Best by Date?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So I have a can of Cream of Mushroom soup and the best by dat is 3/15. Is this still good to use?

That should be no problem. There's a big difference between a "best before" date and a "use by" date. When I was in the Army years ago, most of the ration packs had things like M&Ms etc in them (for quick energy) and they were at least 8 months past its best before date, but they still tasted fine. I think it might be a legal requirement to have a 'best before' date on them because all food products have it, but do we really think stuff like salt would go off? Doubt it...

I remember seeing some sort of posh bottled water that claimed it was "filtered through glaciers over the last few thousand years" when it was bottled, but it had "best before" date on it for next year. I had quite a chuckle over it...

:LOL:

Attachments

• 1442669152154.jpg
    1442669152154.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 210
I needed to open a new bottle of Worcestershire sauce (big one from Costco) and looked at the date. 2013!
Took all this time to use the first one we opened.
I used it and put the bottle in the fridge.
Am I safe?

Companies put best by dates on their products hoping you will consume it quickly and buy more.

There is a reason that canned goods were the main food source stocked in fallout shelters. As long as the can stays sealed, the contents are pretty much good for a millennium or two. Has anyone ever looked to see if there is a best by date on their honey? That would be hilarious.

I needed to open a new bottle of Worcestershire sauce (big one from Costco) and looked at the date. 2013!
Took all this time to use the first one we opened.
I used it and put the bottle in the fridge.
Am I safe?

Mine is of similar vintage. I'm using it.

My point exactly! There are a number of foods that don't expire per se. Honey, for example, can never be subject to mould or bacteria so it will never spoil. Salt, sugar etc will never spoil as well, but it doesn't stop ants from attacking it ;-)

A buddy of ours, who has apiaries and sells honey in Mexico, told me many distributers cut their honey with brown sugar, corn syrup, or other sweeteners. That might cut the shelf life a bit. Also, a lot of the honey here in the states isn't real, particularily if it comes from China.

Otherwise, real honey should have no expiration date, the honey found in Egyptian tombs was still good!

A buddy of ours, who has apiaries and sells honey in Mexico, told me many distributors cut their honey with brown sugar, corn syrup, or other sweeteners. That might cut the shelf life a bit. Also, a lot of the honey here in the states isn't real, particularly if it comes from China.

Otherwise, real honey should have no expiration date, the honey found in Egyptian tombs was still good!

+1. One of my fellow master gardeners has hives and sells his honey at the farmers market, where I buy it, so I know it's real. And it has a wonderful flavor. If people have the option of buying local honey directly from beekeepers, I recommend it.

Some states (and maybe all states) have a requirement that all products be dated. So you can't reliably base a quality decision based on whether or not the honey has a sell by date.

+1. One of my fellow master gardeners has hives and sells his honey at the farmers market, where I buy it, so I know it's real. And it has a wonderful flavor. If people have the option of buying local honey directly from beekeepers, I recommend it.

At the Topsfield Fair, the beekeepers all showcase their products with the signs telling you what flowers the pollen was gathered from. And you can also participate in collecting the honey from the combs and cleaning the honey.

As a kid I got my fill of honey when we went down to the cranberry bogs. We would put a handful of cranberries and then go over to a hive, pull out a comb, shake off the bees and suck the honey off. Cranberries alone very sour! :angel:

Back
Top Bottom