ISO - Chocolate Orange Cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Desmond

Washing Up
Hi I had a breef stint cooking in a restaurant. They made a chocolate orange cake. What I seem to know is they remove the zest from oranges and add them to the main cake. They use a juice extractor and then sift out the remaining bits. The juice is somehow combined with gelatine to make it solidified. This is then put on top of the main cake. What happens next. melted chocolate and cream is used to cover the cake and those famous terry's (UK / Poland) chocolate egg slices are placed around the top.

I would love to replicate this. Are there any recipes like this or do I have to re-invent the wheel?

What is the purpose of the gelatine? I've seen cakes with a syrup of citrus juice and confectioners sugar poured over the top that soaks in and adds moisture and flavor to the cake, but not gelatine.

Yes thanks that is the top part but if you slice it in half you see a thin 1/4 inch yellow orange gelatine. I hope I will not be sued by them as the terries (company) chocolate slices of orange around the top might be patented?

The gelatin sounds like the old Poke Cake. You poked holes in the top and then poured the gelatin in them. :angel:

No the recipie actualy has gelatine. I think that she added it to the juice she extracted from 4 oranges. and boiled it up. I think she would have pored it into a cake tin to 1/4 inch and let it set. She woud then place it on top of the cake.

She definatly used fresh squezed orange juice and the recipe called for gelatine.

For thouse of you who don't live in the UK. A chocolate company based in York made a chocolate orange. Chocolate flavoured with orange. 2 years ago they sold the recipie to poland and the recipie got changed. to see what they are and what she did by placing the segments around the top of the (now covered in chocolate) cake...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry%27s_Chocolate_Orange

If anyone thinks it would be improved in anyway by using marmalade but this uses fresh squiesed orange. for the chocolate coating prior to putting the terrs orange slices, she heated up some crem and added chocolate buttons into it to melt. so it was a mixture of chocolate cram and maybe something else ???

Last edited:
... for the chocolate coating prior to putting the terrs orange slices, she heated up some crem and added chocolate buttons into it to melt. so it was a mixture of chocolate cram and maybe something else ???

It's ganache - I linked to a recipe above. It's just chocolate and cream, very easy to make.

Sued for what?
Well this is her own recipie using the famouse terrys oranges (York uk) and using that as a theme she made a chocolate cake with a hidden layer of orange solidified layer using gelatine. Her invention and it is a well sought after cake. You wouldn't find that recipie on the internet.

Do cake manufactures have interlectual propery rights like car manufacturer's or other things?

Last edited:
The written recipe is copyrighted and you can't republish it without permission. But you can try to recreate it. Nothing stops you from doing that.

would it not make sence to put the chocolate in a the microwave and mealt it first as well as heat the cream. Would spead things up a bit?

Yes thanks that is the top part but if you slice it in half you see a thin 1/4 inch yellow orange gelatine. I hope I will not be sued by them as the terries (company) chocolate slices of orange around the top might be patented?

I don't think they would sue if you are just making the cake for your own personal consumption. I would be sued by Hershey's for making smores with their candy bars if that were the case.

Of course, if you were making these cakes to sell for profit, then there would be an issue if they ever found out that their chocolate orange slices were being resold by a consumer for profit.

The cake sounds delicious, by the way.

Can anyone help on this? In the making of the chocolate cake Carla had a large plastic ring with spokes. The itea is you place it over the cake before it has time to set and leave markings equaly spaced for cutting up the cake.

would it not make sence to put the chocolate in a the microwave and mealt it first as well as heat the cream. Would spead things up a bit?

When you've never done something before, it's usually best to follow the instructions. Then, if necessary, you can try to improve on it. It only takes a couple minutes for hot cream to melt the chocolate.

The gelatin sounds like the old Poke Cake. You poked holes in the top and then poured the gelatin in them. :angel:

I remember those cakes. Weren't they popular in the 50's? Gelatin was all the rage and there were recipes for everything using it. I have one of the recipes books that is all gelatin recipes from the 70's and still use it today. I treasure that little book. Some of the flavors aren't available anymore like the vegetable flavor. I so remember at family gatherings someone would have a gelatin dish with shredded carrots in it. I think they used orange gelatin.
The combinations are endless.

Back
Top Bottom