

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cheryl J

Chef Extraordinaire
Kind of late, but I didn't see a thread yet. :)

What was on everyone's plate for this evening? It's only 5:30 here, I haven't had dinner yet - thinking about making an omelet and frying up a couple of pieces of bacon. :yum:

As usual, I cook for an army, even though only two of us live here.

We're finishing up the kraut casserole, and a buddy gave us some herb dip blends from his company that I mixed with Greek yogurt. Nice with crackers.

Guacamole stuffed mushrooms with brie cheese & buffalo hot sauce...

img_1430980_0_7360ba2645d329d3b68c1122a9f29c9a.jpg

Big day at the house today. My back yard was on a garden tour, and being the last stop, there was a pot luck. Filled up on a lot of delicious food, but just kicked back with the last of a heavy on the meat pizza slice from the freezer. This was a day off from the diet. Also had a brownie and a few peanut butter and chocolate chip cookies.:)

I tried a recipe for buffalo chicken drumsticks. Used the whole legs, cut up, since the corner grocer had them for 48 cents a pound! The sauce was good, but I just haven't learned to like dark meat. Good thing I had a chicken breast with Spice House Florida Seasoned Pepper grilled too - so good! :yum:

The go-withs were: grilled corn from my put-bys in the freezer, Bush's baked beans, a relish tray, and twice-baked potatoes. When I mashed and seasoned the potato guts I added fried bacon bits, green onion sauteed in the bacon drippings, and several generous shakes of Penzeys Brady Street Cheese Sprinkles. Got a jar for free last time we were at Penzeys. Good enough, but way too pricey to make it anything I would actually buy.

Earlier we had a small get together as a sendoff to neighbors who are moving out of town. The eight of us shared some beverages and appys so I wasn't too hungry. So I just had a bowl of potato salad.

I tried a recipe for buffalo chicken drumsticks. Used the whole legs, cut up, since the corner grocer had them for 48 cents a pound! The sauce was good, but I just haven't learned to like dark meat. Good thing I had a chicken breast with Spice House Florida Seasoned Pepper grilled too - so good! :yum:

The go-withs were: grilled corn from my put-bys in the freezer, Bush's baked beans, a relish tray, and twice-baked potatoes. When I mashed and seasoned the potato guts I added fried bacon bits, green onion sauteed in the bacon drippings, and several generous shakes of Penzeys Brady Street Cheese Sprinkles. Got a jar for free last time we were at Penzeys. Good enough, but way too pricey to make it anything I would actually buy.

I hear you, CG. Much as I try, I can't like dark meat, chicken or turkey.

Tonight was a favorite "go to" dinner we love.

Trader Joe's frozen Mandarin Chicken with additions, served over steamed Jasmine rice. I always add some orange juice to the wonderful sauce, and tonight I added slivers of colored bell peppers to the chicken.
The plates were topped with assorted nuts from the freezer..sliced almonds, seasoned cashews and honey roasted pecans.

Trader Joe's frozen Mandarin Chicken with additions, served over steamed Jasmine rice. I always add some orange juice to the wonderful sauce, and tonight I added slivers of colored bell peppers to the chicken.
The plates were topped with assorted nuts from the freezer..sliced almonds, seasoned cashews and honey roasted pecans.

Dagnabit. I'll have this on my TJ list when we visit DH's brother 3.5 hours away, the nearest Trader Joe's.

Oh, I love this. It's on my list every time I go to TJ's. :) Sounds good with the extra OJ and nuts addition, Kay.

Dagnabit. I'll have this on my TJ list when we visit DH's brother 3.5 hours away, the nearest Trader Joe's.
It's a great thing to have on hand for the freezer. I'm not close to a TJ's either, and usually buy a couple of bags when I'm there. It's one of my fave TJ's frozen food items. :)

Attachments

• trader_joes_mandarin_orange_chicken.jpg
    trader_joes_mandarin_orange_chicken.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:

Oh, that sounds good. :yum:

Which part, Cheryl? :LOL: The recipe for the buffalo chicken is here: Buffalo Chicken Drumsticks. The description and price points for the Brady Street Cheese Sprinkles is here: Penzeys. The cheese sprinkles are oh...kay. I got a 1/2 cup jar free the last time I shopped their store. There is no way I would spend $9.95 for it! IMO, it's worth a couple-o-three bucks, max.

hamburgers on grill and roasted corn

apple sauce

boring nite. So hot here...no one really wanted to cook or eat
:wacko:

We went to Mckibbins Irish Pub for date night. I had very tasty shepherd's pie and Stirling had bangers and mash with onion rings. He said that was very good too. I've had it there and it was.

I made a low carb version of Dawg's kraut casserole. I swapped out the rice, added some additional vegetables and used tomato paste instead of tomato soup. This stuff has an addictive flavor, I kept going back for one more spoonful as I was cleaning up the kitchen after dinner! :pig:

I am going to freeze some of the leftovers to use as the base for a soup made with some chicken stock I've got stashed in the freezer.

Next time I want to try it using sausage seasoned with fennel seed instead of ground beef.

Good stuff, thanks Dawg!

I made a low carb version of Dawg's kraut casserole. I swapped out the rice, added some additional vegetables and used tomato paste instead of tomato soup. This stuff has an addictive flavor, I kept going back for one more spoonful as I was cleaning up the kitchen after dinner! :pig:

I am going to freeze some of the leftovers to use as the base for a soup made with some chicken stock I've got stashed in the freezer.

Next time I want to try it using sausage seasoned with fennel seed instead of ground beef.

Good stuff, thanks Dawg!

So glad you enjoyed it, Aunt Bea! Yes, it is addictive.

Back
Top Bottom