Latest Experiment, Beef Shephard's Pie-Loaf

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
Yep, I'm experimenting again while DW is still layed up in the hospital. This experiment was to make a meat loaf that was like Shepard's Pie in flavor, but was made like a pate, or terrine. It came out pretty good, but needs tweeking.

Ingredients:
1 lb. 70/30 ground beef
2 carrots, small dice
1 medium sized russet potato, grated
2 tsp. minced garlic
1/4 cup finely diced onion
1/4 cup baby frozen peas
1 large egg
1/4 cup Panko bread bread crumbs
1 tsp. salt
1 tbs. ground, black pepper
1 tsp. ground sage
1/2 cup milk

Preheat oven to 350' F.
Combine all ingredients in a large bowl until thoroughly mixed. Grease a bread loaf pan. Place the forcemeat into the pan, taking care to press into the corners and eliminate air pockets.

Lightly salt the top and place into the oven. Bake for about 45 minutes. Check the center of the loaf with a thermometer and remove when the temperature reads 160' F.

You can top this loaf with ketchup, steak sauce, or you favorite barbecue sauce. I didn't top mine with anything and it was good. I think this loaf would make a great sandwich with good, whole grain bread, and something like Miracle Whip, or better yet, serve as an open faced sandwich with a rich beef gravy.

You may, or may not like the idea. But I was just in an experimenting mood. I added a touch too much salt to mine, which overpowered the more delicate flavors I was hoping to achieve. It was still pretty good though.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I love messing with meatloaf. This sounds really good, Chief! I would put in a center of mashed potato instead of the grated potato. Would also steam/saute the onion, garlic and carrots before adding to the mix.

I like to precook the veg to ensure it is cooked in the time frame of cooking the meatloaf.

Yum, you have me thinking meatloaf...

I love messing with meatloaf. This sounds really good, Chief! I would put in a center of mashed potato instead of the grated potato. Would also steam/saute the onion, garlic and carrots before adding to the mix.

I like to precook the veg to ensure it is cooked in the time frame of cooking the meatloaf.

Yum, you have me thinking meatloaf...

Oh yeh:yum:, a center of smashed, or even riced spuds with butter right down the middle, in, say, a three inch circle. I think the spuds would have to be a little stiff so that they could be rolled into a couple of tubes, then place in the center. The onions, and carrots would be pre-cooked until they had that semi-hard texture that I so love, and mixed in with the meat loaf. Place half ot the meat mixture into the loaf pan, use a three inch cup turned sideways to make a depression half way up the cup, lengthwise into the meat, place the potato tubes into the depression, then add the remaining loaf mixture first to the sides, and then on top, to try to preserve the round shape.

I could also see this working with a good rice, or bread dressing in place of the smashed spuds. You got me thinking too.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I like the idea of the peas and carrots peeking out from each slice of meatloaf but I would put the potato on the outside, think baked Alaska.

Mashed potato, an egg yolk or two, some grated cheese, cover the outside of the meatloaf, drizzle with butter and pop into a hot oven to brown.

You could even make the meatloaf ahead and reheat it in the oven while you mix up a quick potato topping using a pouch of instant mashed potatoes.

or how about individual meatloaf muffins frosted with the mashed potato topping and served with a drizzle of brown gravy, sort of a meatloaf volcano for kids. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Here is a basic version from the folks at McCormick.

Baked Alaska Meat Loaf | McCormick

Don't stop playing with your food!

Last edited:
I like the idea of the peas and carrots peeking out from each slice of meatloaf but I would put the potato on the outside, think baked Alaska.

Mashed potato, an egg yolk or two, some grated cheese, cover the outside of the meatloaf, drizzle with butter and pop into a hot oven to brown.

You could even make the meatloaf ahead and reheat it in the oven while you mix up a quick potato topping using a pouch of instant mashed potatoes.

or how about individual meatloaf muffins frosted with the mashed potato topping and served with a drizzle of brown gravy, sort of a meatloaf volcano for kids. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Here is a basic version from the folks at McCormick.

Baked Alaska Meat Loaf | McCormick

Don't stop playing with your food!

That picture in the McCormick URL looks amazing. So let's up it a tad more. Make a mince of mushroom and onions to stuff into the center of the meat loaf, then top it with the potatoes and cheese. Or, make a great bread dressing to put in the center of the meatloaf, again with the mashed potatoes on the outside.

Gotta go and drive a couple hours now, to see DW. Gotta put her first, above everything else.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom