My favorite healthy breakfast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ardchoille

Senior Cook
One of the things that contributed to my losing 140 pounds is healthy food and I begin each day with a healthy breakfast.

1/4 cup rolled oats in 1/2 cup water cooked per the label directions
2 slices lightly toasted whole wheat bread
16 ounce glass water

Once I began focusing on nutrition, rather than taste, I found I lost weight much faster. I have been eating this type of breakfast for years now and I quite enjoy it while reading and catching up on email and forum posts.

I like oats a lot too but prefer the organic pinhead kind (having the whole grain) and make it into a porridge adding oatgerm (can't get the organic version). When done/thickened, I often add organic dessicated coconut and sunflower seeds.

Here's my favorite healthy breakfast.

Bacon. 4-6 pieces

2 over easy eggs fried in above bacon fat.

Buttered toast or English muffin.

Tall glass of cold whole milk.

Do I eat it every day?

No.

But it is my favorite. :yum:

And it is healthy. ;)

Usually breakfast for me is Coffee and a small sandwich of whatever I've made for lunch eaten as I head down the driveway.

Nutrition is good but taste plays a part. As in if it doesn't agree with the taste buds it won't be eaten.

I was a 1 meal a day person for years but as I've aged I find that a little something in the stomach keeps me from being such a grumpy old coot. :D

Yeah, I know it hasn't helped but go on and let us old farts deceive ourselves. :LOL:

Last edited:
Lately I've been having vanilla Greek yogurt topped with trail mix and local honey with a Mandarin orange on the side. I find that having both carbs and protein with a meal keeps me satisfied longer. And it's tasty. Almost like having dessert for breakfast ☺

I've been having yogurt for breakfast too, GG. I started buying plain Greek yogurt by the quart when I was going through the 5.3 oz. containers too quickly. (Also, why is a 5.3 oz cup considered a "serving" but scooped from a quart a serving size is 8 oz :huh: ) Today's version included a handful of cut-up fresh cherries; no sweetener like honey or such because the cherries were sweet enough. Should have added sliced almonds, but I was lazy. No toast, because I tend to feel full quickly, so I wait until I start feeling hungry again and then have toast with my second cup of tea or first cup of coffee.

Once the weather is cool every day, I'll go back to my usual from-scratch oatmeal with dried fruits and/or nuts.

My healthy breakfast this morning was Andouille sawmill gravy over biscuits.:yum: Tomorrow, I'll probably have leftover sauerbraten, potato dumpling and rotkohl, breakfast of champions!;)

Food is not meant to taste good, it is fuel for the body.. nothing more nothing less. When taste enters the picture we begin to enjoy food, and when we begin to enjoy food we begin to eat for reasons other than hunger.. and this leads to health problems later in life.

Just my opinion.. yours may vary.

Last edited:
Food is not meant to taste good, it is fuel for the body.. nothing more nothing less. When taste enters the picture we begin to enjoy food, and when we begin to enjoy food we begin to eat for reasons other than hunger.. and this leads to health problems later in life.

Heh. Most of us here eat for pleasure as well as for fueling the body. That's why we enjoy Discussing Cooking so much ;) It's possible to have healthy, nutritious food that tastes good.

Food is not meant to taste good, it is fuel for the body nothing more nothing less. When Telestar stander the picture right begin to enjoy for, and when we begin to enjoy third we begin to eat for reasons other than hungry. I know most people are going to agree with this. But sometimes the truth hurts

Seriously? Then what the heck are you doing on a forum where folks discuss great tasting food? I didn't change my diet to lose weight, just started eating less. I can walk 5 miles with out breathing heavily and then swim a mile. You seem to have an agenda that has nothing to do with what DC is all about. You think most people will agree with you?:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Get real dude!:mad:

Eating for pleasure was how I ended up weighing 275 pounds. When I began eating for fuel, rather than for pleasure, I started losing weight. But I'm one of those who wasn't happy being obese and wasting my time on the couch in front of the TV.

Eating for pleasure was how I ended up weighing 275 pounds. When I began eating for fuel, rather than for pleasure, I started losing weight. But I'm one of those who wasn't happy being obese and wasting my time on the couch in front of the TV.

That is your issue not ours! I don't eat food that doesn't taste good. I certainly don't need anyone trying to convince me that my choice in food and the reason I eat is wrong.

Last edited:
Food is not meant to taste good, it is fuel for the body.. nothing more nothing less. When taste enters the picture we begin to enjoy food, and when we begin to enjoy food we begin to eat for reasons other than hunger...
Wow, I feel so sorry for you. My opinion is that someone eats for "other reasons", not because the food is tasty, but because there are other factors causing them to overeat. You can get fat on bags of nasty doritos just as easily as you can lose weight eating a well-prepared, tasty dinner consumed in reasonable portions.

