ISO - Healthy School Lunch Box Ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cookie69

Assistant Cook
Hello it's the newbe , trying to get around in here so If you see this topic twice in here because i was trying to post it here and I think I posted it in private ....lol . I just wanted some healthy lunch box ideas . I usually put in sandwiches and leftovers and I do like to bake but don't do it as often as I should so I end up buyng those crappy store bought snacks:( . Any ideas , thanks and have a GREAT SATURDAY !
Cookie

Welcome! I understand about posting, believe me, I'm fairly new and I've posted in the wrong places. It's ok, there are a lot of threads to figure out which is the right one.

No longer have anyone to pack school lunches for, however, I will offer a suggestion that I use to do. Have your children help pack their lunch the night before. Give them options, give them three different main items to choose from and they select the rest with your guidance.

They are much more likely to eat the entire lunch if they had a hand in putting it together.

Also, and to this day my daughter still talks about this, when they go to bed, add a special note from you in their lunch bag. She would LOVE reading notes of encouragement at lunchtime, put a smile on her face. Such as, if they have a test that day, tell them they will do great and how proud you are of them. Even a Happy Face with a "I Love You! Hope you are having a great day!" Just knowing Mom did something special will brighten their day.

FF

Last edited:
Hi Cookie! Welcome to DC.

Are the lunches for you, or for kid lunches.

Either way, a wide mouth thermos is a useful container for hot things. Soups and stews.

One of the things I have been doing more this sumer for dinner, but would work just as well for lunches is make main dish salads using sliced leftover chicken or steak, more chicken than steak, but you get the idea. Previous, I used these leftovers in casseroles, but I am trying to eat less pasta (and bread). Layered taco salads minus the shell, start with lettuce, add cold taco meat or beans and whatever else you like in taco dishes. A hand ful of chips on the side if you must. I load it with more veggies than if it was a taco. Serve the salsa/ dressing from a separate small container. Likewise, a chicken or tuna salad on lettuce rather than in a sandwich.

I think they make low calerie bread, maybe it's just gluten free or thin sliced, but I Love sandwiches for lunch. Maybe you can continue doing that on a treat day you get to splurge.

Yes , I did mean mostly for my kids but for me and my hubby to because I also pack lunches for the 2 of us .

I think that salad in a jar is a fun idea. When I use to bring my lunch to work, it was always salads, but in a ziplock and then plated for lunch. People would want me to make lunch for them because they were very interesting. I'm really into plating, even if it is just for me. If I'm going to eat it, I want it to look lovely. Why not?

Back
Top Bottom