What is the best tool to make chimichurri sauce?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

legend_018

Head Chef
What is the best tool to make Chimichurri sauce in?
I don't get it. I have a powerful immersion blender, a small food processor, a nice food chopper.

This isn't the first time I've run into this problem.
I followed a small recipe to make chimichurri sauce. It's so small that nothing I put it in really does the tricky. Why can't I find a tool that no matter the size of the food, I can mix it up. The recipe was 3 tablespoons of oil, 1 tablespoon of red vinegar, garlic, parsely, oregeno, garlic, red pepper flakes, s/p.

I ended adding water and made it watery. Actually I started off adding more oil but then added some water. My immersion blender blades couldn't quite mix it really good.

In the past, I've made the same mistake with similiar recipes and have tried my little chopper and even blender. I always have the same problem. Too small amount of ingredients for the blades to really get to it.

What am I missing?
also, even food processors are a pain because it's a small amount and the blade doesn't have much to work with and things cake onto the sides when the amount is so small. You don't know how many times I've said, I'm not making that again due to this kind of a thing

Last edited:
Assuming you don't want to double, triple the recipe, you'll have to do it by hand.

Chop up the garlic, parsley and oregano with a chef's knife and mix that with the other ingredients in a bowl.

Assuming you don't want to double, triple the recipe, you'll have to do it by hand.

Chop up the garlic, parsley and oregano with a chef's knife and mix that with the other ingredients in a bowl.

Funny thing is, the recipe was from Bobby Dean and it said use a blender or a small food processor. lol

When I make chimichurri sauce, I mince the ingredients finely with my chef's knife and put them all in a canning jar, then shake it good - shake it real good :LOL:

Not sure what you are referring to in regards to the small food processor, but I have a Cuisinart Mini-Prep for small mixing jobs. Only holds about a cup of liquid. Might be what you are looking for.

Mini-Prep® Processor White | Cuisinart

A woman from work is originally from Uruguay, so I asked her about chimichurri. No vinegar, just parsley, garlic, oil, and a bit of salt. They use it as a condiment, like ketchup. She told me that her father makes it in batches, and it doesn't go bad if refrigerated. I've read recipes that say you can keep it for a few days in the refrigerator. Seems to me that it should keep for a while.

In Argentina, they do put red wine vinegar in the chimichurri.

With that immersion blender, the whip attachment would work better than the chopping blade.

Last edited:
Just like everything else, people want to fuss over what is or isn't authentic. When we visited Argentina, for the most part we had Chimichurri with vinegar. But I've also had it made with lime juice, and it's tasty that way, too. As long as it has an acidic element, I think use whatever you prefer.

With regards to chopping it, if your food processor or stick blender (I probably wouldn't use that because it would completely puree the end product, which isn't what you want) won't adequately deal with small portions, I would either 1.) make a larger batch and freeze the unused portion, or 2.) chop the ingredients by hand. I often find it's more work to clean up the food processor than to just mince a few herbs on a cutting board.

Last edited:
Funny thing is, the recipe was from Bobby Dean and it said use a blender or a small food processor. lol

Not all recipe writers are good at it :LOL: I use what I have that will get the job done. I've been known to skip or combine steps if I think the recipe instructions are inefficient.

I often find it's more work to clean up the food processor than to just mince a few herbs on a cutting board.

I agree completely. The big food processor gets used once or twice a year. The mini prep is very easy to clean, but for small amounts it's the knife. I also have the 4 cup version of the mini prep (2 cups liquid), and will process in batches rather than clean the big one.

I agree completely. The big food processor gets used once or twice a year. The mini prep is very easy to clean, but for small amounts it's the knife. I also have the 4 cup version of the mini prep (2 cups liquid), and will process in batches rather than clean the big one.

I'm not sure why the size of the FP makes a difference. I just give the pieces a quick rinse and into the DW.

I would use one of these:

mash.jpg

Molcajete, I believe. That's what the Mexicans use. Makes great chimichurri, along with being a good spice grinder.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom