Antipasti Wednesday, 9-23-15

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medtran49

Master Chef
We had gougeres filled with mascarpone, roasted garlic, crispy pancetta, with a drizzle of reduced balsamic, plus grilled asparagus with parm shavings (Craig likes his parm) and a tossed caprese salad, both dressed with a light lemon juice, garlic, olive oil, S and P dressing.

37240-albums1008-picture6278.jpg

37240-albums1008-picture6279.jpg

37240-albums1008-picture6280.jpg

Last edited:
Looks and sounds really good, medtran. :yum:

I had a taco salad late this afternoon with all the trimmin's, including diced avocado. Very filling. I might have a bowl of watermelon a little later on.

{today is the 23rd, maybe a mod will come along and change the date. :)}

Last edited:
We went to a fine dining restaurant here in Pittsburgh. It was magnificent! Multiple courses, each better than the last. I had a pork chop with the entire rib bone still attached, a beautiful peach sauce with a bit of grainy mustard and roasted pistachios. That was served with purple garlic mashed potato and broccolini tossed in brown butter. The breads were all amazing. We shared a cartoucherie plate with wonderful cured meats and local cheeses. An amuse bouche was brought, but it had shrimp, so I gave it to Rob, Rob and friends loved it. My dessert was a thin layer of rich chocolate cake topped with a peanut butter mousse and garnished with bacon peanut brittle. We were sent home with a cute little bag containing a macadamia bar.

This restaurant was hanging off the edge of Mount Washington overlooking downtown Pittsburgh. What a great experience.

This was the view from our table.

Sent from my XT1080 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Attachments

• 1443056640734.jpg
    1443056640734.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 164
Lobstah! Tourists have mostly left, and they can't ship soft shells, so the price has dropped. Steamed lobster with a side of black bean and corn salad (Cheryl J recipe).

Lobstah! Tourists have mostly left, and they can't ship soft shells, so the price has dropped. Steamed lobster with a side of black bean and corn salad (Cheryl J recipe).

Not for long. The leaf peepers are on the way. Brace yourself! :angel:

Got a good deal on chicken breasts, so fried up some nuggets and made some country gravy. It was so good that I forgot a vegetable.

Been cooking quick meals when we ran out of leftovers, although we did a pizza run last night. Today, I cooked. Used up the last of a package of bacon, sauteing it, taking the crisp bacon out, and following with onions and then mushrooms. Let that cool while I chopped the last of the ham, added in scrambled eggs and defrosted hash browns, and mixed everything together. Baked it in an 8" square Corningware until set, then topped with cheddar cheese and baked about 5 minutes more. Slabs of that were accompanied by a fruit salad that cleaned up the last bits of cantaloupe, strawberries, and kiwi. Tomorrow, take-out again. I'm getting too old for garage sales...:(

Attachments

• 2015-09-23 20.35.08.jpg
    2015-09-23 20.35.08.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 157
  • 2015-09-23 20.35.40.jpg
    2015-09-23 20.35.40.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 180
What a remarkable and special evening BC!

We had simple fare. Brined and fried thick loin pork chops, seasoned with Penzey's Arizona Dreaming(love that stuff)/garlic powder. Green salads and a baked spud on the side.

I made a frozen cardboard sausage pizza spiffed up with pineapple salsa, added more onion, added whole discs of seranno chilies, canned mandarin oranges and after it was baked, topped with diced garden fresh tomatoes. There's a little left for a midnight snack, though I am not feeling too hungry. Maybe breakfast.

We went to the local Irish pub and both had fish and chips. They do a good job of f&c. Had the chips with malt vinegar.

What great sounding dinners this evening! :yum: Bakechef, that's a gorgeous view and your dinner sounds wonderful - I could almost taste it from your description.

Tenspeed, I'm glad you like the doctored up version of the corn and bean salad I found on allrecipes. I like my version better than theirs, too. :LOL:

Last edited:
Tenspeed, I'm glad you like the doctored up version of the corn and bean salad I found on allrecipes. I like my version better than theirs, too. :LOL:

I put in more cumin - about a half tablespoon, and only one jalapeno. Depending on the rest of the dinner, I may up the cumin and jalapeno. I wanted to keep it fairly mild with lobster. As a side to burgers, well, that will be a different story!

Back
Top Bottom