Eating for pleasure was how I ended up weighing 275 pounds...
Was that really what caused the weight, or could you really have been eating pleasurable foods for a different reason? When we were exiled from OH to MA, I started to "depression eat". Gained 40+ pounds. Once I got my mojo back, I started cooking tasty foods that give me pleasure again. With no more effort than enjoying my food more but in smaller portions, I'm halfway back to my goal of my OH weight. Now if only it was as easy to get the house market-ready and get us moved back home. :wacko:

1/4 cup rolled oats in 1/2 cup water cooked per the label directions
2 slices lightly toasted whole wheat bread
16 ounce glass water
Different foods are healthy for different reasons. Being diabetic, yours would not be my idea of a healthy breakfast. Wheat and oats cause my blood glucose levels to go through the roof.

I have to eat things like eggs, bacon, and non starchy vegetables for breakfast to keep my blood sugar under control. Eating a good portion of fat in my diet helps satisfy my hunger and keeps me off medication. Eggs are also one of the healthiest foods on the planet.

Contrary to popular belief, eating fat does not make you fat, nor does it clog your arteries, as was previously thought. My cholesterol and triglyceride levels are the best they've ever been, and I eat these types of foods every single morning.

I was also once severely overweight at 272 pounds. After 10 months of lowering my carb intake and cutting calories, I'm now just under 190 and still losing. Even better, my diabetes is also reversed and completely under control.

So there are different ways to eat, lose weight, and be healthy. It doesn't all have to be about depriving yourself.

Last edited:
Whilst I understand this and it is clear that now you are highly disciplined, do you not trust yourself to be able enjoy some favourite food now and then, i.e. moderation say, one day a week - a Saturday?

It seems such a shame to deprive yourself totally of the pleasure of eating food you enjoy. Your acquired discipline would surely be able to keep you on the straight and narrow? Your regime is surely hard wired into you sufficiently to withstand the odd treat?

Last edited:
That is your issue not ours! I don't eat food that doesn't taste good. I certainly don't need anyone trying to convince me that my choice in food and the reason I eat is wrong.

If it doesn't taste good to me, then I am not going to eat it. To buy that food and then leave it sitting there is a waste of good food and my money.

But I do eat food that tastes good and I have the good sense to know what is enough and when I feel satisfied. To go beyond that is mostly lack of self control for most of us.

Beyond hunger, emotions are a major part of overeating. We eat beyond what tells us is good sense because we are sad, happy, celebrating, etc. If we were devoid of these emotions and reasons for eating other than meal time, then we would be lacking in human feelings. I certainly wouldn't want to be that person. I think I would rather be overweight, as unpleasant as it may be. :angel:

Evidently, the local sweet, juicy, fresh picked peaches, cantaloupe, and plums I've been enjoying lately don't know that. ;) :yum: :rolleyes:

If food didn't taste good, I wouldn't bother eating! I haven't had a weight problem since I was a teen and could go through 3 bowls of cereal, or 4 plates of spaghetti. Thankfully, I don't do that anymore.

My breakfast is a glass of skim milk, followed by a glass of low sodium V8.

Last edited:

I'll have to disagree with you here.

Taste plays a major part in what food we consume.
If it tastes like poop then I won't eat it and I'll receive no nutritional value at all.

Enjoyment of food is life in an of itself. Breaking bread with someone causes bonds and if you serve them something the taste buds reject no bond can be created. (I'm not talking about cultural foodstuffs like eyeballs and such).

If tasty nutrition causes you or anyone to consume more then is necessary then that's on you. I'm not my brothers keeper.

Good. You found your way.

But how much of your difficulty was caused by "wasting my time on the couch in front of the TV"?

Different foods are healthy for different reasons. Being diabetic, yours would not be my idea of a healthy breakfast. Wheat and oats cause my blood glucose levels to go through the roof.

I have to eat things like eggs, bacon, and non starchy vegetables for breakfast to keep my blood sugar under control. Eating a good portion of fat in my diet helps satisfy my hunger and keeps me off medication. Eggs are also one of the healthiest foods on the planet.

Contrary to popular belief, eating fat does not make you fat, nor does it clog your arteries, as was previously thought. My cholesterol and triglyceride levels are the best they've ever been, and I eat these types of foods every single morning.

I was also once severely overweight at 272 pounds. After 10 months of lowering my carb intake and cutting calories, I'm now just under 190 and still losing. Even better, my diabetes is also reversed and completely under control.

So there are different ways to eat, lose weight, and be healthy. It doesn't all have to be about depriving yourself.

Well said.

I guess IMHO it boils down to what my Parents and Grandparents told me.

"All things in moderation." :chef:

Seriously? Then what the heck are you doing on a forum where folks discuss great tasting food? I didn't change my diet to lose weight, just started eating less. I can walk 5 miles with out breathing heavily and then swim a mile. You seem to have an agenda that has nothing to do with what DC is all about. You think most people will agree with you?:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Get real dude!:mad:

+1!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom