California Fires

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cheryl J

Chef Extraordinaire
I don't want to clog up any of our off topic threads with the catastrophic California fires, so thought I'd post a .gov link below for anyone who is interested in updates. Easier to find more accurate info there than on the news.

The 'more info' link next to the name of the fire has a lot of updated info on current acres burned, containment, structures destroyed, structures threatened, and the mindboggling amount of personnel and equipment involved to fight these fires.

It's amazing that only one person has died, but thousands are homeless and have lost everything. :(

Current Fire Information

Last edited:
Living with fires is not all it's cracked up to be, that's for sure. Even though I am far away from fires now, I can still smell and breathe them in. We have had smoky haze for a couple of days now.

Here's hoping and praying for rain in the right spots and lots of it.

Us, too, in Oregon. The smoke from the wild fires has drifted almost a hundred miles on some days. I so feel for all those that lost their homes. I cannot imagine. It's been the worst drought ever. We are suppose to FINALLY get rain tomorrow. They keep on saying this and we haven't seen a GOOD rain since MARCH! We are praying hard that it does.

Thanks for the prayers and good thoughts, princess. It's tough to breathe that smoky air.

FF, I've been reading about the Oregon fire as well - something like 18,000 acres burned! It's horrible.

The last I read about the CA fires this morning was that 24,000 people are displaced. :(

I've had a bunch of disappointed firefighters calling me to find out where I am, they were looking forward to my cooking this year...guess my decision to move didn't just effect Shrek and I.

Awww....I bet they ARE disappointed, princess. Nice that they called you, though. Maybe you can cook good eats for the local fire department there in your new little town...? :chef: :)

Last edited:
Awww....I bet they ARE disappointed, princess. Nice that they called you, though. Maybe you can cook good eats for the local fire department there in your new little town...? :chef: :)

We have a Volunteer department and we have met them all, they did a BBQ fundraiser about a week after we moved in. Not much need for a giant support crew, but they have my number if they need me.

We were diverted back in the opposite direction yesterday afternoon. Had we not stopped to have a bite to eat we would have been caught on that road.Took the long way home.We have friends that live in this area.I sent my son a txt and a pic of the smoke that we could see from the road.He said it looked like we had been nuked.It's 101 in the shade here today.

It was bad enough that huge passenger planes were being diverted away from it all.Scary seeing one of them flying really low and slow in circles until it was safe for them to land.Actually saw a red sun.

To the Cal Fire Department Men/Women.Thank you!
Keep safe.

Tassajara Fire General Information

Last edited:
We were diverted back in the opposite direction yesterday afternoon. Had we not stopped to have a bite to eat we would have been caught on that road.Took the long way home.We have friends that live in this area.I sent my son a txt and a pic of the smoke that we could see from the road.He said it looked like we had been nuked.It's 101 in the shade here today.

It was bad enough that huge passenger planes were being diverted away from it all.Scary seeing one of them flying really low and slow in circles until it was safe for them to land.Actually saw a red sun.

To the Cal Fire Department Men/Women.Thank you!
Keep safe.

Tassajara Fire General Information

Wow, Munky...glad you were able to get away from that! Holy cow, that's one of 2 more fires that are ravaging California. I'll be watching this one, and send a prayer and thanks for our firefighters as well. My son in law is a firefighter, and he has been mighty busy. So sad for all.

Do most home owners in fire ravaged areas carry fire insurance? It's bad enough to lose all your possessions.

Homeowners insurance covers fire loss and usually will set you up in temporary housing while rebuilding. If you have a mortgage, you have to have homeowners. There are probably many families though who have had a total loss.

I have an extra rider for earthquake coverage on my policy...just in case. There aren't any buildings over 2 stories high out here where I am in the middle of nowhere, but better safe than sorry.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom